[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly does someone 'secure rights?' 'securing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: PMD Captions - What Is It.jpg (382KB, 1280x1794px) Image search: [Google]
PMD Captions - What Is It.jpg
382KB, 1280x1794px
How exactly does someone 'secure rights?'

'securing rights' is a phrase I keep coming across in articles. I understand, more or less, how you acquire, say, the film rights to a book, for instance.

But I have heard two other stories which left me confused -

1) an article I read years ago in a movie fan magazine, about a guy , presumably an entertainment lawyer? IP expert? who secures rights to a film based only on a short synopsis, which you can submit on a postcard.
This article was maybe 20 years ago, don't know if still relevant, and I was not very entrepreneurial back then, so didn't note any info, it just stuck in my mind since then. I can remember only vague details.

2) I read once that within 10 minutes or so of the 9/11 World Trade Centre attack, somebody had already 'secured the rights' to movies based directly on the event (there have been several made) not sure if they meant a specific movie, or all future rights.

These are the ones that confuse me - how do you secure rights to factual IRL events, if not based on, say, an individual experience?

Who do you call? What do you file? And with whom?
>>
>>1552175
>how do you secure rights to factual IRL events
You don't. It can't be done.
>>
make an agreement with the source owner. if you can write scripts and pitch them to producers who want to make them into movies you've 'secured rights' to get paid whatever deal you made with the producer because producers have standard contracts they use. Otherwise, you need a lawyer or to become a laywer who knows how to draw up contracts.
>'secure rights' = make a deal to use and/or get paid for it
>>
for number 2 i think it was a trademark registration for the name Twin Towers attack or 9/11 or something like that. i have heard that story too, that in the afternoon of 9/11 (((someone))) who worked in NY attempted to trademark the name.

for number 1, i have also read this story and as far i know it was true, although your details aren't quite right.

the man was an agent or film producer and he would accept pitches for movies from people by message, such as you say postcard or letter or answerphone message. the pitch was just an elevator pitch, no more than a few sentences.

for example the movie Phone Booth the pitch was "a man answers a ringing phone in a phone booth and doesn't leave for the whole movie". the producer was paying for the ideas that he could then turn into scripts and sell to studios.

instead of buying a story or a screenplay he was buying the idea from people. that isn't such a difficult situation to understand.

he was the man who could and was looking for the 'ideas guy'.
>>
>>1552177
That’s what I thought, it should be public domain.
Hence I mentioned that article.

>>1552179
I know enough about that stuff. I'm talking about 2 certain cases I haven't seen before or since.

>>1552192
Yes!
Thanks for confirming my ramblings.

#1 - yes, I understood his process, but after comparing your explanation with mine, I explained it very badly, sorry. This sounds like the same guy. That's what I meant. He would pitch and sell movie executives the idea, allowing them to secure the rights, he would take a percentage/finders fee, split the rest with the idea guy who sent it to him.
I wanted to know if anyone knew who he was, or who to submit my ideas to? What field is that? I don’t know if he had an actual job title.

#2 - hmm, I am sure I have read that you cannot copyright or trademark a book or movie title, unless it's very specific, like Harry Potter...etc or a method, yes, but not, say, 'Twin Towers'. The article said they were successfully secured.

I was watching the movie 'The Corporation' the other day.
There is a scene where they interview some trader guy and he was saying when the Iraq War kicked off, and Saddam was burning off oil wells, traders were going crazy buying oil, because the price was gonna go up, and he says they were shouting something like '"this is great!" Well, I mean, it's awful, but "keep burning more oil fields! We're gonna get rich!"'

I am trying to be more cold and calculating.
The news is just filler for the masses. But a few take action and actually try and leverage any information.

Disaster Capitalism.

When there's a hot story like immigration or terrorist attacks, /biz/reali traders often catch me slippin', and remind me there's money to be made somewhere, but acting fast usually makes the difference.

Any disaster happens anywhere, within hours there are charity campaigns or whole new charities up and running. There are people with systems ready to go live within an hour of breaking news
>>
>>1552382
Trademarks have looser requirements than copyrights because they apply more narrowly.
For example, Marvel and DC co-own a trademark on the word "superhero," which means other companies can't use that word in comics. It doesn't mean they own the word itself.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.