[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's the self-publish book game? Say I write a decent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: book3.jpg (24KB, 424x282px) Image search: [Google]
book3.jpg
24KB, 424x282px
How's the self-publish book game?

Say I write a decent young-adult novel every few months, can I make a decent living off this with self-publish options online?
>>
>>1429210
Try /lit/ as I'm sure someone there has an idea of how that marketplace is doing.
>>
>>1429210
You're going to be barely scraping by unless you make something popular enough to be made into a movie. Books are so cheap now and the joke that people don't read books anymore is true enough that it will kill any hope of making more than the equivalent of minimum wage. Back in the 50s it wasn't a viable career choice and that's even more true today.

>>1429609
He wasn't asking a question about writing, he was asking about monetizing authorship. This is more of a /biz/ question than a /lit/ question.
>>
>>1429210
A decent novel every few months
>Good writing
>Fast writing
Pick one
>>
>>1429210
You can become a millionaire with self publishing. All you need is the knowledge to identify profitable niches, create product cost effectively, and market your books for maximum sales. There are tons of people who've made bank in the self publishing world, and a lot of them will give your their knowledge for a small fee. It's worth the money.

That said, you're unlikely to make much by publishing 2-3 books a year. Try 2-3 books a month for starters.
>>
>>1429210
You have to be able to write something like in the same vein as Blake Crouch to make any money. Something that people will want to read and see made into a tv show or a movie. Dark Matter was a great read btw.
>>
>>1429210
Yes anon, it can be done. I am selling some author services, and there are people there that make a decent income. But remember, unless you strike it lucky, you better be good. If you aren't good, then you better churn them out quickly.
>>
Luck has nothing to do with it. There are concrete, testable ways to measure the profitability of certain niches. Learning these metrics is 50% of the battle
>>
Flooded as fuck, it went from an average of 25,000 per book to 5500 per book because of the flood of low quality publications cranked out onto the market.

That said, if you can actually write quality shit you can do fine.
>>
File: booksales.jpg (78KB, 1653x386px) Image search: [Google]
booksales.jpg
78KB, 1653x386px
I tried it. Made 4 very short ebooks (3000 - 5000 word) which are basic introductions to certain computing technology. Basically just used my old coursework from uni to write about cloud computing, network UTMs.

Got a few sales, hardly makes anything though.
>>
>>1429210
>young-adult novel
>decent
pick one
>>
>>1429962
sweet!
>>
>>1429210
If you want the honest answer:

The average createspace novel sell on the order of 5-20 after 2 years on the market .
>>
Quality work? Absolutely...

Look at the girl who wrote Still Alice, self-published and now a millionaire off one title.

If I was going to try this I would aim for a big hit first instead of trying to publish a "decent" book every 3 months.

Write good charecters involved in a good story, and the rest will take care of itself... easier said than done I know.
>>
>>1429796
clockwork orange was written in 3 weeks
>>
File: 1450233476900.jpg (50KB, 397x416px) Image search: [Google]
1450233476900.jpg
50KB, 397x416px
>>1429210
>How's the self-publish book game?

yes, 99% make pennies, even if they claim to make money. hell, sone of the best sellers say it's not profitable. also 99% of all books whether it's self published or not are ridiculously badly written bullshit
>>
File: Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>>1430314
well you can say the same for Rowling. Look she is a megadepatrillionaire now, how good idea is this
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.