[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have 500k. How long will that last me in NYC, I'm a film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: vince-mcmahon.jpg (232KB, 1364x912px) Image search: [Google]
vince-mcmahon.jpg
232KB, 1364x912px
I have 500k. How long will that last me in NYC, I'm a film maker and I may or may not ever get another check this big again in my life but I have always wanted to live in new york so what do i do
>>
retire now fgt
>>
>>1503639
How the fuck did you make 500k as a filmmaker?
You a producer?

Either way you clearly need to work out what your primary revenue is going to be during that time. NYC is notoriously expensive to rent in.

Two other things:
1. Have you actually been there before as a tourist or otherwise?
2. What "lifestyle" are you accustomed to. I'm assuming you're use to living frugal, but how long can you keep that up for?
>>
>>1503644
screenwriter, producer, and director credit. i got 30% of gross plus my fee

i live pretty frugally and can probably keep it up until i die so 30 years or so if I stayed put in Toronto this 500k would last me for 30 years easy. i have a green card also
>>
You can live extremely cheap in NYC as long as you're willing to make some sacrifices. The best way to stretch your money is by not having an apartment.
>>
>>1503643
>retire
I'm 23 with roughly 400k
It's not enough to retire lol

If I work a little part time job it'd definitely help. But not enough to retire
>>
>>1503702
Cater. It sounds lowly, but I'm presently getting paid 30 an hour to drink, eat, and smooze with different people every week. Invest most of that 500k, keep enough for rent, and work like one gig a week for your life expenses. If you're seriously moving to NYC, I can give you more specific info.
>>
50k will barely buy you a 1 bed no bath house in NY NY.

You can retire in non cucked states with that much
>>
>>1503639
>has 500k
>wants to move to Jew York

I bet your movie sucked
>>
>>1504032
>You can retire in non cucked states with that much
nobody wants to live in Alabama, Cletus!
now get back under your porch.
>>
>>1503650
> i got 30% of gross
~1.6m net gross?
God damn, you're my hero.

All I can say is New York is notoriously expensive. London, Paris, New York are like that.

The issue is actually less economic as it is about lifestyle and choices.
Ultimately you can live as frugally or as luxuriously as you want.
What do you value more?
>Financial Security?
>The New York scene, and lifestyle?

or is now the time when you want to start buying the $50 bottle of wine not the $10, getting that Armani suite you always wanted, start buying silk shirts instead of cotton, buying the imported Italian Cheese instead of the domestic copycat which just isn't as good?

You said it yourself, New York is where you always wanted to live...
How much are you willing to sacrifice for that dream though.

Also start calling banks, seeing what kind of term deposit you can get, start looking at different investing portfolios: the returns might not be enough to live on, but if you can make it last 20 years rather than 14 through wise investing, why the fuck not.
>>
>>1503639
Not as long as you hope. Move somewhere cheap like West Virginia. Live like a king. Buy a house for $30K. Redneck chicks love money, laid every night.
>>
>>1504199
Just moved to New York from WV. West Virginia is trash. People are less intelligent, culture is bottom of the barrel, and the women are fat and ugly. If you're a neckbeard you'll be fine, but if you have anywhere near an education you'll be miserable.
>>
File: 1470990592902.jpg (20KB, 273x306px) Image search: [Google]
1470990592902.jpg
20KB, 273x306px
>>1504250
>tfw this sounds like my hometown
>hellodarknessmyoldfriend.wav
>>
Did your movie premiere at TIFF, op?
>>
>>1503666
>You can live extremely cheap in NYC as long as you're willing to make some sacrifices.
can you elaborate
>by not having an apartment
what do you mean by this? as in, live with roommates?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.