[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can we invest in making the phone free and descentralized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: php0phsp8.jpg (152KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
php0phsp8.jpg
152KB, 970x546px
How can we invest in making the phone free and descentralized in the internet like was done with email?
>>
>>1492869
No. There are a lot of reasons, but the biggest ones:
- Massive expenditures required to implement any wireless tech, meaning carriers call the shots in a lot of cases
- Thousands of patents on virtually every aspect of the technology
- Saturation of the market in terms of hardware, where most consumers evince a desire to have their hands held (i.e. Apple's walled garden).

That said, 3GPP and ETSI are probably as close as we'll ever come to what you're describing.
>>
>>1492878
The problem is, right now calls to advance have to work only on the internet
Calls made from 3g are only slow and expensive because they go through the internet to the phone line
Calls only through the internet is the solution to make 3g viable to make calls
>>
>How can we invest in making the phone free and descentralized

What? Can you re-word that? I don't speak Retardian. Are you talking about service providers?
>>
>>1492895
I cant even
>>
>>1492869
Modular smartphones

Idea got abandoned though. Probabpy because it fucks with big players
>>
>>1492891
Please re-study 3G communications, I'm not sure that you understand how it works.

The Internet really isn't the problem with cellular communications, it's running the fiber and getting the base stations set up. "Calls through the Internet" is already done in VOIP implementations, that doesn't fix the underlying issue that you need to literally dot the map with towers and base stations. We're not even getting into the cost of getting the relevant FCC licensing, handling new inventions in cellular tech (i.e. whatever will come after 4G), etc.

>>1492954
Wrong. You missed a really good topic on this on this very board. The tl;dr is that the underlying design of smartphones does not lend them to modularization, and adding modularity adds both size and points of failure. Moreover, the whole "I want a modular cell phone!" idea is based on a fundamental misconception about the internals of smartphones - you don't really get much real estate by removing - for example - a camera, and a lot of the real estate MUST be taken up by things like the battery, cellular radios, etc.

That doesn't even get into the silliness of assuming that you could develop a modular cell phone that had modular component bus speeds ready for future parts but which were reasonably small or failure-proof.
>>
>>1492869
VOIP
>>
>>1492869
No such thing as free.

Inner city niggers already get free phones.
>>
>>1492869
Well, there's already a significant amount of development in programs which provide recycled phones to low income households.

In order to socialize access to cellular data and towers, we have to make it a matter of national pride. E.g. Shitting on countries with poor cellular connection and speeds, that way democratic countries will feel compelled to vote for policies which strengthen cellular infrastructure. Of course many democratic countries are in a capitalist stage where these industries have been privatized, it would be too difficult to nationalize them, but pushing an angle along the lines of:

"I went to the US last week and they don't even have public cellular data, what a shitty 3rd world country."

Once the infrastructure is good enough, even private companies can be compelled to give away basic services for free, because of consumer goodwill and attracting new clients (put data caps on free services, make them functional enough to not be frustrating to use, but just crappy enough that someone who can afford it will pay to get past the pay wall).

All of this can be subsidized for the greater benefit of the economy. On the lowest end, you can boost workforce participation, at the upper end, strengthening communications infrastructure is beneficial to many industries
>>
>>1492869
It can be. Most major cities have free WiFi, or the ability to at least connect to an isp's WiFi network. Just buy a cheap tracfone, never get service, turn on airplane mode and download Google voice app. Free unlimited everything. And since even unactivated phones are required to have emergency call access, you even get 911 service without paying that stupid cell tax.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (328KB, 1174x1528px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
328KB, 1174x1528px
>>1492869
>making the phone free
They already are dirt cheap and you can make your own with an Arduino.

They rely on an expensive network of cell towers to make it feasible. The only thing that could change this is long distance wifi.

Maybe the goal is too lofty. A long distance free texting service using ham radio boosters may be more feasible.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.