[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm being forced into a major change in my role at work,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

I'm being forced into a major change in my role at work, along with the rest of my part of the organization, and I am contemplating telling them tomorrow that they need to plan to move forward without me.

They're merging our traditional and digital marketing teams, making us be experts on both. I don't have any traditional experience, and am the most junior person on the management level. However, I have been tabbed by our SVP to run our biggest market because he thinks I have "the most potential."

That they're willing to hand over millions of dollars to my management is a huge compliment, but I'm not capable of this.

I guess the question is, should I keep this gig and let everyone see me fail miserably, threatening my long-term career chances, or advise them I am no good for this and likely end up being let go?
>>
This is a classic dilemma

> reorganization
> they want me to do a whole bunch of different things I maybe can't even do

What it comes down to is: $

If a job is gonna change everything and expect you to do different shit, than that job should pay you more, or at least have potential for a bunch more money in the immediate future.

But if your job market is great you can also jump ship.
>>
>>1565701

If you've got a big thirst, and you're gay....
>>
>>1565701
If you're planning on quitting anyway, why not give it a try and see it you can do it? The worst thing that will happen is that you'll get fired. Although it will very likely not come to that because you need to fuck up pretty badly to be fired for incompetence. What's more likely to happen is that you're going to go through some growing pains and you'll get yelled at a lot in the beginning until you learn the ropes through trial and error.
>>
>>1565701
you should never be afraid to make mistakes. and unless you're retarded, you can explain your way out of a failure
>>
>>1565710

My job market is good... If I want to relocate.

They did just throw me a huge raise that I didn't request, too. Just brought me in, said I deserved more money, asked if I was okay with that. That was only a few months after my relatively recent promotion, where I also got more money. I have doubled my salary in the past two months.

>>1565715

Leaving on my own terms is a lot better than getting fired. I can reasonably explain to another employer that the structure of the organization changed, and no longer fit with my long-term goals (which it doesn't). If I get very publicly humiliated by my own failure in the city, I'm going to be in really bad shape, and might have to move.

>>1565718

I'm not afraid of making mistakes, I'm afraid of taking on a role that I wouldn't be hired for if I was applying. Something I am wholly inexperienced in, being handed tens of millions of dollars of responsibility. I don't want to deal with the insane stress, either. My aspirations aren't as grand as my trajectory is taking me. I want to make a decent amount of money, and comfortably settle into something.
>>
>gets handed a huge opportunity
>a few years of hard work and long hours to make it work
>gives up instead

Some people are meant to be sheep I guess
>>
>>1565746

Okay, I'll bite... to what ends? Years of hard work and long hours, a huge potential to fail - for what?More cash? Ignoring family & friends? More stress? Just so they saw "I could do it," and throw me into the fire again and again?
>>
>>1565754

Just tell them you'll need a big box of tampons, along with your higher salary.

Are you kidding me with this shit? People would kill to be in your position. I say give it one month, if you don't like it, quit. Quit now and you'll regret it down the road.
>>
File: 1470057008081.jpg (69KB, 736x682px) Image search: [Google]
1470057008081.jpg
69KB, 736x682px
>>1565701
carry on acting like you'll never fail

use the new title to search for new jobs
>>
>>1565754
This pic was posted just now. How perfect

>>1565765
>>
>>1565754
>Ignoring family & friends?
Are you fucking kidding me? Are you fucking 19 or something that you're willing to pass up an opportunity you may never get again because you won't have time to get drunk with your friends? Here's a tip: your "friends" are probably jackass millennials who don't give a fuck about you. And if they do, they would tell you to take the job too. To hell with "friends and family," you're young and you're going to have plenty of time for that when you're settled into your new job. It's the guys that never move up that end up never having time to take a vacation. The guys at the middle and top management who seem so busy all the time, frantically making calls and pacing around the office are also the guys who end up taking a week off whenever they feel like and nobody does anything to them.
>>
>>1565779

I'm 30. I'm pretty well compensated as it stands right now - and I got myself into a good industry that is looking for major talent. I've been climbing the ladder insanely fast, but I can only fake it so much until I'm exposed.

I'm confident that an opportunity like this will present itself again - when I'm ready, when I have support, and when I have the resources not to fail.

This isn't babby's first job here, it's a change in role that doesn't come with a new title, new money, or whatever, just a canyon and a tightrope to the actual accolades. Feels like I'm being set up to fail.
>>
>not asking to appoint one of the traditional marketing guys as an advisor to help you learn

I thought of that in 30s. The SVP doesn't WANT you to fail. He will help you if you ask. Go to seminars, read online. Learn

Seriously people have done things 10000x harder than this and youve given up before you've began.
>>
>>1565801

This is not an option.

They are putting everyone into the same bucket here - it's clear why, they want to trim out the old guard, and have a use case for letting them go. There's a bigger game at play.

He doesn't want me to fail, but he's not sure what he's getting himself into. The most important point here is that I'm fantastic at making myself look good, but I'm lacking in the actual talent.

I'm not being self-deprecating, I'm just a fantastic liar. When it comes time to see the proof in the pudding, there's going to be a gap - eventually I'll learn it, but I'm not ready now.

I got forced out of my last job (left on my own terms, but it was clear I was failing) essentially for being asked to do the same thing, but failing, on a much smaller scale. I don't have any more experience now than I did then.
>>
This is going to sound retarded, but major job changes can be considered constructive dismissal. That means you might be able to collect unemployment. Laws vary so much by state, and are so convoluted that nobody here can help you.

If you really want out, a consult with an employment attorney will only set you back a couple hundred, and could let you walk out of this with a few months of pay while you look for something else to do. Get all the information about your old vs new job duties, and anything that you think might be relevant. Put a few hours into organizing things before you talk to anyone.
>>
>>1565854

Wow, amazing info... thanks!
>>
>>1565861
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There's a good chance that you won't be able to walk out and collect unemployment because "its still marketing", but you need to consult with someone who knows things better than you. He might be able to draft up some nice letters to swing things in your favor if it's legally murky. Most companies don't want to risk DOL/EEOC shitfests so will settle quickly. Just know that once you decide to pull the trigger with a lawyer, anything remotely related to HR or other management is your arch enemy.

The worst case scenario is you are out a couple hundred for a lawyer to go over stuff in detail. For what it's worth, I'd call that money well spent, just for the learning experience in the future.
>>
>>1565873
>For what it's worth, I'd call that money well spent, just for the learning experience in the future.

To clarify. Particularly from a management standpoint. Being able to say.. "hey guys.. this might be a really stupid idea that could open us up to liability if we don't incrementally do it over a year or two", and then hearing the same from your company lawyer is going to make you look like a genius.
>>
>>1565798
You are being given massively more responsibility and stress without a change in job title or income? That's bullshit and you should tell them such.

Yeah it does sorta feel like you're being set up to be the scapegoat. I dunno man, you should really ask yourself if you are being led into a trap.

And if you believe you are not, negotiate for the recognition and money your stress deserves, and go for it. Lotta money and you can retire to investment early, with pride knowing you reached the top.
>>
>>1565830
Fantastic at making a useless thing look good.

You do know that that is essentially what advertising is, right?
>>
>>1565887

I think the department as a whole is being set up for a big fall. I'm well connected enough to know that there's a portion of this change that is designed to push certain people out, but it's apparently not me.

>>1565901

Advertising is different than marketing. Marketing is numbers-driven, and I can't believe I ended up here, as a creative person. I can just do both.

I'm a smart guy, but I want to be happy instead of rich. I already have a nice house and a nice car, I don't know what the end game is supposed to be.

Fortune & glory, I suppose.
>>
>>1565940
Donate the money then, go build a playground, buy a horse, lots of guns, create a militia, get taken down by the CIA, sneak away to Mexico and live the rest of your life on a yacht on a personal item under the fake name of Fernando Suave.
>>
>>1565701
Fake it til you make it bro!
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.