[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /biz/, so say I'm interested in finance to a level

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 445645435.jpg (93KB, 599x723px) Image search: [Google]
445645435.jpg
93KB, 599x723px
Okay /biz/, so say I'm interested in finance to a level of complete autism. I love valuing companies and excel is my only friend; however, my GPA and prospects on getting into an IB target school are both kill. I was plagued by a bad relationship and mental health problems (ADD, depression, OCD, etc) that caused me to under-perform.

Is there any way I can become an accredited investor and convince people to give me money to invest? I will be receiving an inheritance of around $150,000 soon, but receiving a slightly above average return on this amount probably wouldn't sway investors to trust in me.

Investing family money is out of the question. I know one of you are going to tell me to go back to college and become an accountant, but I'd rather kill myself.

I'm currently living within my means while working as a security guard at a sports complex in a predominantly white neighborhood. Most of my hours consist of doing nothing, so I just sit and read in the security truck. It's sort of like living the NEET's dream, except I read instead of playing vidyas.
>>
>>1553818
Go get a degree and start working in that field. If you really want to break into this field as a career you're probably not going to do it without a college degree.
>>
>>1553839
Does it matter about the college that I get a degree from? Like I said, my chances of getting into a target school are close to nil.
>>
>>1553842
It does matter somewhat. Maybe worry about getting into a decent non target school and then going to grad school at a target.
>>
>>1553818
How old are you friend? If you are younger than 30 I'd say join the military

>b-buh Military is fashis

No, it's a job just like every other job, infinitely shittier sometimes, but with much better returns than your average job/college education.

Consider this: I was in the Army for 11 years, 7 on active duty, 4 with the guard. As a result I was able to go to school for free and get payed a extremely reasonable amount of living expenses as part of the GI bill. I purchased my first house this year for zero down at an extremely attractive apr due to the VA home loan. And desu the most invaluable aspect of my time in, through networking and simply by virtue of being a veteran I just landed at job with a top finance firm with literally no prior finance education, and an associates degree in Liberal Arts... I just was int he Army with a dude who works there and he put in a good word for me, and I nailed the interview.

So in conclusion; Military yes, 50,000+ in school debt no. When you weight the pros and cons of military service, if you are in your 20's theres absolutely no reason you cant do 3-4 years in whatever MOS you like. You can go to school for free and get paid to do it, you meet awesome people who will bend over backwards for you later in life, and make invaluable connections, and having VETERAN on your application will get you in the door with 80% of companies, the rest is up to you.
>>
>>1553868
oh, I should also mention that while the pay is shit especially as a new private, you wont have to pay rent (live in barracks) and you wont have to pay for meals (chow hall, tastes like shit but nutritionally balanced) so aside from whatever bills you create for yourself you are free to bank your salary which after 4 years will look like 80-90k assuming you don't get promoted at all.
>>
>>1553868
I've thought about it. I'm certainly not the type to think the military is fascist either, as my father was a major. I'm 23 at the moment, so you're telling me it's not too late?
>>
>>1553887
It's definitely not too late. The age cut off for most branches is 34 I think. I would seriously consider it buddy. LIke I mentioned above, the ROI of putting myself through 11 years and 2 deployments is that I'm set up for the rest of my life with the earning potential to make 1mm by the time in 35. And lets be honest, money isn't everything, but this is /biz/.. Also, dont get duped into doing some lame desk job if thats not what you want to do, everyone will say "you'll have a skill for when you get out" yeah, fucking manual labor skills and fuck that, im not trying to be a mechanic in the Army then get out and be a mechanic the rest of my life (no offense to any mechanics, just not for me) I was an Infantry grunt and loved every minute of it, the thought is well I guess I'll go be a cop or something after doing that job, but in reality, companies, especially finance where they hire type-a people are looking for the type of people that do well in combat mos's
>>
>>1553917
I've read that the GI Bill only pays for so much of your education. Where's the truth in this matter?
>>
>>1553988
it pays for 36 months of education time. in other words, 4 years, or 8 semesters. at the beginning of each semester the VA pays out to the school for that semesters tuition, which is based on the higest in-state tuition. So if the highest tuition for a state school was say, 10,000 a semester, but the ivy league school you are going to charges 20,000, the VA will pay half. HOWEVER, there are programs that exist ie; yellow ribbon, which cover almost all of the cost of a private or ivy league school.

So, VA pays the school at the beginning of every semester, then you get a check for $1,000 to cover the cost of books/ supplies (or you can do like I did and check the text books out of the library and make photo copies of what I needed, and bank that 1,000) and usually on the 1st of every month you will receive you cost of living allowance which is based on the zip code in which your school is. it's the e-5 rate with dependents, if you care to look it up for where you want to potentially go to school to see how much you would be getting paid every month just to get an education.

Also, there's lots and lots of VA programs that many people dont know about which will help you get a graduate degree if thats what you want. Not to mention state tuition assistance.

Long story short, even if you end up with some debt it's a fraction of the normal load.
>>
>>1554021
to clarify, you only get paid while school is in session, and while you are attending classes.
>>
>>1553868
Definitely don't listen to this guy
>>
>>1554114
Why?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.