[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>boss/group leader at work had an accident last week and will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: exhausted.jpg (55KB, 625x353px) Image search: [Google]
exhausted.jpg
55KB, 625x353px
>boss/group leader at work had an accident last week and will be out of commission at least until mid-September
>this left me as the most senior group member
>had a meeting with my boss' immediate superior who basically asked if I'm up for taking over for my boss for the duration
>I said "sure thing"
>now basically doing both my and my superior's jobs in the same time for the same pay

Fuck's sake guys I'm doing okay for now but I wonder if I can keep this up.

First time I'm genuinely exhausted after a week's work. Hopefully someone appreciates this.
>>
>>1426985
Why didn't you answer the question with "yes I will assume that role and those responsibilities, who should I assign my current responsibilities to?"
>>
>>1427061
I am a vain man and was dead chuffed that my boss' boss thought I was up to the job.

We're still waiting to get some input on all this from my group leader since he's still been having serious surgery this week and was swimming in morphine.
>>
>>1427070
I think you did the right thing anyway. Always good to take on more responsibility just to show you can. If you do well, you'll be remembered. Try to establish a rapport with your boss's boss
>>
>>1427075
unless the guy comes back after surgery and immediately finds a reason to fire you for making his job look way too easy as you did it on the side of your real job... that is way more likely than him not coming back and you getting a promotion.
>>
>>1427061
Jesus! I'm in senior management. Don't tell people the question to ask when we're trying to save fucking money! Goddamnit! This fucking /biz/ gives away too many secrets.
>>
>>1427075
Yeah if nothing else I now have many more opportunities to interact with higher-ups. On the other hand this is some of the most time consuming things; I think I spent ten hours in meetings this week, mostly as a stand-in for my boss.

>>1427080
I am on very good terms with my boss so that is pretty unlikely.

>>1427090
wew
>>
I'm sure everyone would like to know how you arranged the unfortunate accident that befell your esteemed supervisor
>>
>>1426985
Tell your boss it is impossible for you to handle his and your responsibilities simultaneously. Tell him your old responsibilities need to be handled by someone else.
>>
>>1427115
>I am on very good terms with my boss so that is pretty unlikely.
your boss might be playing
"keep your friends close but your enemies closer"
>>
>>1426985
Delegate your work as needed. Not all of it, but at least some of it.

You're now in management. You're superiors expect you to handle your department on your own. Do *not* involve your current boss unless you absolutely have to. It's *your* job to make everything run in your group.

They appreciate the results, not the work you do. If you can produce the same results with less effort - that's your gain! Delegate workload for your sake. If anything, it shows even more mangement quality, rather than toiling way on a double job like a complete idiot.

You're the boss of your small realm now. Start thinking like a boss.
>>
Do a better job than your boss and replace him.
>>
>>1427788
/thread.
>>
>>1426985
Are you by any chance an American?
>>
Involve your underlings with what can be trusted of them.

Bill can do returns, Tina can check order status, Fred can be trusted to take calls from clients, etc.

If you and your boss were the only people who could be trusted with real work, then God bless ye.

But if you have a functional group then other people can and should be trusted to do more.
>>
>>1427294
It's not impossible, just hard. And complaining after I accepted the responsibility seems like a crap thing to do.

>>1427783
>>1428031
We'll see.

>>1427788
>>1428189
See this here is a huge part of the problem, I was already doing all the work in the group that the rest that the others couldn't be trusted with. There's eight of us and I do 50% of the work, 90% of the *important* work. There used to be another competent person until June but he left. The rest aren't really THAT bad, they're just inexperienced.

Also it's not like I got all that much *proper* work to do from my boss. But I have to spend loads of times of meetings on his behalf which leaves much less time for my other work.
>>
>>1428175
I'm British.
>>
>>1428203
Then suck it up and power through. Demand raise and promotion.
>>
>>1428203
So your efficiency will translate into doing a normal amount of work in the limited time you have, rather than a large amount of work in a normal shift.

This is when the inexperienced get experience. You know who is on the cusp of competency. Delegate more responsibilities to them. Yes, they will do poorly for a few days. Yes, they will constantly ask you how to do this or that. Yes, it will feel like you somehow gave yourself MORE work. But by empowering other individuals, you give them the confidence to go on and help others who are struggling. It's a domino effect.
>>
>>1426985
Get over it you worthless faggot
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.