[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're legitimately talented as an artist, and not one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: drama_mask_by_zakhren.jpg (31KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
drama_mask_by_zakhren.jpg
31KB, 600x424px
If you're legitimately talented as an artist, and not one of the following:

>Someone who just wants money from being a rock-star/painter/best selling writer
>Someone who just wants the social prestige of being "artistic"
>Someone who just wants a free pass to abuse substances and behave in socially abnormal ways

then why wouldn't you cash in on your artistic talents? Talented actors, writers, painters, sculptors, and musicians can easily make a living or even a fortune doing what they love as long as they are legitimately talented, it's socially prestigious, and you are your own boss after you've done the mandatory dick sucking of your publisher/record label/gallery, but everyone has to do that.
>>
Well to answer your question a lot of artists prefer the anonymity of poverty which allows them to more purely focus on their medium and never become part of the machinery in the first place. Staying with smaller, communal art galleries, or self-publishing records.

But on the other side of the equation I've always liked what Squarepusher said:
> why wouldn’t you want to sell a lot of records? Why wouldn’t you want to get your work out to as many people as you can? As long as you haven’t ruined it in the process.

That's the key though "as long as you haven't ruined it in the purpose".
Are you doing your best work, or the work that makes the most money?
>>
>>1463123
I don't mean actual poverty. I mean they will have a wageslave job for most of the week in an unconventional job.
>>
>>1463123
>>1463127

Right, but even small gallery artists, self-published indie musicians, and independent writers who don't have contracts with the big six are still able to make a living through their art even if they aren't stupendously wealthy. They just have to promote their art, but spending time self-promoting is probably more fulfilling than working a job unrelated to their art, be it flipping burgers or flipping securities.
>>
>>1463141
Depends on where they live. How marketable their art is. Their personal promotion skills. You can't just make such a broad stroke on this.

Never forget that the security of a wage-slave job's constant income may be what invigorates them to create. That security let's them work guilt free.

And for other people, yes, they could full time do their work... but it's a really circumstantial thing, if you just happen to like making Dubstep or whatever is the genre of the day in music, or you happen to be brought up in a town which digs Folk Music just as much as you do, then you'e got a better chance of making it a full time thing.

That's a crapshoot part. And then, like especially writers are really introverted people who don't have the sales knack to make a full time career out of it.

It's basically a marketing principal: do you have what other people want. The thing is for an artist, they can't change what they offer. Well, a 'legitimate' one anyway.
>>
>>1463173
Wait, "work guilt free ON THEIR ART". Need to clear that up.
>>
>>1463112
My art is self-expression, not a product to be sold. Unfortunately this massive ego and pride is why I'm still poor
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.