[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in a bit of a rut here, /biz/. Neither of my parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: modernmale.jpg (215KB, 594x768px) Image search: [Google]
modernmale.jpg
215KB, 594x768px
I'm in a bit of a rut here, /biz/. Neither of my parents are comfortable with financially supporting or co-signing loans with me for university, so I came up with a short term plan to only attend university half-time while I work.
However recently I've been doubting the worth of investing so much time, money and resources into something I'm unsure of. I'm not certain of my field of choice, I'm not certain of where I want to be in life and I feel like I'm just winging it at this point.

So what I'm wondering is, is it a worthy investment? Or should I take time off to work and become more financially sound? Have any of you been in this position and if so, what did you do?
>>
>>1455545
>into something I'm unsure of

That's life. Nothing is guaranteed and everything is a little unsure and scary besides working at mcdonalds all day and living in your parents basement.

Yes college is absolutely worth the investment
>>
>>1455549

It's just not necessary like it was 50 years ago gramps.

I won't argue that it's not a worthy investment though assuming you have a modicum of direction.
>>
>>1455545
DON'T GO TO COLLEGE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO. CHECK THE CAREER STATS AND DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT PAYS LIKE SHIT.

t. english major that set me back 3 years.
>>
>>1455555
>It's just not necessary like it was 50 years ago gramps.

What? It was least necessary 50 years ago when you could sustain a family by working in a factory.

These days everyone has a degree, which is only increasing and is the bare minimum for most entry level jobs and progressing the ladder.

I really love how you guys say things like "Le boomers had everything go easy for them, they didn't even need degrees!", "Wtf all entry level jobs have so many requirements!", and "Everyone has a degree nowadays! they're meaningless!". Does that not suggest to you that you'll stand out VERY NEGATIVELY by not having one, especially in the oncoming years when virtually everyone has a degree?

It's quickly becoming the same as how a highschool degree is becoming the bare minimum to get anywhere in life.
>>
>>1455549
>>1455555
Well I know it's potentially a great investment to an extent, but as >>1455558 said, I feel it's too risky unless I'm certain and motivated on why I want to go to college.

It's like my plan is "go to college" without any real foresight or certainty put into it.
>>
>>1455564
>It's like my plan is "go to college" without any real foresight or certainty put into it.

That's not a bad thing if you pick a good major
>>
>>1455563

I think it's pretty stupid to not own your own business post 2000, which is a much more accessible prospect now.
>>
>>1455574
Most businesses fail or earn jack shit.

You also need to gain some knowledge by working in a field for somebody before you start most ventures. Some retard with no knowledge or skills can't just "start a business" and expect it to go anywhere than being a timesink that ultimately fails.
>>
>>1455579

If only there was some type of machine where you could find knowledge.

Really forces cognitive function.
>>
>>1455580
So... self-studying on the internet when someone has no real idea or direction of where they want to go? Yeah I'm sure that'll really make up for lack of professional experience or immersion in a field
>>
>>1455581

Your point was seemingly there's no way to gain knowledge outside of going to college, which is not true.

But now your argument seems to be that "education prepares people for the real world" which I would argue is equally untrue.
>>
>>1455545
Choose a career before you choose a college degree

Seems real obvious but no one really does it

Career might not NEED degree

Degree might not lead to a career

Degree could help, but cost/benefit analysis required i.e. business major to get into banking vs just starting as a teller and working your way up after 12 months
>>
>>1455585
>But now your argument seems to be that "education prepares people for the real world" which I would argue is equally untrue.

It does but more importantly it prepares you for working in that field, which DOES prepare you for the real world and teaches you about that area as well as providing you with startup funds for your future business if you so choose. That was my point.

it also gives you something to fall back on in case your genius business idea doesn't work out - as is often the case.
>>
>>1455596

Fair enough.
>>
>>1455545
Go to community college and then transfer to a university. This way you save a ton of money without needing loans. Apply for FAFSA. During this time use your tenure at a CC to build your credit enough to qualify for loans without needing your parents. Or try federal loans.
>>
>>1455602
Honestly no matter what you choose in life I don't think you can go wrong with getting a degree as long as it's not something retarded
>>
>>1455610

Yeah like I said I definitely wouldn't shit on the idea, education can't hurt unless it's some real meme tier shit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.