[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any school programs to go into that are like architecture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: botes.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
botes.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Are there any school programs to go into that are like architecture but are not meme degrees?

I care entirely too much about spaces and the flow through them, but not so much about actual engineering of the space to not collapse under its own weight (I view it as a largely uninteresting long-since solved problem)

Is there still demand for architecture or urban design, or should I just go back to school for 3d art and animation and hope to become a level designer for shooting games instead of 'tisming out about parks and roadways?
>>
>>1473872
Closest I can think of would be industrial engineeeing. Facility and production optimization and the like
>>
>>1473872
>using vanilla ports
>not squaring the shore
>that fucking avenue
>those streets
>vanilla fucking trees and water

Fucking hell.
>>
File: network addon mod.jpg (87KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
network addon mod.jpg
87KB, 800x600px
>>1473875
I'm not so big on management. I'm more into controlling space so it subtly smooths out work rather than actually painting lines down for people to follow and regimenting shift changes.

Is Industrial Design a meme degree? I think I'd be happy designing ergonomic screwdrivers or making glassware for bars that's both stylish and easy to clean.

I really can't make it clear enough that I'm a design wonk and not an engineer. I can understand the principles of engineering but I really fundamentally don't care as long as it works and don't have a head for complicated math like you need in EE or anything involving fluids.

>>1473883
port addons make me sad because ports are literally bugged and straight up do not work and are a detriment to your city
>>
>>1473889
there was so much that was done for sc4 that never made the final cut... like naturally occuring climate change instead of only using god buttons.
>>
>>1473902
>like naturally occuring climate change
considering how destructive the terraforming tools are to terrain, thank fucking god this never happened.

though I think trees and animals will propegate naturally. I'm not sure what animals do mechanically, though.
>>
>>1473908
are to buildings*
>>
>>1473908
aesthetics
but they had it where certain sides of a hill would have different grass due to different winds and sun exposure
there was to be snow and rainfaill
the climate change would've been a very slow process
it was actually a very, very powerful game but they didn't include like 50% of the source code and they don't feel like releasing it cause muh shekels.
really sad desu, we had to make the game for them
>>
>>1473914
>didn't include like 50% of the source code and they don't feel like releasing it cause muh shekels.
I thought it was because most of it either didn't work, like seaports and sea travel until Rush Hour, or was reduntant, like the hyper-low capacity "Country Dirt Road" street type that eventually got adapted into RHW?
>>
>>1473926
it was a lot due to the time constraints on debugging that they couldn't release most of the code cause ya know, business pipelines and stuff
plus most of the computers couldn't handle a lot of the processing that went on
plus they get more money from you buying an expansion that includes fucking avenues and a ferry

there might be some posts about it on simtropolis. i think it does delve into some aspects of the city itself and how it works, as well.
>>
>>1473968
this is highly interesting and i'd like to know more but I feel we're getting sidetracked from my original question of how to pursue a career in Making Pretty Spaces That Don't Suck To Move Through without getting suckered into a nojobs meme degree thats even worse than poli-sci
>>
>>1474009
oh ummm
city development
lemme look into that real quick cause i used to know quite a bit about it
>>
you can do civil engineering and get a military job with it or you can just get into school and go ahead and start applying for public sector jobs
or if you're really, really concerned about aesthetics go pure urban engineering and/or just trying to get some networking done with city employed people

you might be able to do something with private sector, cause a lot of subdivisions are actually privately owned so the city doesn't do the planning for them.
>>
>>1474062
>civil engineering
this falls back into the "i'm not an engineer" though

>military job
I have a job in the military and can safely say that there is no place for a civil engineer in the military. I don't think we even have those bridge-building tanks anymore.
>>
>>1474077
you need to be an engineer to know what works though
like... do you think you're just naturally good at this shit or something?
>>
File: 1426243650084.jpg (35KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1426243650084.jpg
35KB, 800x450px
there's a big difference between designing a bathroom's plumbing so it doesn't back up on rainy days and actually figuring out where to put a bathroom and lay it out so people aren't awkwardly bumping into eachother with their dicks out

or with a roadway, there's managing the turns so you can maintain proper highway speeds through the whole thing, and then there's pouring the asphalt or concrete so it doesn't melt at the first rain or become frictionless in a snowfall. they're entirely different fields
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.