[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on asking my boss for a raise tomorrow morning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 54326.jpg (56KB, 592x792px) Image search: [Google]
54326.jpg
56KB, 592x792px
I'm planning on asking my boss for a raise tomorrow morning and wanted your opinions/thoughts.

Background is I'm a young college student who works part time at the nicest (and most profitable) hotel in town. I was initially hired almost one year ago as a Front Desk Agent, but moved to Night Audit six months later. I started at $10 and that hasn't changed despite not only learning more and taking on more responsibilities, but also working graveyard shift. I only work Fri and Sat, but those are by far the busiest nights here (we're in the heart of downtown). I constantly deal with drunks, sometimes hostile ones.

My boss and I usually chit chat in the morning before I take off. She's to the point, so I'm assuming this would be the best time as it's quiet and we don't see each other otherwise.

I'm thinking of saying "I'd like to talk about my salary." We've talked about how my one year with the company is coming up before. And if need be, I'll mention that I've proven myself to be reliable and have taken on a lot more responsibility than when I was initially hired. I know how to do two positions and move according to what's needed. I'm the only one here at night and have developed problem-solving skills because of it. E.g. I've picked up valet, cleaning the lobby and back office, and have even dealt with the police because a fight and subsequently cleaned blood off the elevator floor and walls. I've also covered for the full time night audit countless times because he's routinely under the weather.

I know no one else in the front desk staff has agreed to come in more than I have, and my boss often praises me for not having to repeat herself (she vents about new employees occasionally because we have a high turnover rate)

I'm sort of rambling here but I figured I'd give you all a clear picture of my situation.
>>
>>1454188
Apply to different jobs and then throw your boss the Classic Reverse Cowgirl.

>"I'd like to talk about my salary."
>"Sorry, but I cant give out raises because *Insert excuse here*
>"By the way, X company is offering me X."

If she just says yes to the initial raise you should be fine. If you cant get a raise because the company literally cant give you more money for some strange reason, bargain for something else, like work hours, holiday/vacation time, schedules, whatever. But if they cant give you a raise, go apply to other jobs.
>>
>>1454188
Back when I was an employee I'd just hand in my notice and then the boss would offer me a 50% raise to stay.

I don't know how it would've worked out if I accepted the offer since I never did. All I know is the surest way to get a raise offered is to quit.
>>
>>1454244
This is absurd advice. Don't listen to him.
>>
>>1454257
I'm not advising him to quit.

I'm just agreeing with the previous anon. If you're willing to quit all the leverage is on your side. At $10/hour a person should be quitting once a year anyways, just to keep the career fresh. It doesn't go much lower than that in most places.
>>
>>1454188
>cleaned blood off the elevator floor and walls
if it helps any I'm an environmental contractor and I charge $150/hour for that kind of work.

cleaning up crime scenes requires special training and certifications. (HAZWOPER 40 hour in the US for example). As well as some fairly expensive PPE.

you're saving them tons, don't be shy.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
Thanks everyone. Do I give a number or let them? If I do, what do I give? The median pay I'm seeing via Glassdoor is $11-13 but that's full time of course.

I'm thinking of asking for a 10% increase (or $1). But if that's my aim, should I ask for 15% or even 20% or is that laughable?
>>
>>1454296
I'd ask for $12.65.

it's an arbitrary and weird number, so it's harder to bargain from.
>>
>>1454297
>How did you come to that number, anon?
>>
>>1454301
yep.
the boss will think that's a weirdly specific number and wonder how you came up with it.

let her wonder.
>>
>>1454302
No, I'm roleplaying as the boss, asking you, the employee, how you came to that number cause I think that's what she'd ask.
>>
>>1454306
"Fuck your mother, that's how I came up with that number. Are you gonna pay me or not? dumb hole."
>>
>>1454306
yeah, I'm saying my answer would be a smile.

nothing more.
>>
If you are actually a good employee and not just bullshitting they will give you a raise. Just be confident and act like its no big deal and if they refuse tell them that somebody else offered you more.
>>
>>1454323
But you need to ask, correct? I've read studies that women make less because they don't ask as often as men.

Also I'm not doing this, despite that I'd love to make that much.
>>1454297
>>
>>1454328
Look, I've worked in x/hr jobs before in my life and yes you need to ask while being assertive. Every raise I received in a job like that was me asking after I showed that I was above the norm in whatever it was. If they value you enough then they will give you the raise.
>>
So the boss lady I'll be speaking to is the operations assistant and not the person who hired me. I'm thinking I need to speak to either the woman who hired me, whom I never see, or the general manager, who I also never see. Those three are the management team here.

Should I speak to the first woman? I'm leaning towards no. But then should I text/call the woman who hired me? She loves texting. Or would it make more sense to go straight to the GM with a phone call or text asking if he's got a few minutes?
>>
>>1454362
Women feel anxious and afraid when men approach them, and consider you a threat.

She will become offensive as a defense, and deny your raise.

You must be unthreatening to the fullest degree, make yourself look smaller, speak abit higher pitch, hold a hat in hand, looking more downwards with face, nervously figeting with your hat. It's the best option, but she will draw the conclusion that you are a betacuck and make up reasons why you not only deserve to NOT get the raise, but also why you should be given less money.

If you consider texting with the subject of a raise, then you are not a real man, you are a beta male.
>>
>>1454362

It's only a fucking dollar.

Talk to whoever has the authority to give you a fucking dollar raise. Just tell them that you've been there for a fucking year, even red lobster or mcdonalds gives people raises after that time.

It's likely someone just forgot you fucking existed because you don't mean two shits to anybody in charge.

Be humble, ask for a raise, if they decline protest a little bit and state that you've been there for a year. If they play hardball; quit. Find a job that pays eleven fucking dollars an hour literally anywhere else.

Holy shit you're retarded. Even retards get raises though, faggot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.