[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

looking for thoughts.... So I work in Advertising for a newspaper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: themadman.jpg (83KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
themadman.jpg
83KB, 1920x1080px
looking for thoughts....

So I work in Advertising for a newspaper and I have a meeting with a local sports promoter tomorrow to discuss exchanging tickets for advertising in our paper. The event is early next month.

I know his event isn't going to be televised (its a boxing event, about 1000 person venue). Anyways, Ive been bouncing the idea of offering to attempt to broker a broadcasting deal for him. For commission obviously.

So /biz/ I have literally no experience in this industry. What do you think the chances are of actually being able to secure a broadcasting deal, and how should I go about offering this to the promoter.

Any ideas would be helpful.
>>
In my head it seems so simple.

Ask him if I can try and sell the rights for a commission. I mean he has nothing to lose.

Then I just call a bunch of broadcasters offering the rights to broadcast the event for a good deal.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>1541429
...do you have the ear of any brodcasters? That is to say, do you know any of the commissioning editors closely enough that if he started cold calling he couldn't do the same?
What are you offering that he can't do himself?

How does it work with his current sponsors?

Sure you could bluff your way through it, but for fucksake RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH if by blind chance he does agree to let you broker a deal, you better be able to make it happen.
>>
>>1541444

No the reality is I have no experience except all the cold calling Ive done for my current job.

And yes, their is no reason he can't do it himself, but his past events he never secured broadcasting deals as I assume matchmaking, and marketing the event is a shit ton of work in itself.

I know he also runs another business as well, which I assume keeps him busy.

But if by some chance he says "fuck it, if you can sell the rights Ill give you a cut" what are the chances of just cold calling networks and getting a deal done?

Ive done radio exchange deals for my newspaper by doing the same thing. Just cold calling and seeing what I can get. Is their any reason TV deals are different? And what do me or him have to lose?

The event is going to take place with or without a TV deal, so if I did secure one, wouldn't it just be icing?
>>
>>1541472
>Is their any reason TV deals are different?
Expense and competition.

Live TV is damn hard. If it's a "highlights reel" prerecorded affair then you can do it a bit cheaper. But it's not you just set up a guy with a microphone and maybe a producer with a transmitter going back to the studio -- you need multiple cameras so multiple camera operators for seamless coverage, on air talent (with a microphone, that probably means you need someone on sound), you need graphics and music, then you need a way of transmitting it, oh and a guy doing a live vision mix.

If you negotiate a good deal with a broadcaster the fees will cover it, but it's just something to remember.

but anyway, you need to get out your local TV guide and look at the schedules of the brodcasters - are they carrying similar events? If not - why? If so - do they have room for more?

think about timeslots, who's watching. What kind of demographics can advertisers reach in the ad-breaks?

I suspect that if you get a meeting with a broadcaster they'll be like "come in with a 'sizzle reel'". that's gonna be a 5 minute video of this sport, show them why it makes good TV. How you intend to package it.
>>
>>1541523

>Expensive and Competition
Boxing in Canada isn't really huge as we don't have many stars. This is actually a pretty decent Card with a lot of up and coming Canadians, so I feel like thats a good selling point.

I also think that if the Promoter is going to host the event without a broadcaster, he would consider the TV money as icing and Allow it to go for cheap and therefore be great value for the broadcaster.
( Im making a bunch of assumptions here, Im aware)

Also, wouldn't broadcasters take control of the on air production and provide announcers?

I know the scheduling isn't out yet, but as far as I know there are no live events at the time to compete against this event, especially not in our area.

Is it worth a try, or do you think the promoter would tell me to fuck off? Keep in mind, the only reason Im having a meeting with him is because I called him and suggested we talk about a contra deal.

(Im a big boxing fan so I reached out to him)
>>
>>1541538
>Boxing in Canada isn't really huge as we don't have many stars.

That's actually a bad thing, no stars = no drawcard.

>I also think that if the Promoter is going to host the event without a broadcaster, he would consider the TV money as icing and Allow it to go for cheap and therefore be great value for the broadcaster.
Compared to an established televised sport, for sure.

But you need to work out what's the additional costs here, you don't want to seal a deal with a broadcaster, think it's all gravy and find out there's all this extra expenses you need to accommodate a TV crew, maybe because the TV broadcaster has a certain advertiser lined up the promoter has to cancel his deal with his own sponsor?

>Also, wouldn't broadcasters take control of the on air production and provide announcers?
I don't know. That's why I brought it up. Ultimately you wouldn't be doing it nor would the promoter, someone would be hiring an experienced "production company" to do all the TV stuff, the question is who pays for it? Broadcaster or Promoter.
How are you going to convince the Broadcaster to spring for that?

>I know the scheduling isn't out yet, but as far as I know there are no live events at the time to compete against this event, especially not in our area.
That's good if you intend on selling this as a live event. But you have to ask yourself - why? Why is there nothing competing against it.

Most important thing is to work our who would be watching and if advertisers would be attracted to that demographic and willing to advertise in a boxing timeslot.

>Is it worth a try, or do you think the promoter would tell me to fuck off?
Honestly? I think you should try it!
I figure you've got nothing to lose if he says fuck off.

But do your homework man. Information is leverage.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.