[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is best, /biz/? I am super interested in philosophy, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Columbia Econ Majors.png (45KB, 467x455px) Image search: [Google]
Columbia Econ Majors.png
45KB, 467x455px
Which is best, /biz/? I am super interested in philosophy, but my guess is that it's probably not the most pragmatic choice.
>>
>>1445940
Get a STEM degree. Too many business and econ majors out there.
>>
>>1445945
i'm going to columbia though so finding a job in the financial sector shouldn't be too hard
>>
I'm torn between Econ-Stats and Fin-Econ.

I doubled in History and Econ and it was pretty satisfying. Believe it or not, many business-minded students can't write for shit, especially when it's longer than one paragraph. A traditional liberal discipline like philosophy, literature, or history can add lots of flair to what would otherwise be prosaic clusterfucks of charts.
>>
>>1445955
has it hurt your career that you didn't also do anything STEM? the general feeling on this board seems to be that economics on its own is entirely useless
>>
>>1445940
My undergrad was in economics and political science. I found it helpful to have different perspectives on similar issues.

If a joint economics-philosophy programme were offered at my university, I would have chosen that instead. I loaded up on political philosophy courses to try to split the difference.

If you're interested in philosophy, I would recommend studying that. You might take flak from a lot of people, but I believe that you should study what you're interested in. You've only got one life--why waste it worrying about how other people will think of you?

At any rate, an economics-philosophy degree is perfectly marketable. Economics is a fairly business/work friendly degree, and, despite what STEM students might say, philosophy teaches clear and critical thinking. I'm not sure how it is in your university, but at mine, the philosophy programme had several mandatory logic courses, and you could really tell who was a philosophy student simply by their clarity of thought.

>>1445966
>the general feeling on this board seems to be that economics on its own is entirely useless
Anything on its own is entirely useless. Your degree will simply be a piece of paper. Employers don't care one whit for the paper--they want to know what you've learned and done in the process of attaining it. Can you apply the skills you've learned in your four years of undergrad to the workplace?
>>
>>1445955
>Believe it or not, many business-minded students can't write for shit, especially when it's longer than one paragraph

Can confirm. STEM students and business/economics students are among the worst writers I have ever seen. I would say many are worse than ESL people.
>>
>>1445966
>career

I'm 23. Not much of a career to speak of. I just work two part time jobs (45 hours a week, one is entry-level in a bank, the other is with a couple years of experience as an education technician in a community college). Economics is extremely useful, even just as an undergrad.

Lots of posters are lying about their prospects or they're imagining a bygone era when a college degree was a ticket to a proper employment track. I know STEM fuckers from University of California schools that have a hard time finding gainful employment, much less degree-related paths to careers. The glory of an econ degree is that you're one of the few majors that is actually studying the labor market.

There is no degree that will land you a comfortable life. You have to study what is both congenial and useful to you, something that you can use to increase your productivity and leverage your sales pitch in the marketplace. There are art majors that make 100k starting. There are engineering students that are surprised to learn that their skills are won by the lowest bidder, usually in Chindia.

Studying econ, you should learn some basic econometrics and certainly have a stronger grasp of mathematics than the average person. You should come to learn how to construct crude but effective models. Equations will begin to look like portraits.

History is fabulous because it allows you expand your thinking beyond whatever bullshit is the trend of the day. You'll go to many business discussions and see that people pretend that the world didn't exist before 1945—that money, credit, resources, crises can only be sampled back 70 years. I spent as much history time as possible studying the details of the industrial revolution and the gold standard (as operated by the Bank of England). You develop an insatiable thirst for more data and hone a sharp wit for evaluating sources.

Also, try to get scholarships/grants. FAFSA paid for all of my shit and then some.
>>
>>1445986
>>1445978
thanks anons
>>
>>1445940
choose with politics/philosophy, economics alone might get you a job, but you wont really under stand it without knowing how politicized economic theory is and how various political theories arose.

Also
>philosophy not being about 50% politics
What are you doing university?
>>
>>1445940

Of those choices, econ statistics, ie econometrics.

In the past, people studied business generally because theory was enough to justify management decisions. Now people want proof, so statistical analysis is a nice way of saying "I can explain to you with facts why this theory works". I'm a business-economics major and my degree is highly relevant and competitive. Statistics is somewhat similar to engineering in that you can perform the process of detailing a problem and creating a solution. Employers eat that shit up these days.

Ultimately, if your career goals involve executive management, you'll almost never use econometrics after a point because that will be someone else's job while you focus on the bigger picture, but it helps when you're first starting out. On an unrelated note, having a statistical background can help you in many other aspects of life, especially politics. You can really btfo people who cite shit studies and random numbers by critiquing methodology.
>>
>>1445940
I would either do math/stats/engineering/physics+economics/finance/
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.