[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips for asking my boss for a raise? I have a regularly scheduled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1451287459308.gif (1MB, 406x449px) Image search: [Google]
1451287459308.gif
1MB, 406x449px
Any tips for asking my boss for a raise? I have a regularly scheduled 1 on 1 tomorrow and I need to broach the subject.

I'm a programmer, been there for a year, making 58k annually. I have quotes from other departments that my custom tools quintupled their work output. I am also the only person that maintains these tools.
>>
>>1560975
Pamper him/her in a charming manner. Ask in a nice way while letting your boss know that you're kind of a big deal and he can't hire or delegate somebody else to do it.

This is where being a sneaky, clever asshole matters a lot, as well as some legal knowledge. Are the tools coded in such a way that only you can manage them and understand their source code?
Are you capable of locking those tools so nobody may use them except for you?
>>
Be willing to quit over it
>>
>>1560982
> Only you can manage them
No. It's C#, not that complicated.
> Capable of locking the tools
No, everything's on a repo owned by the company.

I have about two years of professional experience at this point, and I've had this job for 1 year.
>>
>>1560975
could you make more elsewhere?

if so then this>>1560985

just explain that you've quintupled their shit up right (and put that in your resume for your next job) and you would like to be compensated adequately for the work you're doing. if the dude says no, then find a job paying you more.
>>
>>1560975
Why don't you already have like 3 job offers lines up from other companies?
>>
>>1560995
Haven't been hunting too much. I get a lot of recruiters bugging me because I have experience coding for VR, but I've been mostly ignoring them,.
>>
>>1560999
The more offers you have when negotiating your raise the better your bargaining position
This should really go without saying
>>
>>1561002
I have a meeting tomorrow, another in two weeks, then I'm going on medical leave for 2 months with remote working. Should I wait to bring it up? We're in the middle of releasing a new version of our product and my value is going to be at an all time high.
>>
>>1561009
Have an offer lined up before you broach the topic otherwise you have no leverage
>>
>>1561015
Alright, guess I'll table it.
>>
have you actually increased your value? aquired new skills, courses, certification?

did you add value on your own initiative and insight?

or did you just stick around for a year building what they told you to build so anyone else would have given them the same value?
>>
>>1560975
Point out that you've always been on time, you put in extra work, and you never take sick days, and you'll get a raise.

If you don't do those things you shouldn't ask for a raise.
>>
literally suck him off
offer him a deal where each time he gets sucked off he has to raise your pay by $0.50 an hour. once your pay is high enough to your liking you could re-negotiate the deal to have it raised to $1 per dick sucking etc
>>
>>1560975
Some serious advice for you OP.

When you are trying to go for a raise, you have to do 3 things.

1) You have to show how valuable you are for the company and how much you have offered in a detailed and thorough presentation.
2) You have to be stern and strong-looking but without being intimidating when you ask for the raise. You have to show determination that you want to achieve the raise, just like you have t oshow determination while explaining your work.
3) You should not try to force it or threaten him. That will get you fired. You have to guilt-trip him though to believe that it is a mistake to not give you a raise since you are so useful.

Speaking as a person who got a raise twice in a single year, my first year, of working in a pan-Scandinavic company.
>>
>>1561150
>1) You have to show how valuable you are for the company and how much you have offered in a detailed and thorough presentation.
>2) You have to be stern and strong-looking but without being intimidating when you ask for the raise. You have to show determination that you want to achieve the raise, just like you have t oshow determination while explaining your work.
>3) You should not try to force it or threaten him. That will get you fired. You have to guilt-trip him though to believe that it is a mistake to not give you a raise since you are so useful.
Statistically speaking you're better off skipping all this and just getting a better offer somewhere else. Then if you want to be charitable to your current employer inform them of the offer so they have the opportunity to counter with a better offer.
>>
>>1561017
Don't listen to him.

If you've increased productivity elsewhere by 400% and are the lone man to maintain these tools, you deserve a raise.

Just be polite, and let him know that you feel you're deserving of it, without being pushy.
>>
>>1560975
God damn i love this gif. Time to do some all-zone runs.
>>
Size of city? population. currently trying to make it as a programmer and live in nowhere land.
>>
I make more than you working 2-3 weeks a month driving a truck. I thought you computer science geeks brag about six figures starting on /g/ all the time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.