[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey biz, I need a cheap laptop for office and looking at charts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1470186976976.jpg (30KB, 552x631px) Image search: [Google]
1470186976976.jpg
30KB, 552x631px
Hey biz,

I need a cheap laptop for office and looking at charts on Polo/Tradingview. Any ideas?
>>
>>1422396

I don't recommend amd and I'll shill Intel all day. I've had both and prefer Intel anyday, as I hate replacing hardware every 2 or so years.

With a laptop, don't go with i5. You either go with i3 or i7. An i3 will last you a good 4 or so years, while an i7 will last 6 or 7 years. You'll want 6 GB - 8 GB of memory with expansion of 16 GB or 4 GB and expansion to 8 GB - expect to expand in 1 year though. You can go with a dedicated GPU, as it takes a lot of relief off your CPU and improves your speed - though it's not nessasarry really.

Reason I wouldn't recommend a netbook or Chromebook is that you will replace it in a year or 2 guaranteed, as life changes and your needs will change. Last thing you want s having to repeat this shitty process again.

Go to Amazon for your laptop needs or Newegg, whichever is cheaper really. Best buy and Walmart you stay away from, unless you want to look n' shop Amazon or online.

Your budget for a good grade laptop is $500 - $800/$700. You will want to spend this, as that will get you quality senpai. Spend lower, you'll get shilled n' cry when it catches on fire.

But all in all, for office n' charts or w/e an i3 shall do you justice if you're on a budget. If you like to think long-term, go with i7. I say stay away from i5, cause it's just like an i3 with two more software based cores that give you like 10% more power, while i7 will give you 4 physical cores or 4 physical and 4 software depending on the class of i7.

Good luck.
>>
>>1422520

Oh and for brands:

HP = Dell - brand name, customer support, warranties, and build quality is meh - only get if you're a grandma that needs help opening ie really
Lenovo = quality build - ideal for biz
Acer = will get you by - great for budget - college status
Asus = God tier - you get what you pay for - quality - used mostly for gaming n' relatable shet
>>
>>1422520
>>1422525
Best buy employee spotted
>>
>>1422538
>best buy and walmart you stay away from

nigger what?
>>
>>1422396
thinkpad t420

I bought one for $220 and it's been serving me very well.

Great build quality, good specs, user-servicable, nice keyboard. Great lappy, buy it.
>>
>>1422396
I'm about to buy this as a cheap take anywhere/everywhere laptop.
http://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_356746.html
>14-inch anti-glare 1920 x 1200 matte screen, quad-core Atom X5 Z8300, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of eMMC storage, Windows 10 Home and a rather large 10,800 mAh battery.

http://techtablets.com/jumper-ezbook-2/jumper-ezbook-2-review/
This guy has a solid review on it and he's a really good resource for info on chinese tablets. He's got a few updates on this unit and I think more will come.

http://techtablets.com/jumper-ezbook-2/forum/
Forum here where they've established that running linux on it is a real pain in the dick atm so avoid it unless you're happy with windows 10.

Wondering if anyone knows. Can an Atom X5 Z8300 decode x265 video comfortably?
>>
>>1422574
$168 shipped btw
>>
>>1422520
hi, cody

>>1422396
if you want a business laptop, seriously consider getting a thinkpad. it might be a /g/ meme but they're more dependable than most other models. don't buy it new, get it refurbished. refurb thinkpads are literally 50-85% off. one of the newer thinkpad models is a shit though, I forget which one, check on the /g/ thinkpad general. it won't be great for multimedia stuff or games, but if you get a cheap thinkpad for $325 you're getting a machine that is well-suited to business purposes and doesn't have the problems associated with "home," "gaming," and "multimedia" laptops.

otherwise, do not get an HP laptop. they overheat, rattle, and wear out. you will regret purchasing an HP if you live somewhere warm. acers will do you, but they're not terribly sturdy machines and tend to wear out (ports especially), though at least since they tend not to overheat as much they're generally a better purchase than HP. sony and samsung laptops are nice, but they're fragile, with samsung tending to be a bit more robust. toshiba laptops are really nice, but they're configured somewhat strangely and they tend to be expensive.

more powerful laptops than a decent i3 at a minimal gpu are overkill for business. bestbuy up there is right that you probably want a minimal gpu, but it isn't essential for business purposes unless you're doing skype calls.

there are other brands too, but generally it's a "you get what you pay for" situation. you could get adventurous get a chinese branded clone from xiaomi or wherever, but that's your dollar you're gambling with, not mine. it's a bit hit-and-miss with this sort of thing. at a minimum you can sometimes get these machines for dirt cheap off aliexpress.

last note: if you're into gnu/linux, avoid anything with an "optimus" nvidia graphics card. those things can be hell to configure on a *nix system. just don't go there.
>>
>>1422520
>shills for i3 and i7 but ignores i5, despite some i5 having better benchmarks than i7.
>talking about cores like multi-threading is all the OP wants to do
But Amazon is the way to go though. But your price is way off. A refurb chinkpad T520 will last the OP 4 years at $300

>Lenovo
This!

>>1422566
>t420
This!

>>1422574
>Atom
No!

>>1422599
>Thinkpad
You heard it again. If you want cheap and sturdy, go chinkpad all the way.
>>
>>1422396

I just bought a Thinkpad for cheap, they were probably selling them cheap because they had windows 8. I upgraded to windows 10 for free and it works fine.
>>
Buy a used elitebook for 190 on ebay. I5, 4 to 6 ram, 500 gb hdd.
>>
>>1423161
You need to upgrade to Gentoo
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.