[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been offered to live in someone's vacation home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Ted Kaczynski and his cuckshed.jpg (96KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
Ted Kaczynski and his cuckshed.jpg
96KB, 500x381px
I've been offered to live in someone's vacation home for free for a few years if I promise to use my carpenter skills to renovate it. They said that we can write a contract so that I can get a piece of the cake when they sell it, but what if they never sell it?

Is this a good deal or is it slavery? Should I ask for a salary instead?
>>
>>1499531
it depends very much on what your time is worth, what rent runs in that area, and how long it will take you.

this should be a pretty simple math calculation.

ignore the thing about getting some of the sale cash, unless you plan on putting a lien on the building you'll probably never see it. Assume you won't get that money and then if they pay you something it's a bonus.
>>
>>1499534
I'm a neet so my time isn't really worth anything and I don't even know how long I'll stay there so how am I supposed to do a calculation?

Nobody rents over there. It's in the middle of nowhere. I'll live on gibs from the government while I work on the house. I don't mind being a slave for room and board as long as the work I do is comfy. I honestly think it's a really good deal, but I'm afraid that others will make fun of me for being taken advantage of.
>>
>>1499534
This.

>>1499543
No-one's gonna make fun of you for free rent.

If they're gonna draft up a contract, the following - at minimum - should be things you should consider:
- What will and will you not do? For example, are there things (the roof, power lines, etc.) that you won't deal with for liability reasons?
- Who pays for materials?
- Who pays for electricity, gas, water, internet, etc? Who pays if something, like a fridge, breaks down?
- How much would they expect to be involved in decisionmaking (colors, design, etc.)? Would you have to consult with them before undertaking projects?
- Would you be expected to do a certain number of projects per month/year, or would it be more generic than that?

I wouldn't bother with the salary if you can negotiate the above satisfactorily.
>>
A few years of free rent for carpentry work? That sounds like the easiest trade ever. Might as well have something to do while you're living there.

Assuming you are going to be there for 3 years you could very easily finish the renovations well before that. Only so much you can do in 3 years unless you plan to tear down the house and start from scratch.
>>
>>1499550
>What will and will you not do? For example, are there things (the roof, power lines, etc.) that you won't deal with for liability reasons?
I can do electricity work but I probably won't do any roofing.

>Who pays for materials?
They'll pay for the materials.

>Who pays for electricity, gas, water, internet, etc? Who pays if something, like a fridge, breaks down?
I pay for my own consumption. I don't know what we'll do if something breaks

>How much would they expect to be involved in decisionmaking (colors, design, etc.)? Would you have to consult with them before undertaking projects?
They'll give me plans and I'll do them. Of course I can make my own suggestions if I want to but they obviously have the final say.

>Would you be expected to do a certain number of projects per month/year, or would it be more generic than that?
I'll bring that up with them

>>1499557
A normal person would think it's a waste of time because they would want to get back into the rat race.
>>
>>1499564
Rent in the middle of nowhere is cheap, I would try and wing it without any written contracts, you may want to bolt some day. I would jump right into that myself, maybe even get a lawyer after a year and claim squatters rights, booby trap the place like Ted! Write a manifesto on a mechanical typewriter 'n shiat!
>>
>>1499579
This is not a bad idea but the thing is that if I were to sign a contract I wouldn't sign any obligations for myself, only for them.
>>
>>1499531
Make a deal that it will be sold by ____date for ____$ or they owe u for your labor the agreed upon amount anyway.

Example. They offer you 10% on a $100,000 sale 4 years from now. Get the contract drawn up for: they owe you $10,000 on or before 4 years from today. That way, if they don't sell ot u still get paid. And rightfully so, you did work on it.

I do this often as i can actually. I lnow most everyonw in my small community and i set up a $200 limit or so depending on the property and try to get newly single guys in my properties to paint and fix shit up. This makes them take more pride in the home and take better care of it. Forces appretiation in my home. And if they descide to not charge near the max at the hardware store they can pay double that as rent.

So if they have a hard month at work they dont have to come home and lay a kitchen floor for example.
>>
>>1499564
I don't know if you have serviceamerica in your area but as a landlord they're fucking fantastic.
>>
Inb4 unlimited redos by micromanaging owners who visit everyday
Inb4 op sued for trying to escape 2 years later
Op locked into contract is actual slave with no wage lol
You should do it Op
>>
>>1500487
this.
why they too poor just to hire a crew and get in done in 6-12 weeks? There can't be that much carpentry work unless it requires more than a one man team.
People are never happy with work at first. it's always 'well I wish this board was like this...' 'I wish this angle was colored different...'
if you actually knew carpentery, go work as a carpenter,
it's going to be hell and if you are friend you will not be friends afewards
>>
>>1499531
>They said that we can write a contract so that I can get a piece of the cake when they sell it, but what if they never sell it?

ask for a clause in the contract whereby they're obliged to sell it after X years or buy out your % as valued by an independent valuer
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.