[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are meetings in your place of work? Mine are fucking intolerable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: business-meeting.jpg (618KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
business-meeting.jpg
618KB, 1000x667px
How are meetings in your place of work?

Mine are fucking intolerable and I don't know how to fix it.

>today
>meeting about using an industry research subscription/site
>spend an hour having a rep go through every page and give a speech on each one
>literally shit any sane person could figure out on their own in 5 minutes
>rep hangs up
>boss goes on a ~7 minute spiel about the login
>literally all he had to say was "I'll send you the log-in information later today"
>instead talks wastes the next 6 minutes and 50 seconds saying how he has to train a different department about the site, which has no impact on us
>weekly department meeting where we go through all our assignments
>literally can just say, it's done or it's in progress, or it's pending info
>people go on huge rants and backstories
>we literally have over 200 assignments
>meeting that took 30 minutes when I joined 5 years ago when the department was a third of its size now takes 2+ hours

Shakespeare said brevity was the soul of wit. How do I communicate this to co-workers without sounding like a dick?
>>
Just be assertive and voice your opinion. If you're a respected member of the company people will listen and take to heart what you say. Some collateral damage may have to be accepted, but I'm sure others will appreciate your input.
>>
Fixing this sort of thing is nearly impossible without hurting someone's feefees. It's a bad situation and I don't really have any advice, unless you suspect the person with the power to change the meeting structure is already sympathetic to you and just needs a push to fix it.

I have a 2hr meeting like this every other Tuesday and it is pure agony.
>>
>>1546216
Don't tell them, show them. If you're so confident brevity is better, present your end of the conversation confidently and accurately. When they are gushing, tell them hoe it could benefit everyone involved to be more concise.

Just don't assert yourself off a cliff.

My meetings are honestly realistic and to the point. We go over pertinent numbers, talk briefly about the goal of the company, have lunch and we're out. The only part of a meeting our management harps on about is flaws in our documentation (work orders, invoices to clients that are literally legal trend reports and/or statements, so they have to be thorough. No room for interpretation), but that's reasonable considering how important it is in my industry to be correct in action in accordance with enforceable laws. On paper, at least.
>>
>>1546406
Good response anon, your words are very powerful.
I wish you all the best.
>>
I'm the only person in my company that works from home. Meetings are video chat sessions that are usually people asking me about stuff or me bullshitting for 5-10 minutes. If it's anything not directly involving me, I'm not called in. These only ever last longer than 10 minutes if something's wrong. There's nothing really to complain about except that 90% of the time "hey let's chat in 10 minutes" really means "hey I'm going to call you at some random point in the day so get ready fucko and you better not start anything too important because the second you do I'm going to ring"
>>
>>1546424
Is this a new meme?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.