[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girl wants to start a startup selling home accessories for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: My Only Marijuana Image.jpg (3MB, 4918x3278px) Image search: [Google]
My Only Marijuana Image.jpg
3MB, 4918x3278px
My girl wants to start a startup selling home accessories for living rooms, bedrooms etc. We have a name picked out and everything, but nothing is live yet online. We would be based solely online, though. I bought her the equipment, and we are currently looking for better quality product to remake all our test products and get started.

Yes I am new at startups.
Yes I've never ran a business before.
Yes I have to pay someone to make a website for me.
No, I have no idea how to run an internet only business.

Can I get some advice on what to expect? Taxes, customer fraud, general business operations (just me and the girly), etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>1510775
the first thing to expect is failure.
retail is pathetic, you need massive sales volume to turn a profit you can live off of.

if you do get massive volume for some weird reason you can expect most of your income after expenses to go to taxes. (2/3 of you income is standard in the US if you make more than about $60k). This is because employers pay half of their employees' taxes, and being self employed you pay both the employee tax and the employer tax. So your taxes are doubled.

On the plus side as far as taxes go, you can deduct some pretty crazy business expenses from your income. So your business may very well end up paying for part or all of your house, vehicles, meals out, vacations, exercise equipment, utilities, furniture, etc.

however you actually need to be making that kind of money before your business can spend it.

then of course once you finally get that far your competitors will have noticed you and reacted by either lowering their prices and driving you out of business, stealing your product ideas and advertising them better than you, suing you out of business for no particular reason, or buying you out. If you're smart you'll take the buy out.

if that day comes.
it probably won't
because retail to the public is pathetic.
>>
>>1510859
Ok, then what should I do to make money? How do other startups succeed then?
>>
>>1510859
>2/3 of you income
sorry, that's closer to 1/2. I don't know what I was thinking.

self-employment tax in the US is 15%, so you take your regular tax rate (probably about 15-30% depending on income) and add 15 to it. So an upper middle class self employed person is likely to pay about 45% directly to taxes.
>>
>>1510865
>what should I do to make money?
any work done for a bank or an insurance company pays nicely.
>How do other startups succeed then?
well they usually don't.
the ones that do are usually:
1. started by someone that's owned businesses in that field many times before
2. backed by huge amounts of cash
>>
>>1510865
also I didn't say you shouldn't try, just don't be hurt when it fails.

at least with that your losses won't be any big deal. And potentially you can learn a lot from doing it. Mostly you're going to learn that the internet is yuge, and advertising on it is both expensive and unproductive.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.