[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the /biz/ rules for buying a new car? >taurus keeps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: donut.jpg (338KB, 1280x1464px) Image search: [Google]
donut.jpg
338KB, 1280x1464px
What are the /biz/ rules for buying a new car?

>taurus keeps breaking down, easily spend the $3k I bought it for on repairs each year
>after serpentine belt snaps twice in a year decide it's time to trade it in
>make $40k per year, $2k debt, no savings besides for my Roth which I don't want to draw from

I'm thinking I might want to just lease a car, get a payment under $200 and call it a day. In 2/3 years once the lease is over I'll be making $55-60k if not more and I can afford to buy something with cash. Thoughts?
>>
You could do that or buy a used car but make sure it's reliable and reasonable
>>
Don't take on unnecessary liabilities. If you can afford it, you pay for it with cash. Otherwise, you buy a cheaper car, or rent one.

If you need to take a loan, put at least 20% down because that's about how much your car will appreciate in its first year.

Lease is fine if you can keep your costs low, but the longer you ride the lease, the less cost saving it becomes.

Next time, don't buy a used ford taurus.
>>
>wasting money on a car
>>
>>1546225
This.
Can't even operate it while you're drunk without getting flak from the 5-0. Where's the fun in that. Take an uber.
>>
>>1546211
Dont buy new. Buy used from a reputable dealer
>>
>>1546228
Not everyone lives in a city tho. I never bought a car until i moved to rural midwest
>>
>>1546211
save aggressively for six months and buy an old corolla or something. if you have no savings and already have debt, do you really want to lock yourself into a $200/month obligation? what if you lose your job? also, assuming your salary will increase by 50% in 2-3 years is counting your chickens before they hatch.
>>
Where do you live?
If you dont get more than 1 month worth of heavy snow, get a moped or a chinky crotch rocket motorcycle.
I got a used junak 50cc bike for 500€. Repair is easier and it's fun to ride.
>>
>>1546252
>if you have no savings and already have debt, do you really want to lock yourself into a $200/month obligation?

I already pay more than that per month to pay down the debt. Once I'm through with the debt is when I'd get the new car. I'll probably throw every extra cent I earn at it at this point

>what if you lose your job? also, assuming your salary will increase by 50% in 2-3 years is counting your chickens before they hatch.

I'm obligated by contract to get at least that much of a raise. With overtime and extra jobs I'm being conservative, I could actually be making way more than that.
>>
Don't spend more than ten percent of your gross salary on a car
>>
>>1546211
Why wouldnt you just buy a reliable used car. What am i missing here?
>>
>>1546298
I don't really have time to save $5000 or so for a decent used car, my Taurus could have another catastrophic breakdown at any time. Seems to do so every month.
>>
>>1546211
ive seen this woman before and an entire thread in /biz/ turned into a big creep thread on her with more images, anyone got sauce?
>>
>>1546308
nvm i used google image search
>>
>>1546307
>$5k
You what? Fucking americans. You buy a jap economy shitbox, not some Ford piece of shit.
>>
>>1546307
So take out a small loan of 3 or 4k. The money youd save on a new car/repairing your old one would well outpace the couple hundred in interest
>>
>>1546316
I'm talking about toyotas here. how old is too old before maintenance becomes an issue?

>>1546323
this seems like a decent option to consider.
>>
>>1546316
Pretty much this
>91 honda civic for $1000 in 2000 for graduation gift
>Engine swap at 400k mi for $1000
>$50/yr for insurance
>$20/yr for tabs
>$30 for a full tank (30+mpg)
>Starts on first turn even in -30f
>Gave it to lil bro last year for college
>>
>>1546332
Unless your credit is dogshit the interest on a 12 month loan would be under 300
>>
>>1546332
>how old is too old before maintenance becomes an issue?
If you in snow states I recommend no older than 2000's model if not you can go as far back as 90's. Just make sure it wasn't owned by a ricer and always bring it in for a check up before buying.
>>
>>1546211
>don't
/thread.
>>
depending entirely on area and weather, get a shitbox and your fun car. new is just not worth it since the value will be 40% gone within the first year.

best example is some civic and miata. both are less than $7000 combined. you don't have to learn how to wrench just top the oil off and possibly change it every couple of years.

the million mile cars are all honda and volvo. 99% of hondas and toyota will last well over 300k if you literally just top off the oil. American mentality is to drive it till it dies because maintenance is for girly pussy men or something. use sites like carcomplaints to check for particularly bad models and use /o/'s free vin checkers.
>>
Try to finance a used car, ideally a 2010-2014

Go through your bank or credit union, they usually hook you up with a good rate

Also make sure you have SOME kind of warranty. It pays for itself as you're finding out with your Taurus right now
>>
Buy a single owner lightly used car with no accident history and comprehensive service records. Don't buy from areas with heavy flooding under any circumstance. Have it fully inspected prior to accepting it, particularly if it's from the rustbelt. Pay for a full fluid swap unless you have documented proof of it. Probably pay for new tires while you are at it, and possibly new brakes/rotors just to be safe.

Only go to a dealership to try out cars. Buy through a broker. Tell them what model, year, and options you want. Let them do the rest for you. It's a few hundred dollars, but it cuts out 90% of the bullshit of dealing with dealerships, and frequently ends up saving you money in the process. Unless you are getting certified pre owned (CPO), dealerships offer no benefits. Warranty work is comped regardless of whether you buy it through the dealership or not, and frequently you can get it done at a third party mechanic regardless.

I'd recommend mid 2000s or later Japanese shitboxes if you just want something that runs and runs and runs. Can't go wrong with a Corolla/Camry for maximum econo mode.
>>
>>1546404
Oh and I should add that there are some retarded deals going on with leases for EV's in some states. If you only travel a little ways each day for you commute, and groceries, something like a Nissan leaf can be leased for very, VERY little money if you want to go the lease route.

Buying is nearly always better if you drive a lot.
>>
>>1546211
If you are actually gonna stick to budget, go for the lease. Or finance a brand new Toyota with warranty at 0%.
>>
ok op here is all youll ever need to know:

prius

cheapest maintenance cost of any car

ok why are you still in this thread go out and get one and never look back.
>>
No point in Leasing unless you go big and through a C-Corporation or LLC-Corp use the tax right off to off set some gains.
Typically you set it up as a 2 year with the biggest payment possible. Basically your company just bought the car for half the sticker price.
Its a good deal if you can afford to float a car for a year, and get the money back on tax day.

It is the only fiscally sound way to lease a car I know of. Typically it is for high income earners, who could buy the car cash if they wanted to.

Beyond that Buy a used car, roughly 5 years old. Low mileage.
It sounds like you suck at determining quality though so pay a mechanic/auto flipper like $200 to help you make a shortlist and go buy a car.
Then if your credit/insurance situation is solid I'd consider freeing up the few thousand if you can get a cheap loan. and add to the thicckkk file. after 6 months full payments drop the loan 50%, after 1 year drop to 25%, after 18 months drop to 1% and keep it their for the lifetime of the loan.
>>
>>1546211

Buy used. Get a honda or toyota. have a mechanic inspect it before you buy it.

/thread
>>
>>1546211
>buying a new car
nah
>>
>>1547936
I've had my 2006 civic for 10 years and it's never been in the shop once
>>
>>1546211
Toyota
Corolla
>>
>>1546211

I dont know..
but whats the sauce for that big titty bitch?
>>
>>1548031

>ive had my new car for 10 years and never carried out any maintenance

the good news is that it'll be going to the shop soon
>>
>>1548071
>>ive had my new car for 10 years and never carried out any maintenance
Couldn't you just buy a used car every year for 10 years for the price of a new car?
>>
>>1548085
>>1548071

I presume he means that he's never taken it in for anything that wasn't routine/scheduled.
>>
>>1546345
>$50/yr for insurance
How is your insurance so damn cheap!?
>>
>>1548345
probably has minimum coverage and he is driving an old vehicle
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.