[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When should I buy a new car? My old car is starting to fail on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 20160916_152201.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_152201.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
When should I buy a new car? My old car is starting to fail on me and the idea of a new car is nice. Here's some info

>old car is 4 cyl 1999 camry ce
>240k miles
>problems are engine mounts, vaccuum leak, bent rims, worn tires, notworking wiper fluid line, some dryrot lines and worn out rotors
>have 4k in savings, isn't going anywhere atm besides my old car parts
>>
>>1508151

Drive it until it blows up. I doubt you'd get anything for it at this point anyway, so the value is just whatever scrap is. If it's in rush shape you wouldn't be able to part it out. (Not sure, you didn't state that).

Take 4k and buy the best valued vehicle you can get that doesn't require a payment. That's where your own personal homework will have to come in.
>>
>>1508151
Ive always heard this. If you have to make a major repair on a car, in order to see if its a better deal to fix the car or get a new one, take the cost of the proposed repair and divide it by 12. If the figure you get is half or more of what a new car payment would be, then buy a new car.

For example

Engine craps out. Its 3600 to repair or rebuild it. That's 300-ish dollars a month. Money better put to a new car.

Or

Some random ass thing craps out and its 1000 to replace. Thats under a hundred bucks a month so just suck it up and make the repair.
>>
>>1508158
Heh. Nice comparison. I'm planning on doing all this at home (besides the mounts i dont wanna fuck that up) so it should be cheap. I just hate the idea of piled up problems and waiting on parts to be delivered.

>>1508154
Good to know. My brother really wants rhis car but he doesnt know that deep inside I want to drive it til it dies.
>>
>>1508158

I like this, but I don't think there is any value left in the vehicle. The brake job (all around) is probably more than the vehicle.

If OP bought a new vehicle he would be buying a depreciating asset. I can't think of many new cars where the value increases when driven off of the lot.

Just going off of what OP says.
>>
>>1508162

I'm impressed that your brother wants a a vehicle that is almost 20 years old. Sounds harsh, but you're not exactly cruising for pussy in that thing, you have it because it is practical. If you didn't care about practicality, you would have dumped this a long time ago for a jacked-up pick up truck for the sole purpose of grocery shopping.
>>
>>1508151
>When should I buy a new car?

When it costs more to fix the old one than it's worth or it becomes unacceptably unreliable.

Everything on your list is likely a pretty easy google fix except the motor mounts and dry rot. I can't imagine a 4k car would put you much better off than you are now so you may as well fix what you can on this one and run it into the ground.
>>
>>1508172
Well his car is in worse condition. He always likes to try and take advantage of people and the things they own. Sounds harsh but that's him.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.