[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw computer programmer but working minimum wage to live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: images.png (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8KB, 205x246px
>tfw computer programmer but working minimum wage to live

How do I get out of this hole, /biz/? I barely have any time to work on my portfolio because I work 50 hours a week and go to school.
>>
are you from the third world? coding usually pays well
>>
>>1443843
New Jersey
>>
>>1443854
why the hell are you working minimum wage in NJ? There are so many jobs dude. What part of the state are you in?
>>
>>1443868
Bergen county. I don't know, man. Everything I see is $10-$12/hr or 5+ years experience needed.
>>
what languages?
>>
>>1443881
C++, PHP, and Python are my main languages. Currently learning Ruby to see if I can get a RoR gig but my progress has been extremely slow
>>
>>1443877
I've lived in Passaic and Union counties most of my life. In school I always worked as a waiter, solid $15-20/hr. Even as a delivery driver you can make money. Work landscaping, painting, anything. There are so many opportunities in this state, you really have no excuse to be working for peanuts. You can do much better.
>>
>>1443877
>or 5+ years experience needed.
That's HR asking, not management. Apply to 10 decent salary jobs every day, 20 on sundays, that even remotely apply to your background.
>>
>>1443886
Dont waste your time with Ruby. Use your fucking brain. Go to Stack Overflow, look for trends, learn that shit, profit.

Protip: ECS6, React, Node.js (optional but good), microservices and Docker
>>
>>1443834
You seem to be in a totally acceptable position, OP.

You're working 50hrs, you're also continuing your education - it'll get better when you no longer need to put so much time into your education, you might also cut back your work to 30-40hrs per week and use the spare time to work on the portfolio or whatever...

You sound like you're worried about not having a graduate-level job when you're not yet a graduate
>>
>>1443854
So yes
>>
Waah I almost have a degree and life is hard
Why
>>
File: 1466018314292.jpg (55KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1466018314292.jpg
55KB, 800x800px
>>1443854
Literally how are you fucking this up, my melanin enriched friend?

>>1444982
This faggot knows what's good.

OP, I'm in NJ too. I have an office in Philly. There's literally no reason why you should be fucking up.
>>
>>1443834
>>1445080
Also, meant to mention that I'm a programming as well.
>>
the indians took all of the coding jobs, find a job indians can't do better then you
>>
>>1444982
B-but I thought RoR jobs are all the rage in NYC (I live close to midtown). Thanks for the tip though, I will give this a try. I already bought books and read more than a hundred pages, so I feel like I should see Ruby through at least.

>>1445080
I don't know, man. My current portfolio is shit. But on a related note, I managed to land an IT internship today after a month or so of interviews and waiting. Not programming but better than customer service.
>>
>>1443886
use that C++ knowledge to contribute to semi-large FOSS projects and write that in your resume.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.