[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any chance for someone with social anxiety disorder in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1472325884919.png (34KB, 470x512px) Image search: [Google]
1472325884919.png
34KB, 470x512px
Any chance for someone with social anxiety disorder in the /biz/ world?
>>
try r9k
>>
Option 1: trade memestocks and crypto

Option 2: Kneepads
>>
>Social Anxiety
I used to think I had that to until I realized it was a meme and I could do anything I want if I forced myself to do it.
>>
>>1479636
But why can't we just do it naturally since birth?
>>
>>1479621
I've never been clinically diagnosed with SAD, but I Dr. Google says I've got it, so it must be true. I think that what worked for me was to just stop hating myself for being a the way I am and instead just roll with it. I got a degree in Commerce, major in Finance, perhaps because I was drawn to some romanticized idea that Finance guys are sociopathic lone-wolves. Of course that's stupid non-sense, but my degree did allow me step up career wise to a level where everyone is expected to act professionally. If everyone is more or less acting by some loosely-defined unspoken but conservative code of conduct, it makes light socialization so much easier. You know it's all shallow bullshit, but it's painless shallow bullshit. Workplace interpersonal drama is just different once you're working at a professional level. It's just politics mostly.

I got recruited by a prop-trading firm (speaking of sociopaths) and my autism (Dr. Google again) was a huge asset, because instead of being pegged as a guy who can't see the forest for the trees (lacking big picture, obsessing over tiny details) I was quickly recognized as a guy who knew every little technical detail about the software, market structure, regulations, etc. My weirdness was an asset, it made me a gatekeeper of seemingly trivial but potentially essential information. I became a mage of sorts and was quickly promoted for the value I added to the trading operation, even though I wasn't an especially talented trader. Again, my obsession with details worked to my advantage in the role of monitoring and managing risk of the other traders.

TLDR: just fucking accept that some dogs are bouncy lap dogs, some dogs are pack dogs, and some dogs sit in that darkness under the step and you can't tell if they are hiding from you or thinking about biting you. But they're all useful if employed in the correct way. They are all fucking miserable if you try to "train" them to do something that isn't in their nature.
>>
>>1479669
good post, thanks anon
>>
>>1479646
Because autism
>>
>>1479621
Yup. Try Zoloft. It's a fucking miracle drug. I went from being a borderline agoraphobic hobo, to an inside sales rep, to self employed.

Do it and shut up.
>>
>>1479702
Are you still on Zoloft? is it a life-time prescription sort of thing?
>>
>>1479702
I think about this idea of drugging a person into "normalcy". I think about being a socially awkward kid, who spent more time with books than peers, who was always at the top of his class, but last to be picked for sports, etc. I think about that kid, and wonder if he should have been drugged to be normal, so he could be cool, and popular, and learn baseball. I guess he could have gotten invited to parties more, and drank more beer, and fucked more sluts. Probably could have sat around on the tailgate of a Chevy truck, drinking Budweiser with Chad and Stacy, and singing along to the chorus of that song everybody liked that summer. But instead, that kid, who thought all of that was bullshit (maybe sour grapes, maybe not) and who instead pursued paths that built intellect and character.

I have skewed this a bit, admittedly. I also remember that little kid being very sad, angry, frustrated, and deliberately antisocial. I remember that kid acting out and getting into trouble. I remember that kid becoming a teen who tried to self-medicate with booze and drugs to try to fit in.

I don't have an answer to what is right and wrong, but if I had a time machine right now, I would not go back in time and drug that kid that I was. I would just let him make some mistakes and take some time to figure out who he was and what he wanted and that maybe being "normal" isn't actually an admirable goal.
>>
>>1479761
Ok.
>>
>>1479621

You can overcome your issues with therapy, proper lifestyle, and books addressing the issue.

"When Panic Attacks" is an excellent book for you.
>>
>>1479636

This.

Social anxiety is like stage fright. You must continue to attack it, to beat it. via exposure, and self coaching.
>>
>>1479702

I had a similar experience. I took EffexorXR for 3 years. I've never been more confident and more happy than when I used that drug.

It made my dick partially numb though, solely for that reason I stopped taking it.
>>
>>1479621
You can do a lot of analyst type jobs where you're just sitting in an office dealing with numbers all day, but you'll hit a ceiling at some point because you'll be expected to start having more face to face interaction with clients and bringing work in. I'm a little bit at that point right now. I am okay with dealing with coworkers and emailing clients, but I hate when my phone rings and I'm not expecting a call (or even if I am expecting a call). For some reason my brain defaults to thinking its going to be someone asking me something I don't know the answer to or someone who is mad at me for something.
>>
>>1479621
I've known a lot of accountants like that.
>>
>>1479702

Zoloft, huh? Why haven't you been prescribed Xanax instead? Was it the first suggestion of the shrink? Also, have you been prescribed other SSRI (or other non-benzo drugs in general)?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.