[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /biz/. I would like to have a discussion. Here is some background

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1470055227268.jpg (149KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470055227268.jpg
149KB, 1080x1080px
Hi /biz/.

I would like to have a discussion. Here is some background on me. 23, and I work at one of the biggest brokerage firms on a small production team. I worked my ass off to get here. I graduated from a small business school that is unknown and moved. I live and work in the financial district in downtown NYC.

Now. By year-end 2016, I should have ~30K in liquid assets and $4.5K in a 401K (have been putting 7% (max match)). Currently, I have roughly $15K in a vanguard fund that is doing sub-par.

I was going to keep $20K in a S&P ETF and keep $10K in the fund I already have open. My $4.5K is saved in a company account that is pretty balanced (since company stock has risen in Q2). The only other "investment" i was going to make is to grow a bunch of mushrooms in my new apartment (should profit ~$2K by year-end) (haven't started yet).

If you had $30K, how would you invest it? Also, if you were in my position, would you put more into your 401K?

Should I try to invest in something other than stocks?

Also, $55K salary and I make $80K with OT (not including expenses, free schooling, etc). I hopefully will be increasing this to 6 figures in the next few years. I work 50 hours a week and am taking classes. In 5 years, would the investment profile you have chosen change with more incoming cash? If so, how?

Thanks /biz/, looking forward to an interesting discussion. Also, AMA if you want.
>>
>>1427932
make those3 chicks fuck and record it. Then we'll help u
>>
>>1427932
30k? Could be enough for a down payment on rental property depending on your location
>>
>>1427947
can't.

>>1427958
i'm from Michigan but moved to NYC. it's like the cheapest vs the expensive. but i don't think i will have time to market and rent out the area because i'm so busy. never thought about it tho...
>>
>>1427963
Whenever there's no time to do something, there's always someone willing to do it for you for a small fee. Consider that.
>>
Why are you so poor?
>>
>>1427966

I don't think the ROI will be too good if I hire someone...

>>1427977

am I? i come from nothing and my parents gave me nothing. i like to think i made it. i'm from detroit. and i live in manhattan now.
>>
Being rich its so AWESOME :D
>>
Obvious answers for a guaranteed uprise and a change to get rich before you are a grandpa is Bitcoin.

Other than that... the stock market is dogshit. My Netflix has been doing fine, other than that it's just boring.
>>
>>1427932
you work at a brokerage firm in NYC and are asking /biz/ for investment advice.
wtf
>>
>>1427989
>i'm from detroit. and i live in manhattan now.

What's that shit hole like these days? Also, what's Detroit like now?

t. left Manhattan last November, no regrets, such a shit hole
>>
>buying into an index fund at the top of the market

looks like you sure did earn that finance job, fucko
>>
>>1428341
>thinking you know when it is the top of the market
>>
>>1428341
>Thinking you know when market is top
>>
File: 1469677502785.jpg (4KB, 250x219px) Image search: [Google]
1469677502785.jpg
4KB, 250x219px
>>1428481
>>1428485
>doubleposting
>>
>>1428313
>>1428592
lolololol
>>
>>1428113
>>
>>1428113
he's first year in most likely, so he doesn't know shit. In finance you learn from experience, not really from your degree.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.