[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an Economist with the BEA. If anyone has any questions/wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

I'm an Economist with the BEA. If anyone has any questions/wants to have a conversation about economics, I'm here to dick around
>>
Macro or Micro? What college?
>>
>>1565356
Do you think the GDP figures that are reported in the mainstream media are accurate representations of where GDP actually sits currently? Why or why not?
>>
>>1565356
Any proofs on that? How did you hear about 4chinz? Been here long?
>>
This is surely not an intellectual question as I'm sure you were hoping for, but how did you get into the business of Government economic analysis? Did you get your Masters first, or did your Bachelors suffice to get your foot through the door? How did you apply? I'd love to work for the BLS or BEA
>>
>>1565367
microdick, i assume
>>
Who is responsible for the great depression, 70s stagflation, japanese real estate bubble and housing bubble and why is it the government and not the free market?
>>
>>1565485
Concerning the last two events in your list, irrational exuberance on the part of the investor does not lead one to blame any governing body for overvalued asset prices.

In reference to 1970's stagflation within the US, see:
>http://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/1970-stagflation.asp
>>
>>1565356

describe getting hired there, or what they are looking for.

i'm too old for it now, but i tried for a number of government economist jobs when i got out of college, and i never heard a peep.
>>
File: brushing teeth .gif (3MB, 811x456px) Image search: [Google]
brushing teeth .gif
3MB, 811x456px
>>1565498
More importantly, why has Japan been in a state of stagnation for 20+ years?
>>
>>1565716
Google brah

>https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Japan-remain-in-stagflation
>>
>>1565356
Is there anyway to fix the ridiculous amount of US debt?

How long before they issue new debt just to cover the interest payments?

What is the end game?
>>
>>1565744
They mention South Korea as being worse off than the Japanese in terms of gender inequality, so I guess I'll assume the psyche must be a pretty powerful factor.

Is there a specific reason then why the Japanese psyche was much more influenced by the burst of the 1980s bubble than the South Korean psyche by the 1997 Asian financial crisis? Is it just magnitude?

Additionally, what kinds of steps can be taken to address these kinds of cultural issues? Especially in regards to population growth, this may be a bit out of your area of expertise, but is there really any steps the Japanese and any other associated nations, like Germany, South Korea, etc., can take to raise their birthrates?
>>
>>1565356
At my Univeristy, my first macroeconomic class seemed to have a lot on Keynesian economics, is Keynesian economics considered true and if not what kind of other economic theories are there??
>>
>>1566259
Austrian
>>
>>1566259
Not OP here, but the major ones are Keynesianism and Monetarism. There's a bit of overlap, but Keynesians believe in government spending, while monetarists believe in monetary stimulus.

Monetarists:
-New Monetarism: Stephen Williamson (http://newmonetarism.blogspot.com)
-Market Monetarism: Scott Sumner, Lars Christensen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_monetarism)
-Monetarism: Milton Friedman

Keynesianism:
-New Keynesians: Paul Krugman
-Post Keynesians: Paul Davidson, Jan Kregel (Keynesianism on steroids)
-Keynesianism: Keynes

There's a few more too
Austrians: Don't believe in using empirical data in economics, use praxeology instead
-Anarcho-capitalists: Murray Rothbard, Hans Hermann Hoppe, David Friedman
-Libertarians: Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek
>>
>>1566054
Nothing can be done to the nations you mentioned without Westernizing them so as to make their behavioral characteristics (and therefore investing characteristics and mindsets) similar to ones we are used to in Western countries. We can leave them their culture along with their fearful tendencies or we can change their culture and make them a carbon copy of the US/Europe with identical mindsets regarding investing and economics.

Not really my place to say which way is right or wrong, though.
>>
>OP not answering questions

Why has China defied all expectations for a collapse/hard landing since 2008?
Why has US growth been so slow since 2008?
Is it because the growth since 2009 been more equitable and better for the lower classes in America?
>>
>>1565744
>Japan
>stagflation

?

Consumer Prices today are lower than in 1990.
>>
>>1566960
....to compensate for stagflation. Keep up.
>>
>>1566986
>I am a retard

Yes we know that, but what about this "economist" posting shitty answers from quorum?
>>
>>1566986
There was no "stagnation" or meaningul "inflation" in 1980-1990 Japan.
>>
>>1566957
>Why has China defied all expectations for a collapse/hard landing since 2008?

Because they've banned all speculators trading in their country and don't even allow the average investor to take a short position on a company so to artificially inflate their equities markets which have the rest of their economy propped up at the moment.

>Why has US growth been so slow since 2008?

To control inflation, promote maximum employment of good jobs, and stabilize prices in both physical and financial assets. Check out this graph:

>http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

>>1566994
Why don't you try refuting my claims instead of getting butt-mad and arguing via ad hominem?
>>
>>1567001
Very interesting. Cite your source on this?

Here's mine:
>http://www.inflation.eu/inflation-rates/japan/historic-inflation/cpi-inflation-japan.aspx

I'll wait..
>>
File: image.jpg (256KB, 640x1049px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256KB, 640x1049px
>>1567008
>>1567013
http://www.nber.org/chapters/c0092.pdf

Furthermore, inflation was 2.5% average 1980-1990 Japan. In my source it's the third or fourth page.

Japan never had stagflation. It has been in a deflationary environment since 1990, and in a BSR from 1990-2005.
>>
>>1567034
If you're assuming a target inflation rate of 2%, then your argument holds weight.

I can see what you're trying to say, but I disagree. I think the 1980's monetary policy of the Japanese directly lead to the Lost Decade(s) of the 1990's and (arguably) the early 2000's.
>>
>>1567052
Monetary policy was only a piece of the reason.

The Japanese Central Bank followed standard monetary prescription in 1985-1995.

And yet they still failed to stop the bubble and crash
>>
>>1567052
Japan's situation is what happens when your potential GDP growth rate goes from 4% to 1% in 5 years.
>>
>>1565356
What consumes a person to willingly live in LA? In a cost of living sense.
>>
>>1567486
The marginal propensity to consume, of course!
>>
>>1566052
Pls respond
>>
>>1566052
US debt doesn't need to be fixed

Just have the government nationalize it and stealthily turn it into inflation
>>
OK so I am not sure this is the right place for this but I wasent sure where to post... So I have recently been trying to build my credit the only thing on my credit report is an unpaid electric bill from about 5 years ago... I have been working at a fairly good job for about a year now and just applied for a secured capital one credit card and was denied does anyone have any advise on how to move forward and start building my credit up??
>>
>>1567804
How exactly does that work logistically?
>>
>>1567804
it does that already. thats why the fucking subprime crysis happened in the first place. The banks create a product that does not exist, with the help of the Fed, sell it to the public, the public go wild with it, and refinance the price of this product, the market creates betting system based on the future outcome of this product, that will keep paying itself since the fed will keep printing money to the banks, until someone figures there is a fraud going on. that the central banking system is in truth a green card for frauds. that in the end will drop the debt into the common citizent that took a retarded loan in the first place. so the system only works for a while : the dumb public get loans that they cannot pay, the banks refinance it for ever, the government pretends its allright and get some money on the elections, until someone in the market figures out the math is wrong. so my conclusion is : the central banks are a mistake, we should back the money on some other form of not inflationary currency or comodity. Giving it to the people to pay in form of inflation is not just wrong, but counter productive.
>>
>>1568455
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. It baffles me that someone who knowingly has no information to provide about the topic being discussed would even bother responding in the first place, much less type a paragraph with horrible grammar, no valid points, and blatantly wrong positions on some pretty basic financial topics.

Roll rating: 8/10, would not respond again
>>
>>1568420
it means one day all the gangsters decide it's worthless and then society and the economy starts degrading
>>
>>1565356

How to isolate and deal with a regional/location specific pricing bubble in a housing market due to high immigration and lack of land.

Using monetary policy to deal with it might have a net negative impact on this small economy country since it cannot afford higher rates in other regions.

Focused solutions. ...
>>
>>1565356
My majors economics what am I in for?
>>
>>1569783
Tax on all foreign buyers.

Raise it until they go away
>>
>>1565356
If you had to make one of the two president, Hillary or donald? Don't say neither
>>
>>1569880
Not OP or that guy answering OP's questions for him... but my degree was in Economics. You are in for a boring job making at least $40k starting right out of college.

At least that was my experience upon graduating. Now I work in the big data meme kek
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.