[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, /biz/, I need financial advice. Here's my situation:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Ok, /biz/, I need financial advice. Here's my situation:

>be 26 yrs old
>wife 28
>work in tech consulting, make 72k year
>should be up to 85k by end of the year
>wife in food service, makes 32k year
>have 14k in savings
>no debt
>just inherited 120k from family after marriage
>lease an apt for 14 hundred a month

The 120k is in an investment fund that does really well, but I hate having so much money in the markets. My gut says buy a home for 150k, lower my monthly payment to appx 800 a month, let my wife quit her shit job, and start her own catering business.

Thoughts? Better ideas on how to invest that 120k?
>>
>>1521466
Use your tech skills to make catering delivery online. Get rich.
>>
>>1521466
I bet your wife resents the fact that you make so much more than her, even though it's her fault for not choosing a more lucrative career.
>>
>>1521510
Starting my own business is something I plan to do, but in like 15 years or so. I'm only 26, need more experience and network.

>>1521520
She's pretty cool with it. She's not some uppity feminist who thinks she deserves to be paid more for her dumb career decisions. She's very much aware that women are happiest raising children, cooking, and running the household while men make money.
>>
>>1521466
If you know that you'll stay in the area for a few years buying can be better than renting, especially when you're not buying a palace and stick to your planned 150k. With 85k you can easily finance a family of 2 and still make significant savings if you're not entirely dumb with how you spend your money. Anything your wife makes from her new business will then be a bonus plus she gets do to what she likes.
>>
>>1521555
Nice trips. I'm definitely set on buying. Still not sure what to do with the remaining 100k after I buy, though. Owning a home will help, but having almost 80% of my savings in the market scares the shit out of me. I feel like there are better investments to make.
>>
>>1521561
It all depends on the investment horizon you have. If you need the savings in the next few years, then having most of it in the market might be suboptimal as it might force you to sell in a down market. If you invest this money to buy your financial independence over the long-term you can just leave it in the market for the next 30 years and not care about any swings that the market might have. In the past equities outperformed any other asset class over the long term.
>>
Buy land.
>>
>>1521466
The market is about to crash a la 2008, you need to get the money in the investment fund out and put it into gold or keep as cash for the time being. Don't buy the house yet, the housing market is extremely inflated, almost to the point that it was in 2007, so if you wait another year or two, you'll be buying at the perfect time and you'll get probably 50% off what you would pay today.
>>
>>1521579
Anywhere specific? What do I do with it?

>>1521586
This is interesting advice, but if I'm buy a house so cheaply, does it really matter? I'm not planning on staying there forever. Probably 3 or 4 years.
>>
>>1521586
Any particular reason why it should crash like 2008?
>>
>>1521561
Speak to an accountant or get a robo adviser. It will diversify your portfolio for you. Both obviously have fees a robo advisor is cheaper and easier to deal with(no scheduling appointments, waiting or other social bullshit).
>>
>>1521554
> in 15 years or so...

Enjoy staying poor. You have to chase your dreams relentlessly if you want it. Making a buisness in the Internet age costs under a hundred bucks. Just get a Url, find a hosting site and get moving.

It's like you didn't read Rich Dad, Poor Dad.
>>
>>1521661
You're correct. I don't read shit. I'm a lazy math nerd
>>
>>1521869
What does diversifying your investment mean to you? im thinking keep 50% in the fund another 50% in gold... bad idea or good idea?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.