[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

starting a new business, wondering what you think about my l

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: hotdogcat.jpg (47KB, 640x566px) Image search: [Google]
hotdogcat.jpg
47KB, 640x566px
starting a new business, wondering what you think about my layout and if it might attract customers.

adamalveyfilm.com
>>
Does the job I guess.

How is the contact page working out for you: does not having a easily viewed pricing structure or preset packages prove to be a problem?

Maybe make your "about page" more specifically about how you like capturing people's special moments rather than yourself. I dunno.
>>
Could be fleshed out a bit more, but the simplicity is nice.
>>
Specifics:

You have too much goddamn clutter on the front page, it takes forever to load.

Take almost all of that shit and put it in the "my work" tab.

"Don't hesitate to call" is kind of an old-fashioned, corny thing to say. It also stinks of "please hire me, I'm eating ramen".
I'd just put "E-mail or call for pricing details and help designing your perfect wedding or event."

"to Fish in Iceland" is really awkward and doesn't even make sense.

General:

You might want to hire someone to do your site, because your page looks every old-fashioned. Websites are more complex nowadays, and you just look like maybe you're stuck in the past.

A modern couple want traditional weddings, but they want the style to be modern. And your style isn't. (Based on the site, I didn't bother watching any of the videos.)
>>
Have you guys called Adam to test out his customer service? 1 (801) 867 3767
>>
>>1557278
the vids are good and youre clearly good at what you do, but the website isnt professional enough imo

you need to make the front page a lot more immersive. something like this:
artisticweddingfilms.com

but maybe even have a video in the background

the first impression to a website is so important for your business
>>
>>1557278
Here's the link to my graphic design company maybe we can help you http://www.76designs.com/
>>
>>1557523
I was going to at 3am, since the site says to call "any time day or night."
>>
>>1557278
This is really great I'm just going to be an asshole and caveat on all the other comments and hope i can help so here I go woooo

>>1557487
The simplicity is nice and if you do further work it should be maintained it matches the wedding theme well.
>>1557467
He is right~ the customer wants to read about themself when they read about you, and be upfront about your pricing and packaging honesty is policy.
>>1557488
I think the home page could be done differently as well most of this information can be displayed beautifully on the front page with only one video the rest should go into my work.
I think "Don't Hesitate to call" is actually more modern and its comes off as humble, humble men do great work "E-mail or call for pricing and designing your perfect wedding" might make someone think you're trying to con them.
>>1557523
I might call you but if i do it would just be to talk /biz/ is that alright?
>>1557530
I think the name of the website gives a good agency/firm type vibe which is much better imo to the product especially if you want to get into social networking, if I had to re-name the website, I would just use your last name Alveyfilm.com
>>1557546
Call them OP maybe they can help.
>>
>>1557547

Well, what happens if someone wants to get married under the bright moonlight? Would you turn down the opportunity to document someone's love?
>>
Are you a neo nazi OP? What's with the all white couples? Get some diversity before some normie feminazi liberal finds your site.
>>
*sniffs*
yep it's a shill
>>
>>1557278

Great job. Great site.

This is more than enough. I worked in film for 3 years and my brother is a director who has worked on about a dozen feature films.

I'd stick with what you got. Now go sell it, market it, refer it.

Get business make money. I know a lot about the film business, and a pretty good amount about photography. AMA.
>>
>>1557601

Perfect.
>>
>>1557610
>my brother is a director who has worked on about a dozen feature films.
This is very relevant to me.

I'm going to vomit out some questions, feel free to pick and choose which you answer because any insight would be welcome.

>is your brother in L.A.?
>If you don't like "Hollywood" is it better to go to New York, or even London to kick off a film directing career
>Lets say I'm a newly minted film grad, let's say I have access to a little bit of private capital -- should I smash out like 3-6 short films over 2 years, or one micro-budget feature: which will get me more mileage?
>How early on do I need an agent? Is it a matter of wait until they approach you, or should you activity seek one?
>If you're releasing a film -- of any length -- is it worth hiring a publicist or a P.R. firm or just do it yourself and spend the money on advertising.
>How do you go about marketing yourself as a particular type of filmmaker, for myself I'd love to work for High Fashion doing their promotional videos/editorials etc.? (but really it could be any niche,but let's use that as an example)
>Is hoping for a sales agent or to get an idea picked up by a producer even worth it anymore? or have SVOD and on Demand video become the future?
>What metrics do studios, producers etc. etc. look at on say... social media reach of a film before they approach?

Thanks m8
>>
>>1557278
this wasnt supposed to be a feels thread, anon...
>>
OP your website is shit and makes me think you're a kid/amateur when you have good/great previous work examples as far as i can tell, but im no cinematographer/director/videographer. but i do make websites.

Great you have a phone number up here, hope its not a personal number. you can try google voice to get a second number that is forwarded to your personal phone.

And get an email from your domain. you can try zoho mail for free email with your domain. e.g., [email protected]
>>
>>1557701

>is your brother in L.A.?
Atlanta
>If you don't like "Hollywood" is it better to go to New York, or even London to kick off a film directing career
Atlanta is best right now. LA is good though. You can live and work and LA without being a part of that faggot scene. its just a job.
>Lets say I'm a newly minted film grad, let's say I have access to a little bit of private capital -- should I smash out like 3-6 short films over 2 years, or one micro-budget feature: which will get me more mileage?
eh. prob the short films. More ideas, the more chance a big fish likes the idea and wants to call you. but don't waste your time on your "big idea" at this point. Just go work on a set and hustle your way up to the top. With all the fuckups out there, climbing up the AD ranks can happen pretty damn fast. 2 or 3 movies where you are known as a "reliable, nice guy" and you'll be on your fuckin way.
>How early on do I need an agent? Is it a matter of wait until they approach you, or should you activity seek one?
You dont need an agent. They don't do much. Even big actors don't use them much. My brother got a call from Scorcese, he said hey man can you shoot a little scene for me? My bro said sure, and bam he went and shot. No agent needed there. Agents are mostly a waste of space IMO.
>>
>>1557701
>If you're releasing a film -- of any length -- is it worth hiring a publicist or a P.R. firm or just do it yourself and spend the money on advertising.
Do it yourself. You cant afford these people.
>How do you go about marketing yourself as a particular type of filmmaker, for myself I'd love to work for High Fashion doing their promotional videos/editorials etc.? (but really it could be any niche,but let's use that as an example)
pick up the phone. So many "artists" have trouble with the balls of sales. Jesus, it's not like your scaling Everest. Just pick up the phone and start dialing. But don't pick up that phone unless you have something to show. Maybe a few shorts, couple show ideas, a script, etc.. Call some places, "Hi I'm _________ and I'm a filmmaker, I'd love to work with your group, can I send you a demo of my stuff?"
If you have the balls to do this 5 times a week, you WILL go places in film. 90% of people in film do not have these balls. The 10% that do become famous directors and writers. Success in film is 90% sales, 10% talent. Lots of guys can shoot well, direct well. Not many have the guts to sell and lead.
>>
>>1557701
>Is hoping for a sales agent or to get an idea picked up by a producer even worth it anymore? or have SVOD and on Demand video become the future?

see above. As for on Demand video, ehhhh I really don't know. For TV shows, yes I think it is. For movies I think think the model of theater, then on demand will remain for some time.

>What metrics do studios, producers etc. etc. look at on say... social media reach of a film before they approach?
They don't. It's art. You need a truly great, polished product, that really jumps out in a cool way. Which is about 1% of indie stuff. 99% is shit. We both know it. If you send a guy a clip and in the first 5 seconds the audio or lighting is off, it's going right in the trash.

Like I said above, everyone gets out of film school very idealistic. You need to see some of the basics from the ground up for a few years. Save some money, then go hard on your personal project.

My bro was in about 8 years before he finally went solo, started his own company, own gear own projects. He had edited, shot, done lighting, directed, written.

Not trying to break your balls, just think a man should work some positions in the industry for a few years before declaring themself a filmmaker.
>>
>>1557717
>>1557731
>>1557742
>pick up the phone.
>Just pick up the phone and start dialing. But don't pick up that phone unless you have something to show
>If you have the balls to do this 5 times a week, you WILL go places in film.
> 90% of people in film do not have these balls

You may have just changed my whole perspective on everything.

My problem is that I'm in Australia - industry is totally dependent on government subsidies. And even if you do get to the top of the apex, you're still not that far off the ground.
So I'm thinking my best bet is to be a bar tender or do freelance videos on the side -- whatever it takes to save money, save my cash, apply for working visa and fly overseas.

>We both know it. If you send a guy a clip and in the first 5 seconds the audio or lighting is off, it's going right in the trash
Very true. I don't think I have that problem but wouldn't hurt to step up my game.
>>
File: I2LSRst.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
I2LSRst.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
>>1557717
>>1557731
>>1557742
Also just wanna say THANK YOU.
Some real solid advice there.
>>
>>1557278

Also, watched a bit of your first video.

Great framing, good direction, and you clearly used a good camera and lens. Did you color correct? I would have made the colors a bit brighter, but people complain that I make colors pop too much so IDK if I can be trusted here.

I guess it was outside and it was just a wedding, but for a more polished product I would have set some lights up to light up the actors faces. Some lighting from the front. Gotta be able to really pick up the money maker on camera. Generally for lighting people in non action scenes I usually give them a big flood on the front then a little simple scorpion light from behind, something small to enhance some details.

Nice use of lens flare.
>>
>>1557766

No problem. There's plenty of money to be made in film. Way past $50k a year.

Good luck. Idiots with way worse sites than this and worse work than this, make plenty shooting weddings.

I'll check the thread tomorrow if you have any more questions.
>>
>>1557763

> In aussieland

Ohhhh wow.

Yeah I imagine the rules are the same out there, but the money and projects are all here in the USA. The money here is bananas. I think my state alone (Georgia) spent about 3 billion last year on film and TV production.

I met a few English people on sets who had left England for America to work in Film/TV but never anyone from straya.

It would be a bold fucking move to just pick up and come here.

But if it's your dream, you may want to consider it? Perhaps see if you can line something up working on a TV show or movie here?

Like I said before, the phone does work.
>>
>>1557788
>Yeah I imagine the rules are the same out there, but the money and projects are all here in the USA.
In all my reading I think so yes. Maybe it's a little easier as an outsider in the US because the scale is larger, but that also means more competition, more noise to yell louder than.

>I met a few English people on sets who had left England for America to work in Film/TV but never anyone from straya.
Interesting. I'm doing pure speculation - but it's very easy to get work in England or maybe even Canada as a Aussie because of the "Commonwealth" and the passport agreements between those countries.

>Perhaps see if you can line something up working on a TV show or movie here?
Obviously I'd only board the plane if I had a paying gig lined up. But all your advice still holds up in the Australian industry too

>Like I said before, the phone does work.
Exactly. I'm gonna have to take that to heart.

Do you know anything about Documentary -- that's where my real interest is. I'm not one of these kids who wants to write a script and get it shot, I'd be much more content to be Louis Theroux or Errol Morris: meeting interesting people.
Seems like a WAY lower barrier to entry.
And if all else fails, I can do a Morgan Spurlock and shoot a documentary for a brand the way he did for One Direction.
>>
>>1557814

Last post then I'm going to bed.

As a film maker you take your shot. And if it was done right and the subject was interesting, there is a good chance you will make money.

There is no more low risk, and lucrative option than a documentary. They are fuck easy to shoot, and if it was done well and the subject was interesting, someone will buy it. The guy that did Gasland, the Jiro dreams of Sushi guy, they all made loads of money.

In fact if anything I would say yes, a documentary is your best bet. There are so so so many things you can shoot that people would watch too.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.