[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a college student currently moving into his junior year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: univ.jpg (462KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
univ.jpg
462KB, 800x599px
I'm a college student currently moving into his junior year at a state university. I'm majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in materials science in engineering, and I have a 3.98 GPA.

My question is, is mechanical engineering really that oversaturated of a field? I've been stressed out about this for years. I intend to go on to graduate school and I'm terrified that I've made the wrong choice of major.

What do I need to know if I want to go on to earn a masters in mechanical engineering at a high-profile place like Caltech or MIT? I've been working in a professor's research lab but I'm worried I'm not doing enough.

What if I would like to earn a masters in Chemical engineering or MSE (as I've been seriously considering) instead? Do graduate schools really care about bachelors minors in those fields?

As a 3rd-year student, what should I be doing right now?
>>
>>1461274
Applying for internships & networking 24/7.

You have a perfect GPA retard, go out there and get a job.
>>
>>1461278
>>1461274
Why not study comp science? I have 2 year exp and a shitty GPA and make over 100k in kansas. I also have a bs.
>>
>>1461278
Not OP but I graduate next semester with a BS in CS and I've never done an internship. I have a part time job that pays way better than average since I got it via nepotism, but if I quit for an internship I may not have been able to get it back.
Am I fucked?
>>
>>1461284
Na I hire comp Sci majors all day. Just have a good attitude and act like you are excited to learn
>>
>>1461283
I prefer engineering, though I'm also learning some programming languages in my spare time.

>>1461278
Most the classes I've taken up to this point didn't really conduce themselves to establishing a personal relationship with the professor. However, that could also just be a product of my being fucking retarded.

How do I go about making friends with professors so that they'll be able to write letters of recommendation? Do I just stop by their office and shoot the shit about engineering?
>>
>>1461274
>Majoring in Mechanical engineering
What is your senior thesis going to be about? The theory of changing spark plugs.
>>
>>1461292
Have you gone to office hours?

I just try to stop by 3-4 times a semester and get an A, and then they always give me a letter of recommendation.

My school has 46K people.
>>
>>1461299
I've yet to take enough 400 level ME courses to offer an intelligent opinion.
>>
>>1461301
The problem I've run into is that professor's I've spoken to don't feel they know me personally enough to write a strong letter.

Is that really all it takes? Just going in a few times a semester and chatting? Maybe I was overthinking it.
>>
>>1461305
You are. They write letters of recommendation all the time, just give them an e-mail a few weeks in advance of when you need it. Sometimes they are busy.
>>
>>1461305
You can also go up to them right after class and ask questions, or sit it front that might help too.
>>
>>1461284
If your part time job is CS related or you can spin in it to something computery im sure u will be fine
>>
>>1461329
Most of my work is done on a computer but it has fuck-all to do with software engineering. It's basically data entry.
>>
>>1461274
Your GPA is an indication of your work ethic/intelligence.

If you get a 3.7+ in a STEM field you will have no issue at all in getting internships/part time work in related industries.

If you are interested in MechE/Materials you will be much happier (and thus get a higher GPA) studying that subject. Some argue the E-engineerings (CE, ELectronics, ELectrical etc), are safer, but, MechE will be fine and you with a good GPA won't be an issue at all.

Just try and get as much as experience as possible, even if it means you work for free during 6 weeks in your holidays
>>
>>1461332
Maybe write a bit of code that automates a process or 2 and then you can say you automised monotonous tasks

I did it for some mathy thing and normies froth over me telling them
>>
>>1461334
My job is running documents through a scanner, and occasionally proofreading and then mailing credits.
There's really nothing to automate.
>>
3.4 GPA in Economics & Math degree because of shitting the bed Freshman year
>>
>>1461350
I'm only at about 3.2 on my CS degree and that's inflated by my easy minor (Japanese).
I can't focus on math classes at all so they drag down my GPA.
>>
>>1461350
>>1461350
A 3.4 is bad?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.