[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I not saving enough? I'm 29. Average monthly take home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1473474641347.png (9KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
1473474641347.png
9KB, 362x358px
Am I not saving enough? I'm 29.

Average monthly take home income is $3,600.

I sort of loosely kept track of my spending and it came to about this.

~$500 Savings - Vanguard Retirement Mutual Fund

~$1,000 Housing - Includes mortgage principle and interest, house insurance, taxes, and utilities.
~$250 House Savings - Second savings account I allocate money towards for home repairs, upgrades, etc.
~$25 House Upkeep - Gas for lawn mower and weed eater, grass fertilizer, insect killer, etc.

~$400 Truck - Includes insurance, gas, detailing, and oil changes.

~$250 Groceries - Includes food as well as household items like toilet paper, cleaners, shampoo, body wash, etc.

~$100 Cell Phone - Sprint Unlimited Data
~$100 Internet - Xfinity Internet 150 Mbps
~$10 Netflix
~$10 Spotify
~$105 TV - DirecTV Choice Package
~$20 XM Radio

~$500 Fishing - Insurance on boat, boat slip at marina, gas for boat, bait, new tackle, etc.

Leaves me with about $340-350 a month in spending cash, which I usually spend on new electronics and eating out. I purchased my house for $173K. I put $75K down at 3.6%. My truck and boat are paid off. I only have ~$40K in my mutual fund, but I have no debt besides my mortgage. Am I doing okay? All I really do is work and fish. No girlfriend/wife. No pets. Hardly talk to family. No friends.
>>
>>1503288
>Am I doing okay?
probably. Keep up on your retirement and try not to cash out your house.

you're doing better than probably about 90% of people your age. If you really want to turn up the heat keep an eye out for opportunities to become self-employed in your field or seek promotion in your career. That's where the adults actually make their retirement. Moving up in management or striking out as a consultant or contractor. Obviously one of these is riskier than the other.

If I was you I might consider getting my captains license and some liability insurance and taking people fishing for moneys.
>>
>>1503288
Didn't read this all but nice!

I'm 20 with just over $20k invested
>>
It's your decision really. I think it depends on some other factors such as what you do for a living, ie hard manual labor, you want to start saving more just because your body will start to decline, but if you have a cushy office job then that should be fine.

But looking at your expenses, the only thing I could really point out that I would say you should cut is your tv package. With netflix, plus like hulu and amazon if you have those, I don't think you would need to spend $100 on that a month. think, that's an extra 100 in your retirement every month. I could also suggest trimming down your spending budget by like 75-100 dollars, but that's probably a little too nitpicky.
>>
>>1503300
Oh yeah you might want to start looking into investing a bit more as well, not just your mutual fund.
>>
>>1503300

How else will I get NFL Sunday Ticket?
>>
Idk what part of the world you're in but your life sounds ridiculously cozy

Like who needs to spend $350/mo on the fuckn boob tube. I'd save that and travel the world. Or do something meaningful with it if travel isn't one of your core values.

I'd say everyone on this board is here because there's something severely lacking in their life. Take advantage of your financial situation to find what you need.
>>
I'd drop DirecTV and just really use that 105Mbps internet with a cheap VPN to get whatever shows you want.
>>
>>1503288
Fishing is your "vice", an expensive one, but one that doesn't hurt you like smokes or alcohol does. I'm not happy with the internet netflix directv combo or the spotify xmradio combo, could cut costs in those two groups, but like >>1503290 said, you're doing better than 90% of Americans, so don't worry at all about it unless you need to have more saved.
>>
>>1504484

I'm a truck driver, so I travel 5 days a week.

>>1504497
I'm thinking of dropping DirecTV for Sling TV. It only costs ~$50 a month. I only keep it to watch sports.

>>1504930
I could possibly stop keeping my boat at the marina, and fish from the bank more often. I'm a truck driver so Spotify and Netflix keeps me entertained at night. Have XM Radio for sports talk shows. Don't think Spotify has those.

I feel comfortable. I'm not stressed about my finances. Just wondering how normal it is to only have $40K savings at 29. I see 19-22 year olds on here posting that they have 2-3 times as much in savings. Are they full of shit?
>>
>>1503288

No
>>
>>1503288
Do you want to be saving more?

You sound better off than most, I'd cut a few expenses in your position (100$ seems high for a cell phone when you'd rather be fishing than talking on it) but you sound like you're doing fine to me.
>>
>doesn't give money to charity

Bretty good, but there is room for improvement
>>
>>1505393
Even if this board is pretty good you're still on 4chan.

So yeah, they're full of shit.
>>
>>1505393

I'm 24 and I have 53k in savings.

But that being said, I don't have the assets you have. I'm saving up for a house an don't own a boat or house.

The way I look at it-- Every 100k by 34 means $1m at retirement. I will try to reach as many 100k marks as I can before 34. I got 10 years-- Not too sure I can make it, but I'll try.
>>
>>1503288
You have everything budgeted which is good; I run retirement projections for work and I would guess that based on your numbers and a typical set of assumptions, your retirement projection would probably come in at 80-85% coverage if carried out to age 95-100.....assuming your car costs, boat costs carry throughout lifetime and your housing cost is cut to 500/mo at retirement. Usually looks really bad for younger people because of inflation and current rates of return that we have to use. Savings into a Roth IRA would look better, you are already budgeting enough to max it out at 5500/yr and you would still have enough for NQ savings into your vanguard fund.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.