[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>career advice so I'm currently wagecucking for a large

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: tf.png (49KB, 451x485px) Image search: [Google]
tf.png
49KB, 451x485px
>career advice

so I'm currently wagecucking for a large brokerage firm I dont want to name.

It's effectively sales, giving advice on mutual funds, and trying to get existing clients to bring all their assets over (most of the time this just means IRA rollovers).. howeer it's really just a shitty call center. I make about 55k and there's decent growth there. The job is going to switch to more of an advisory role next year due to DOL changes.

Where would you guys try to go from here? I don't want to sit in a call center anymore. I'd really like to get some type of analyst work. The only qualifications I really hhave right now is my experience with my job for about 1.5 yrs, a shitty bachelors degree is business management, as well as the series 7 and 66 licenses. what type of skills or qualifications do you guys htink I should work on to get out of this rut?
>>
im trying to even get to your stage, but id do the job a little longer even if it is painful. i heard being a broker gives you a lot of valuable experience. especially since its becoming more of advisory kind like you said just stick with it a little longer. whats next however ive got no fucking clue. ask collegues what their plans are, because nobody will be a broker forever. maybe you will get inspired
>>
If you can tough it out and excel at your job for a few more years you can do a career reset with a MBA (only good if you can get into a top tier school though)
>>
>>1552626
What's an MBA good for?
What kind of job does it actually get you?
>>
>>1552630
Go look at the employment reports for a good MBA program (use US News rankings for an idea of what a good school is). Basically post-MBA you get slotted into mid-level managerial jobs at big corporations or you can go into things like investment banking or management consulting.

I'm currently a student and have an offer in hand from Amazon for product management and interviews with Google and a few other companies coming up. A good program gets you a ridiculous set of opportunities.
>>
>>1552634
>>1552626
OP here

went to a mediocre school and got pretty bad grades

I do see myself getting a masters current employer is willing to pay for it) but I doubt I'd be able to get in anywhere decent. also, id have to study part time while working full time. taking time off is not an option

what subject should i focus on for my masters?
>>
>>1552744
Admissions at these schools will generally let one factor slide - for example, if you have a shitty GPA you can make it up with a high GMAT. You'd be surprised at where you can get into if you do the right preparation (good recommendations, great GMAT, solid work experience, interesting extracurriculars, etc)

As for the subject in an MBA, it doesn't really matter. The better the school, the less specialization actually matters - the school's brand name will carry you and you can study whatever facets of business you're interested in. If you're going to a program that's an MBA in some specialization, you've already fucked up.

The general guidelines for going part-time vs full-time for an MBA are:

Go full-time if you want to make a career change and/or want the biggest ROI.

Go part-time if you want to stay in your industry and you need an MBA to move up and if the ROI is there. But you lose out on the flexibility of changing careers easily, and it's likely that your salary increases will not be as significant. The perceived 'prestige' of a part-time program is much worse than a full-time one, even at the same school.

For example, I gave up 2 years of wages @ ~$100K a year (with little hope of significant wage increases from there) and took on $200K in loans to go full-time to a school ranked in the top 5. But I'm coming out with one offer that will be ~$200K in total comp per year and I'll possibly get others around the same range. My salary should also only grow from here on out as I move up the corporate ladder.
>>
>>1552826
I'll add an caveat to my statement - some of the lower ranked schools (but still top 25~30) do have MBAs in specializations that may be worthwhile, but you have to be very careful.

Any good school will publish employment figures for their graduates with data on their salaries and bonuses. Based on that data you can figure out if the school is a reasonable choice for you.
>>
>>1552826
>>1552854
Interesting. Right now I'm working on heavy student loans from undergrad as it is. It's nothing I cant afford, but putting them in deferment to take more debt while cutting my income is terrifying. Seems like staying put or going for internal promotions is the best short term approach, but maybe if I get some salary growth, build a savings cushion, and at least slash some of my undergrad debt I could see a prestigious full time degree for a couple years.

I did an easy business program in college and academics were on the bottom of my list of priorities during that time. I'd love the chance to study a challenging, interesting field and actually apply myself, then reap those rewards when applying for jobs. I'm not even sure how I landed my current position since at the timee I got it my only real credential was part time work experience and the degree from my shitty program.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.