[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im thinking of getting an MBA and majoring in real estate instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: RealEstate1.jpg (389KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RealEstate1.jpg
389KB, 1000x1000px
im thinking of getting an MBA and majoring in real estate instead of finance, accounting, or anything else even though most of my work experience is in finance/accounting and 0 in RE

realistically, what kind of a career paths could i build with such a degree? obviously not a RE agent that makes no sense

situated in NYC btw
>>
>>1496947
Plenty of people do job transitions after getting an MBA.

That said, think of it this way: there's a heirarchy of difficulty in job jumping after getting an MBA.
EASY: Jumping from Company A to Company B
MODERATE: Jumping from Industry A to Related Industry B
HARD: Jumping from Industry A to Unrelated Industry B

That said, it's not impossible, just a pain in the ass. While getting your MBA, you may want to see if you could package up your work experience properly - that is, get into mortgage financing or something that bridges the gap. You could then spin that into a tangible job with a loan servicer or originator, for example.
>>
>>1496968
thanks for the info; im aware that it wont be easy getting into RE coming from finance, but im hoping that good networking and university will help me out - especially here in NYC

anyway, im just trying to figure out career paths related to RE?

the thing is im getting a little tired of finance related work so im trying to move a bit away from it and i feel RE is something i will enjoy and do well in, although i cant base that off anything
>>
>>1496979
Makes sense.

This is actually a great topic to raise with the MBA program's career services department. Reason being - a lot of MBA programs are pretty aware of this issue and seem to have a stable of connections you could exploit. Case in point, the one I'm doing now is helping a lot of HR people get the fuck out of HR by having a list of companies looking for "HR-savvy" Marketing people or whateverthehell.

With that said, that rises and falls on the strength of the MBA program. If you're in NYC, I'm sure you'll have plenty of great options.
>>
>>1496979

what are you tired of?

why don't you pick something else in finance when there are so many job opportunities`?
>>
>>1496990
tired of sitting in front of excel all day
just feel like i need a change of focus
plus, i came to realise that i dont enjoy it as i thought i would initially and ive looked into just about every finance path. the ones that do interest me, seem to be completely out of reach

which is why RE is something ive been considering

does anyone know where i can take an MBA in RE???
>>
page 10 save rave
>>
^
>>
^^
>>
>>1496995
Where are you going to go to school in NYC? Where did you get your undergrad from?
>>
>>1499825
Did my undergraduate at a public uni in New York

As for which schools I'm looking at? Well, there are plenty and I'm by looking at just New York, but more likely than not, I will stay in NYC, so I have plenty of options - nyu, baruch, maybe Columbia if I'm that good

Anyway, I'm more focused in what I can achieve with an mba in RE than the school picking
>>
>>1499983
Did you graduate from Baruch?
>>
>>1500188
No, but it's a school I am considering for an mba
>>
>>1500240
Got it, I'm considering transferring there from another CUNY to finish my finance undergrad. What's the perception of Baruch/Zicklin in the real world?
>>
>>1496947
If you're in nyc fucking drop out, get a job, and start investing in real estate. Over the counter personal finance books and real estate investment books will help you make it rich anon. College is for industrial age cucks and rich kids.
>>
>>1500658
But I'm 21 with $10k...not quite enough to get into NYC real estate lol.

Can you recommend any real estate books? I will read anything
>>
>>1500658
Shit advice you really haven't factored many things into the equation

Bump for serious replies
>>
>>1496995

I worked in re investment banking and it is literally excel all day. I didn't do a single site visit in the year I was on the team. Model was 27 tabs. I realized how boring and linear re finance is and left for a aerospace and defense job where I have somewhat more fun. Still excel tho.
>>
>>1501653
Yeah exactly it's just something not for everyone I think

Glad you're enjoying your new path

I've actually looked into the defense space, but more operations/supply chain oriented than finance side. It's another path I'm considering for MBA. As seen in this thread, I'm still exploring in the early stages of my next move

Cheers
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.