[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Autonomous cars are going to be a bigger meme than consumer 3D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1476044303990.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476044303990.png
8KB, 400x400px
Autonomous cars are going to be a bigger meme than consumer 3D printers. Tesla's autopilot has already caused some serious accidents, and now other manufacturers are releasing their "self driving" technology. Soon the government will realize these are more dangerous than safe on our roads with other driver controlled vehicles, and will be dropped.

How do I make money on this bubble? It will never make it unless roads were built for self driving cars only, and that won't happen in our lifetimes because we can barely afford to maintain current roads.
>just make separate lanes
That hasn't worked yet with carpool and trucker lanes.
>>
>It will never make it unless roads were built for self driving cars only
Why do you think this is?
>>
>>1554881
Self driving cars cant predict people driving like dumb asses.
>>
>>1554904
They can to an extent, and they will only get better.

If a car comes flying out of it's lane into yours, if anything a computer has a better chance at avoiding it than a person given it can see more at once, takes much less time to react and will react more predictably, lessening potential further incidents.
>>
>>1554802

>Autonomous cars are going to be a bigger meme than consumer 3D printers

This is almost as bad a prediction as Gary Dell'abate thinking the iPad would never catch on because people already have laptops.
>>
>>1554904
Nearly 100 people died on the road in the US yesterday and not one of them was in a self driving car and I'd bet they weren't all the driver at fault.
So it seems people also have trouble predicting when other people drive like idiots.

When will the human-driven car meme die? How do I make money off that bubble
>>
stupid frogposter
>>
>>1554802
>>1554904
>unironically thinking that self driving cars won't complete decimate the transportation job sector and that they aren't safe because "they can't predict what bad drivers will do"
>they can't predict what bad drivers will do
>but humans... can?

Computers can predict better than humans, computers can react faster than humans, and computers can make better decisions than humans.

Not only are you wrong, you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>1554983
>Computers can predict better than humans
GIGO
>computers can react faster than humans
There is a longer time delay between sensor input and processing. Unless computers go bio they won't make it.
>computers can make better decisions than humans
Humans are better at reading context. Like if I see someone driving slow with a GPS in their mirror they are probably not from the area and will make sudden and erratic turns. Computers will just see moving objects.
>>
>>1555787
>if I see someone driving slow with a GPS in their mirror

What about the other 40% with a phone in their hand that dont see the car at all
>>
>>1555787
>There is a longer time delay between sensor input and processing
... no, not even close. Computer reaction times, including "delay between sensor input and processing", can be on the order of milliseconds. The MINIMUM reaction time for a human being is hundreds of milliseconds; longer if a situation is very unexpected.

Do you have a source for that? Or any of this? Explain to me how computers are slower than humans.

Here's a good example of the autopilot doing something a human could not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-5fKzmy38

If a human had been driving, there would have been a collision, end of story.
>>
>>1554911
Screencap this then and see who gets BTFO
>>
>>1554904
you can't either every day i find a random cuck surprise me.
autonomous vehicles have better "reflexes" tho.
they can handle the car much better when shit hits the fan than most drivers out there.
i agree tho the technology including sensors and processing is just not there yet. but even now they show better statistics then human driver which is surprising.
>>
>>1554802
OP there's tons of research currently being done for self driving cars to communicate with one another via network.

It is the future of automobiles and transportation.

You also don't have a clue how transportation works.

t. Transportation Engineer
>>
File: fuck you op.png (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you op.png
12KB, 400x400px
>>1554802
>>
people in this thread REALLY think that they can make decisions FASTER then a COMPUTER!!

>my SIDES!
>>
>>1556465

>post an opinon
>t. professional opinion poster
>>
>>1556465
WHO DO YOU WORK FOR
>>
>>1556958
Look Mom I Did It Again LLC
>>
>>1556970
>being upset about being wrong
You know you're gonna think back on this and be like "man I was a pretty big dumb dumb, huh?"
>>
>>1557119
Screenshot this and see who's laughing 5 years from now when your meme hasn't put a dent in market share
>>
>>1557131
oh I guess I should add something about how we're discussing autonomous cars
>>
>>1555938
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-5fKzmy38
This car is idiotic. It should have saw the car in front of it hit the brakes and started to slow down before it got to the point of almost crashing.
>>
So so I have worked for a company that makes cameras that are constantly using AI to detect objects. This is reffered to as an unconstrained environment. In good conditions, AI vision works well. But when conditions are suboptimal, this ends in tears. I think that the reliance on cameras and independent systems will only be plausible in rural and fairly low traffic areas.
In high traffic areas we are going to need some sort of system that basically tracks gps of every car and communicates its velocity, road conditions and plan of action to all other cars on the network. A passive control in a sense. Also this has to be coupled with incredible diagnostic networks.
I'll give it 20 years. The current vision tech is a bubble
>>
I don't get autopilot cars.

Isn't that what public transit is for?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.