[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it okay to treat yourself now and again? I have lived frugally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Keogh.jpg (15KB, 551x332px) Image search: [Google]
Keogh.jpg
15KB, 551x332px
Is it okay to treat yourself now and again?
I have lived frugally fr the last year. I have saved up an £18,000 house dposit and this month brough home £3000 after tax for ovetime etc.

I feel like I want to splash out on something and have priced up a gaming PC. I feel its important to now and again treat yourself to feel like a reward, but for some reason I feel guilty about doing so.

What do you guys think? Do it or don't?
>>
>>1429712
You're guilty feeling because it's a purchase that just enables you to sit at a computer and play video games. You may play with IRL friends or not but the concept is the same. There's is also the fact that it'll depreciate or is a rather bad monetary investment. I keep wanting to upgrade my computer too but I realize it'd be spent better elsewhere maybe in the near future on other items or emergencies.

If the funzies outweigh that though fug it :D.
>>
>>1429712
>Is it okay to treat yourself now and again?
Yes

>I feel guilty about doing so
I know that feel. For me the more I have the more guilty I feel. It's like an illness. Side effect is I never worry about money so it has it's benefits.
>>
>>1429712
>this month brough home £3000 after tax
what do you do?
>>
>>1429754
This

>>1429712
OP buy your PC but don't upgrade it. That's were things go wrong and you spend too much.
>>
>>1429712
You're saving money to better yourself, so that you may have a more enjoyable life. If buying a computer will make you happy then it might be worth the cost even though it will depreciate in value, because the value is not monetary but in the happiness you think it will bring you.

Do consider that as >>1429754 has said it may enable you to be lazy (although your commitment to saving suggests that you have good self control), and that gaming can become more of a joyless habit than an enjoyable hobby.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy while looking after your future.
>>
>>1429712
Treating yourself, if that's what you want to call it, is actually an important part of how most people build their wealth.

If you have $100mm and you live like you have $1mm, what is the difference you got by going so much higher? Why did you even try to get to $100mm?

Wealth is (usually) not the end game for most wealthy people. They have a thought, an idea, of what they want to do with their wealth.

Using your wealth on your way to your goal is natural and provides motivation to keep going. It's a milestone, a marker, that tells you about where you are, where you were, and where you are going.

So yes, "treat" yourself, just don't do it to often. Personally, I dont call them treats,
They are simply a reflection of the wealth I have.

You will find that your "treats" get more expensive as you move into other tiers of net worth, just always remember that at one point in time you spent time considering buying a computer as a treat at one point. Reflect on that when you are dropping $80k on a car or $300k on a boat or $2mm on a house, and reflect on how far you have come when you are making those purchases. Those reflections will push you even further.
>>
>>1429712
>gaming PC

You could make a compromise and buy a relatively cheap computer and a middle-high end graphics card. Just make sure the rest of the computer becomes a bottle neck for the graphics card. Buying an i3 instead of an i7, have a smaller SSD and use a hard drive for storage, buy a mainboard without unecessesary features etc.

I like to live frugally, but I've used a lot of money on computers since I use them all the time. But I always try to make the most out of my money, even if it's more on the high end.
>>
>>1429712

>gaming pc

there's your problem.

how about you treat yourself with better food, a night out, or some sort of event or activity you don't normally partake in because of the price? a concert, a stand up comedian, a helicopter ride, something like that.

If you buy a gaming pc, you will spend money on something that will eat up your free time and make you lethargic. video games are for children.
>>
>>1429712
Would you rather have that $2000 gaming PC now or $20,000 in 30 years?
>>
>>1430423
I'll be dead in 30 years... so now.
>>
>>1429712
No point in living if you don't choose to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

Think it through: will you be able to eat, live in your home, and have enough left over in case of a minor emergency? Then buy that PC, yo! Just make sure the value is sensible and worth it.
>>
>>1429712
my gaming pc was an excellent investment, my motherboard has increased in value, my 3770k increased in value, the other parts stayed the same except for the gpu, which over the course of 5 years has cost me 180 for the gtx 660 which i sold for 100 dollars last year and bought a gtx 970 for $200.

IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
IT CAN BE A GOOD INVESTMENT
IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
DO NOT BOTHER
its like an antique muscle car, if you don't know any fucking thing about antique cars and working on cars and shit you don't fucking buy one because it can be a money pit. my computer will probably be adequate for a very long time.
>>
>>1430402
do not listen to this retard
>>1430417
gaming pc has the benefit of saving you money by being a cheap source of many forms of entertainment.
>>1430423
read up on opportunity cost
>>1429712
op as an ambassador from /g/ i am going to give you some solid advice. you can build your own pc if you do some basic research. go to
www.logicalincrements.com
look at the price ranges
pick parts that have good reviews
don't cheap out on your motherboard, get a good enthusiast motherboard and a good cpu for your price range.
most expensive cooling solutions are a meme.
spend your money on a good gpu, don't buy two gpu for sli or crossfire its not worth it.
always better to have a single good gpu. ALWAYS. do not question me here.
an SSD is worth it for your boot drive. you can get a 240gb ssd for so cheap now. i use a fucking 120 for my boot drive and raid arrays for other shit.
follow the price guide brackets on logicalincrements. if you have 2000 dollars, you probably want to stick to the 2000 dollar build.
keep in mind you will be buying a monitor as well. most monitors are absolute shit. try before you buy. go into fucking frys or best buy or whatever you have and look at the monitor before you buy it. 120hz/144hz is a meme unless you play cs go. 4k is still a meme performance wise. 2560x1440p is playable now with a high end card.
buy a nice mouse and keyboard and monitor, you cheap out on your peripherals and you will be uncomfortable and miserable.
LOGICALINCREMENTS
watch a youtube video or two on building a pc its easy as fuck if you follow the rules.
if you build a tiny mini itx pc you will not regret it, they are not a meme. just don't build one in a flat case with pci extender.
>>
funny, i'm currently getting rid of my gaming computer because video games stole my entire youth
>>
>>1430647
Shitposting on 4chan is free and only requires a modest investment into hardware. With gaming, not only do you have to pay for the games and a large initial investment into a powerful machine, but you will have to upgrade over time to keep up with newer releases.
>>
Don't waste your time on games anon.
>>
>>1430671

This
>>
>>1430658
>pay for the games
>implying implications
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.