[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the most practical major today? I'm attending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 2equals1.png (14KB, 525x410px) Image search: [Google]
2equals1.png
14KB, 525x410px
what's the most practical major today?

I'm attending Duke this fall, however, I'm going undecided. Unfortunately, I have interests considered useless in college education (music, film, art, history, politics, etc.) so It' not clear.

How awful is Law going to be by the time I get out if that's the path I choose. Would you consider it cost effective?

No knpd memes,or
>he went to college
>>
>>1463101
>Duke
>not majoring in statistics
baka
>>
>>1463101
>How awful is Law going to be by the time I get out if that's the path I choose.

Wait, are you asking if law as a career is going to still be shitty in 4 years? Gonna have to practice the clarity of your writing or the professors at Duke are going to crucify you.

Law is gonna be shitty for a long time. The market is still oversaturated, both in terms of lawyers and law schools. That's not going to change in 4 years.

>Would you consider it cost effective?
haha no

The only way in which it would be "cost effective" is if you are some supergenius who pops out of Duke with a 4.0 and gets a near-full or full-ride scholarship to a T14. Then, and only then, would it really make sense.

Otherwise, you're going to be assuming $250k+ of debt and shoved into a law firm billing 80 hour weeks and regretting every second of it.
>>
>>1463101
Choose some kind of engineering. Everything else is unemployment or Starbucks tier.
>>
>>1463161
how about economics?
>>
>>1463163
econ + a quantitative degree will do you wonders.

e.g. Econ/Finance+Engineering/Stats/Math/Actuarial/ Physics
>>
>>1463101
Btw, your image is wrong. BEcause 'a-b' is 0 (it was stated at the top a = b, thus if a were 7, b would be 7, 7-7=0)

You can't divide by 0, everything after line 4 isnt right

On line 4 you basically have 0=0, then it suddenly changes to 2a=a.
>>
Well you go to duke so you could major in art history and work at Goldman in four years. But if you have any aptitude for math just major in that. You'll have infinite options.
>>
It's impossible to do STEM if you are not an autist.
>>
>>1463101
Applied math and statistics is pretty utilitarian, if you could swing a double major I would recommend a comp sci or comp-e suppliment. The applied math will net you an analytics job at any company big enough to need an in house asset and prime you for the actuary exam if you wanna go that route, although an actuarial degree would be better if you want to go that route. The comp sci/eng with the math and stat will qual you for a systems analysis or simulation position at a high technology manufacturer. Of course you could fall back on the comp sci and be a code monkey if you are retarded and like repetitive, monotonous, shit work for shit pay. For a cushy think tank position your going to need graduate level education and credentials. Finance or econ also meshes well with applied math if you want to play them markets and make joocy financial gainz.
>>
>>1464059
How would you describe the interior contents of an applied maths degree?
>>
>>1463290
I figured. You don't think I'll be stuck in a dead end job no? I mean obviously I don't think I'm going to be CEO as soon as I graduate, but long term, would I have been just as fine if I went to a state school?
>>1463295
yeah, made to filter the brainlets

>>1463810
goldman's pet schools are UPenn and Princeton I believe
>>1463910
maybe I'll make it
>>1464059
I'm no math jesus. Still decent, though. The only thing about a double major is that I would like time for interning and clubs/organizations/my band
>>
File: 1459860018430.gif (366KB, 612x3658px) Image search: [Google]
1459860018430.gif
366KB, 612x3658px
College is a scam but the one good thing about it is you get to network with people who will help you be employed later.
>>
>>1463101
whatever your good at and love and can do well and help others with
>>
>>1464065
At my university there was an emphasis on mathematical and statistical modeling methods. Basically we took the intro classes (calc, stats, logic, math modeling softwaer, gen ed bullshit) then introductory courses in mathematical modeling and statistical modeling and then had to fill a quota of knowledge electives and application electives. the knowledge electives were what you would see in a standard mathematics curriculum (advanced calculus, Bayesian statistics, number theory, etc). I went to a research university so the application electives were usually grounded in the experiments done at the time. So a "methods of characterizing multivariate systems" course would essentially be a study of multivariate experiments that were currently going on at the university.

all in all not bad, I had fun and I felt well equipped when I entered the work force.
>>
>>1464186
Sounds positive. By the by, were matrices a part of the course? They're the one math thing I never got around to fully understanding. I never knew what the purpose of them was.
>>
>>1464146
I'd say it's a scam but only insofar as it pretends to increase knowledge. If you come out from university wiser or with a greater understanding in any way shape or form, it was best tangential to uni itself.

Insofar as uni measures people for employability, it's half-honest. Really though, I regret that unis are doing this at all.
>>
>>1463101
b/b /= 1
>>
if a = b -> (a + b)(a - b) = 0 =/= (a + b) = 2a = 2b

10/10 doubtd my sanity for a moment.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.