[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth taking matters to court over unpaid wages, /biz/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1470626020052.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1470626020052.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
Is it worth taking matters to court over unpaid wages, /biz/?

Best board i can think of asking on, need /law/

Had a messy separation with my last job at a small start-up. I found out they'd been underpaying me for 11 months and confronted my boss about it. He spent three weeks looking for a way to fire me before he just decided "you spoke back to me, you're out".

I offered to resign instead and he accepted, but now I've added it all up I'm owed 13k by them not including contributions to my super.

Do any of you have experience with small claims? Is it worth the trouble? Is it easy? I feel like 13k before tax is worth the trouble of making some court filings. Im in QLD Aus btw
>>
13k isn't small claims.

If you can finance an attorney, or find one who is money hungry, then it's worth it.
Be prepared for hell though.
>>
>>1459152
Go to the better business bureau, and report your old job. If they are skimping money out of you, then they are doing it to others as well. Stand up for yourself AND other people. I would also recommend talking to a lawyer and stating your case. You may have to search for a finance lawyer (or whatever they are called) in your area. If you have documentation that heavily supports your case, the lawyer will agree to help you for a small "fee". Stop talking to your previous company about it. You want them to know as little as possible until you blindly hit them with a shovel. Its not too hard to do if you have a good case in your favor. It just takes a while. I would recommend giving the lawyer a nice % cut of any wins you get, so he will be incentivized to fight harder for you. Otherwise, you will be sitting waiting for info for 6 months.
>>
>>1459167
this, except
>I would recommend giving the lawyer a nice % cut
is wrong. You have a case that's winnable by the vast majority of lawyers, find one with a reasonable price
>>
>>1459162
In Queensland small claims has a limit of $25,000, so It is here.

I don't expect he'll cooperate.

>>1459167
I've thought of taking it to the industrial court, but they'll likely shoot it down as an unpaid wages issue.

It's a company of four people, my claims are based off my remuneration in my contract being listed as "fixed" and when I talked to some lawyer friends of mine they said this means regardless of hours worked, I always earn the same. My boss had me submit hours from the first day I got there, he didn't pay for hours I couldn't complete (lunch breaks, etc) and wouldn't pay me overtime.

Because of this my tax bracket is screwed up, my superannuation contributions werent paid in full.

About 4k of the claim is from my last month of work I did, I resigned on the 30th the day before I quit. He's yet to pay that also.

I haven't spoken to them about it beyond a "friendly reminder email". But they haven't responded and have removed me from their contacts on various profiles.

I've got a copy of all my calculations and a history of my pay I kept. If they haven't paid by friday I'm considering just initiating the process myself with the first demand letter. After 21 days I can file it in my local court.

I feel like, and the recommendation from the government is, lawyers aren't necessary for this low level work unless the other party brings one with them to court.
>>
i sued this lady who ran into my car uninsured for 10k actual damages because if no one sues them they can get their license unsuspended. the court was a pain in the ass. havent seen a dime and she is probably still out driving illegally so it has been a waste of time and effort. i would rather just kill the person or destroy them and their families shit.
>>
>>1459152
Don't go to small claims. Go to your unemployment office. They have a form for unpaid wages and not responding can fuck the business bad. Also no legal costs.
>>
>>1459152

yes
>>
>>1459180
See
>>1459655
>>
>>1459152
>Is it worth taking matters to court over unpaid wages, /biz/?

YES
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.