[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, i'm a 30 with a job that does not pay a lot but is comfy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: unspecified.jpg (116KB, 899x1200px) Image search: [Google]
unspecified.jpg
116KB, 899x1200px
So, i'm a 30 with a job that does not pay a lot but is comfy as fuck and i have around 2 months of paid vacation each year.

The best part of it is that recently we went though a reorganization and i found myself having to work only 20 hours a week and earning only a bit less (Around 26k)

Since i will have a lot of free time in my hands i realized i could use it to start my own biz (either a bar & grill of a coffe shop).

However my gf also told me i'd be a chance for me to go to uni, in fact she offered to pay for it herself but only if it was STEM related.

Should i go for it?
>>
>>1556901
How the fuck does your girlfriend have enough money to pay for an entire college education? Are you a sugar baby in this relationship?
>>
>>1556912
His post is made up obviously.

The truth is is had a part time job and his parents want him to go to Uni because a part time job is not enough but he wants to start a business. So he comes here seeking validation in his decision over going to school.

Autists always exaggerate.
>>
File: 1476125278660.jpg (113KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476125278660.jpg
113KB, 800x800px
>>1556901
Your girlfriend is going to pay for your education in full?
Are you sure she's not your mom?
>>
>>1556912
>>1556919
>>1556926

I live in Argentina, education here is either free or relatively cheap.

My gf is a doctor, I don't think she cares much about her making more money than me, but she always talks about how important getting a degree is.

>Are you sure she's not your mom?

My mom is a stuck up bitch that told my father to kick me out when i was 18 because i did not want to go to uni, i only see her on Christmas.

I could show you my wage receipt if you like.
>>
>>1556937
>has a gf
>posts some ugly kike instead of gf

Yeah sure m8
>>
>>1556941

I do wonder how many guys actually posted pics of their actual GFs in here...

Anyway I'm fine with you thinking whatever you wish to think.
>>
>>1556901
restaurants are terrible business ideas.

anyone can do them and tons of people do.
the profit margin is extraordinarily low. They don't make money.

I wouldn't bother. Go to school. Maybe you'll learn to stop having bad ideas.
>>
>>1556985
Do you even know anyone in restaurant business? Families I know that actually know how to run them are well off.
>>
>>1557004
>I know families that run a restaurant so anybody must be able to run one easily

Your baby boomer is showing
>>
>>1557008
this.
there was a local restaurant where i live about 8 years ago that was successful and well established - it had social proof
when they sold it, it's passed from owner to owner every year
>>
>>1557008
I spent 16 years of my career managing restaurants. 14 different locations for 6 different companies in all areas of service from cafeteria to fast food to fine dining.

they don't make money from single locations.
feel free to try though.
>>
>>1557004
>Families I know that actually know how to run them are well off.
and that's the key right there.

you have to work in your store 60 hours a week for the rest of your life to make a living wage.

if you consider that "rich" then go for it.
>>
>>1557025
>>1557033

I understand your point, however i fail to see why would you need to work 60 hours per week.

My uncle (Who owns 4 coffeshops and a restaurant) always used to tell me that the difference you can make between being there 24/7 and just dropping by a few times a day to see how's everything going is no worth it. You are better off using your time doing something else.
>>
>>1557065
it's a bit more complex than that in either case.

in reality what the owner should be doing is owning the building and paying it off. Either way they can live comfortably by borrowing against the building and/or the store brand.

what they have is great collateral for loans even if their income isn't much. and that collateral grows every day.

But if you know a family that's owned a restaurant for generations, the only reason they make money is likely because the building is paid for. Otherwise they're probably borrowing against it to survive.

either way there's much easier and safer ways to make money off of equity in real estate or business.
>>
>>1557065
sorry, my comment is confusing to read.

the owner either:
1. owns the building and is essentially collecting rent from his restaurant and pretending that's his salary.
or
2. not making money, rather borrowing his salary from the bank and making the restaurant pay it back.

both are viable business models for a restaurant, but neither one actually expects the restaurant to make a profit.
>>
>>1557088

There is yet another alternative and that is trying my luck at another kind of biz like a computer shop or something tech related, but i fail to see how that'd be different from option two.
>>
>>1557133
if selling retail to the public is the only business you can imagine you're never going to see better alternatives.

retail has the lowest margins, whether you're selling coq au vin or coffee or computers.

selling to the public has even lower margins than b2b retail, since there's so much more competition.

your options are limited by what you know. Apparently the only businesses you've come in contact with are restaurants and computer stores.
>>
>>1557143

Despite risking repeating myself let's try and start this again.

Let's say that i forget about the guys around me that own these kind of shops and make a decent enough living. And let's also forget that the only guys i know that managed to get a decent wage in stem got their degree in their early 20s.

I'm 30 years old i only have to work 4 hours to make a living wage in a really comfy job.

I could get a degree and try my luck there, however that would mean that i'd have to quit my job and work 50 hs to earn only a bit more money for a few years.

And the alternative is trying to run a successful biz, but so far it's seem that i can only come up with retarded ideas.

I do want to do something else with my life, and stop losing more time, specially since my girl is a fucking doctor and I'm a nobody. What should i do?
>>
>>1557170
do what you want to do.
if you love the idea of being a restaurant owner then fucking do it.

life's too short to spend chasing other people's dreams.
>>
>>1557170
>specially since my girl is a fucking doctor and I'm a nobody.
and if you're just doing something for her sake then take her suggestion. It's not that difficult.

but if she needs you to change in order to be good enough you're not going to last anyways.
>>
>>1557190

I don't really love that much the idea of a restaurant i just thought i'd be good biz. I can always do it after i retire if i still want to.

>>1557194

She does not need me to do anything, however, she keeps telling me that if we have kids, it'd be nice if both their parents had degrees, which i kinda agree.

However it's be more important if i could actually make enough cash to provide for her and the kids at least until they are old enough for her to start working full time again.

And I'm afraid that I'd be wasting a lot of time by getting a degree at my age.
>>
>>1556937
Cuantas copas tenés?

Entra a la Nacional de Rosario, me dijeron que es muy buena esa
>>
>>1557203
>i just thought i'd be good biz
a construction company is a good biz. Or a paving company. or a property management company. Pretty much anything that isn't selling retail to the public from a brick and mortar store.

>at my age.
you're not that old.
if you're going to do it just do it fast. Work your ass off and get it done.
>>
>>1556901
What's her name
>>
Ok, went off to train for a bit.

>>1557211

Ninguna y Rosario me queda algo lejos y lamentablemente son muy jodidas y asperos los ingresos.

>>1557321

>a construction company is a good biz

There are so many risks involved and you need so much capital to begin with that it always scared me a bit, but you are right about it being good biz.

Paving company no so much since all that stuff in here is handled by a sort of paving mafia so no chances for the small biz.

And about property management i'm not sure how do you make money there, since i don't know anyone that does that for a living.

>>1557363

Mizuyuno i think, here's her twitter.

https://twitter.com/mizuyuno_?lang=en
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.