[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tldr; turned 24: Oct.2 Is thinking about college in March as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 447fa19bf.jpg (203KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
447fa19bf.jpg
203KB, 720x480px
tldr; turned 24: Oct.2
Is thinking about college in March as a programmer with no background information.

currently @restaurant w/ crap apartment.

thoughts?
also am I too old to try education?
>>
>>1566380
What do you do, serve? I came from the restaurant biz and just made it into IT, also am 24. You're not too old, you can escape just like I did. Answer these questions so we can help you out:

What savings do you have?
What's your usual work schedule?
How much would college cost?
Have you looked at bootcamps or online courses?
Why do you want to be a programmer?
>>
go to welding school, become a welder, make big bucks
>>
>>1566385
I have enough savings to almost pay off a failed semester when I was 18 and try again. This time as a non hipser towny fuccboi.

Schedule is literally off at Tom everyday go in at 8.same Two off days.

I'm in Cincinnati so our state college I like 7 grand a year I think? Right now I'm learning as much as I can from YouTube vids and a notebook I'm learning in and writting in l. Today I'm going to install my first interpreter and try to get SOME hands on.

Od like to be a programmer because it seems like a difficult position not easily achived and I want to be respected in a actual position. Something you need training it :)

Any advice my guy? Shit or information on how to train myself
>>
>>1566380
You're never too old, and you'll probably do way better than you would have as a kid.
Source: am 24 and still working on my degree
>>
>>1566387

My dude tells me to do this allllll the time. I'm giving college and my brain a crack. Or at least I want to...idk. if I fail out I'll definitely do that
>>
>>1566435

Gnarly. Thanks for the support?
Go long you been in and what are you taking, guy?
>>
>>1566380

If you want to work in corporate america (or even startups) you need a college degree. My current company doesn't hire anyone without one. Go to college but do it with the mindset that you're only there to get your bachelors degree. It doesn't matter in what, you're just there to pass classes and get your diploma. If you do it like this and pick something easy like psychology, you can do it both as quickly as possible and as cheaply as possible. During this time you should be studying javascript and learning the current hot packages and making a portfolio of your little apps, so when you graduate you can immediately start applying for webdev jobs. Go to the cheapest available option that isn't devry or itt-tech tier, overload your classes every semester, get at least a 3.0 gpa (so you can do a masters degree at a later point) and study programming independently
>>
>>1566431
I got an entry level IT job that pays more than serving by being totally self-taught. What I did was work for like 8 months non-stop, picking up shifts like an absolute madman. Cracked down on my spending, picked up closing shifts so I could get a shift meal, literally anything I could do to save a few more pennies. I saved up like 10k and then quit my job, switching to studying full time. I did some courses on khan academy, datacamp, stuff like that to find out what I liked. Then I narrowed down my focus to linux administration and got a subscription to linux academy. I did their essentials course and got the certification, then applied to a job and just landed it the other day. I found that going back to school would be too expensive and not necessary, so I just learned everything online. Chances are, what you learn in school is going to be outdated anyway. I mean in 4 years, things change a lot.

Anyway, my advice would be to save as much as you can and then quit or go part-time. It's really hard to focus on your studies when you have to worry about making rent and you're stressed about work. Especially as a server, you should find it easy to hustle a little, pick up some shifts, and save that guap. Don't get distracted by all the alcoholic losers who are stuck there for life. Don't go out for drinks after your shift.
>>
>>1566467
>making a portfolio
I definitely second this.
>>
>>1566467

Ok then that's great!

I figured tho degree would have to be computer based. Even graphic design (lol) at least.

Got any suggestions for learning tutorials?
>>
>>1566468
Dude fuck losers. They're the reason I'm 24 with not shit. FUCKING "friends". Thankfully I realized how stupid that shit is so no worries bro. I don't drink/smoke at all anymore. Super encouraging words and of no ones told you im proud of you man. Thats some cool achivement story u made for urself.
>>
>>1566468
I've never heard of khans academy or any of that. What.
>>
>>1566514

Doesn't have to be computer based unless you're looking for real programming job, webdev (and android/ios apps) is a good entry point because they'll hire you as long as you can prove you can do it, where if you were applying for a c# job they'd want you to know harder cs concepts like discrete math etc. I suggest webdev to get your foot in the door, it would be good to have it on your resume if you wanted to apply to those other programming jobs.

For learning I suggest www.freecodecamp.com and www.codeschool.com. codeschool is paid but the lessons are better quality. freecodecamp is a good syllabus and has some good javascript problems to work on
>>
>>1566517
Thank you. It was a lot of hard work, and very relieved once I got this job lol. I am still in shock. Believe me, you're gonna have to be prepared to take this path on your own. You parents probably have no fucking clue about anything It related and will just give some vague answer if you ask them for advice or tell them about what you're learning. Losers at work will say you're wasting your time, they will make fun of you, because it makes them feel bad that they're being left behind. But fuck them, take control of your own life. Don't let others drag you down.

Check out https://www.coursereport.com/ for reviews, this was a great resource for me in deciding what to spend my time on. There is a LOT of free material out there- I see you've already started using YouTube. I didn't want to pay for anything unless I really had to or it was quality material. Here are some more:

https://www.khanacademy.org/
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.datacamp.com/

I would also suggest subscribing to some kind of "question of the day" email list, so you are reminded every morning of what you should be focusing on. I get something from http://www.professormesser.com/ every day, just a quick little reminder that you're on the right path and to keep your head in the right place.
>>
>>1566468
hey man, are there any courses that you would recommend me to take?
im almost 27, 4th semester computer science..but i dont wanna programm hard you know
>>
There lots of 22-26 year olds coming out of the military and going to school with their GI bill. Your age isn't abnormal at all. There's also lots of older people there just for the fun of it (housewives, retirees, etc.).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.