[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some things to prevent getting legally buttfucked by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 1470383643883.jpg (610KB, 1400x786px) Image search: [Google]
1470383643883.jpg
610KB, 1400x786px
What are some things to prevent getting legally buttfucked by a firm when I start investing?

Also absolute noob here (obviously), how do you invest with Vanguard? It feels like just signing up, putting your money and voila you make money seems too good to be true.

thx /biz/
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-09+at+06.04.26).png (24KB, 643x452px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-09+at+06.04.26).png
24KB, 643x452px
UR GUNNA B RICH

They aren't always going to go up.
>>
File: brock.jpg (39KB, 700x602px) Image search: [Google]
brock.jpg
39KB, 700x602px
Side note:
It also seems like if you invest online you'd get taxed the fuck out so how did you get started investing with them (since I always hear they're not a meme)?
>>
You need to be more specific about what you're doing to receive advice about legal CYA. If you're worried about legally

Also, you don't "voila" make money. You're risking that money when you invest. Most people doing their own trading lose big.

Depending on what you're trying to do I wouldn't use a Vanguard account, I'd get a low-commission account at something like optionshouse or TradeKing. If you trade with any frequency (and if you are a noob, you shouldn't) commissions will ruin your shit.
>>
>>1553427
Yeah yeah i know but that's why I want to hold on to them for the long-term.
>>
>>1553435
We're at the end of a ridiculous 30 year long bull run.

Don't take that as an indication of how things will continue. The economy is in a really shitty state, and we could very well see decades of downward trends.
>>
>>1553433
Do correct me if I'm wrong but don't you just deposit your money and it stays in the form of assets? I mean once you invest your money you're going to "make" or "lose" theoretical money, but in the mean time you'll still earn a stable income from your regular job so it's not that life-changing if you make or lose said money in the market
>>
>>1553436
What do?
>>
>>1553440
That's not theoretical money, that's real money you worked hard for and are now putting to work for you. There's real opportunity in that compared to spending it or putting it to work in different ways.

It's true (assuming you're just doing basic trades) that you can't lose more than you put in, but approaching is as though it's "spent" money that no longer matters is a terrible mindset to approach this with. That's how people get old and can't retire. Don't do that.
>>
>>1553445
It should say "there's a real opportunity cost in that compared to spending it or putting it to work in different ways".
>>
>>1553436
>We're at the end of a ridiculous 30 year long bull run.
This is a lie. This guy spams every reaosnable thread with this bullshit, trying to get people to buy scammy cryptocoins.

inb4 he posts the chart of the Nikkei.

OP, go to boggleheads.org and you'll get advice from intelligent adults that actually want you to succeed.
>>
>>1553445
I agree in that investing your money is much better than just spending it but I just really don't know how to go about it since it all looks too good to be true - like you just put all your money in and if the stock performs well over the laung haul, you can rest assured you'll be rich when you're old or something but I'm just so confused also as to how that money becomes money in your bank account. What is the catch in all this? Like do you just wait and get compounding interest over the years and it's that simple?
>>
>>1553460
Ok I'll do that
>>
File: 1425874352120.jpg (944KB, 1345x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1425874352120.jpg
944KB, 1345x1450px
>>1553462
>you buy a thing
>that thing goes up in value
>you then sell that thing
>you are now wealthier
learn all of pics related and any other stuff that interests you
as an aside, if you have at your fingertips the greatest receptacle of information in the entire recorded history of mankind and you are struggling to understand, you are a reprobate and it's high time to get yourself started on the path to greatness. good luck anon
>>
File: cotd-bull-markets.jpg (143KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
cotd-bull-markets.jpg
143KB, 1200x900px
>>1553462
>What is the catch in all this?
The "catch" is that the markets don't move in straight line. Although they average about a 12% annual return over the last 90 years, some years are good, some are flat, and some are bad. But since no one can reliably predict these movements in advance, you need to ride out the ups and downs, trusting that the ups are larger than the downs.

So far, for nearly a hundred years, the ups have been much better than the downs.

(Look at pic related. Would you rather have your money riding on the blue or the red?)

But, to make it work, you need to give it enough time for the good years to work their magic. That's why you're 10 steps ahead of most new investors -- you've got a long-term focus. Most people are too impatient and too impulsive. They flee when there's a bit of market turbulence, locking in losses and missing the gains.

But people who have held for the long-term have made a lot of money.
>>
>>1553473
So that's all there is to it?
Do I just buy and hold as well as simultaneously buy when people are scared and save when people are greedy and just wait the years?
>>
>>1553462
The catch is that it may not go up over the long haul.

There's nothing magical about stocks. As anon said, it's like buying anything else. When you sell it you get that value back. Most things you buy depreciate (like cars), so you get less back than when you started. This could also happen to your stocks.
>>
>>1553470
thank you based anon

it will also take me a few years to finish all those books but i'm sure it's worth it.
>>
>>1553477
Pretty much, with the added caveat that it's usually not easy to tell when to buy and when to sell. Patterns look obvious in hindsight, but you can't see the peaks and valleys ahead of you.

That said, sometimes something awesome happens like the 2008 recession and you buy the shit out of stocks. Maybe not at rock bottom unless you're lucky, but much lower than you're going to get them for normally.
>>
>>1553477
>Do I just buy and hold
For now, yup. That's why you should only be investing money that you won't need for a while. The idea is to let the markets do their magic, and then down the road, you'll multiplied your savings.

As for when to add money, there's two schools of thought. One says that you should invest extra money whenever you have extra money, regardless of the timing. The other says that you should try to invest a set amount every month (or every other week, of however often you get paid).

However, people who try to guess the perfect time to put money in the market tend to guess wrong. The markets have a funny way of fooling people. Idiots like >>1553436 have been predicting the "big crash" since 2010. Meanwhile, the markets have gone up almost 140% since then. That's probably why he's bitter -- he missed out on a lot of money.
>>
>>1553481
IMO Start with Hazlitt's economics in one lesson. It's freely available online as a PDF, and while not about investing, base understanding is incredibly useful in all areas of life.
>>
>>1553484
Wowee, you sure made a lot of assumptions about me.

I've only become a multi-millionaire in the past 12 months (was dirt poor before that), and I'm expecting the crash after the presidential election is finished (and I've expected it to happen late 2016/2017 since about 2009).

I'm not interested in buying in at an obvious peak.
>>
File: 1427680815160.png (724B, 246x184px) Image search: [Google]
1427680815160.png
724B, 246x184px
>>1554697
>I've only become a multi-millionaire in the past 12 months
>>
>>1554710
It's actually a good night thanks. I've struggled socially my whole life and always thought I'd be a NEET.

But I made mobile apps as a hobby, and one went viral. Revenue over past 16 months has been over $4m.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.