[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do u use trailing stops per default? and how u would set a trailing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: TrailingStopGraphic.png (34KB, 575x352px) Image search: [Google]
TrailingStopGraphic.png
34KB, 575x352px
do u use trailing stops per default? and how u would set a trailing stop for a blue chip? 5%, 10%
>>
>>1419193
Never use a stop loss. just dont.
>>
>>1419220
pls explain!
>>
>>1419193
You use something called Chandelier stop, automatically trails your stop as a fixed percentage of the ATR.
If you want to use a hard take profit, you can target monthly/weekly high/low.
>>
File: buffet-and-bogle.jpg (202KB, 1320x742px) Image search: [Google]
buffet-and-bogle.jpg
202KB, 1320x742px
>>1419193

Buy and hold forever. No need for stop loss.
>>
>>1419223
Instead of stop loss, you have to buy. The lower it goes, the more you buy.
>>
>>1419326
thats rediculous. this can only work if u have an unlimited amount of time and money. like a gambler who cant stop
>>
>>1419286
thx
>>
>>1419326
what the hell are you talking about? You set a dollar or % threshold on a security you own, and it adjusts up with price, but not down. I use them on something I want limited exposure to and don't mind if it sells.

Only issue I have is that (at least with Scottrade) they expire after a couple months, so you have to reapply. I have also heard that if the stock gaps overnight it might not be triggered, but no idea if that is the case anymore.
>>
>>1419193
Don't use stops, just watch your positions and have some sell discipline if you're down 10 or 20% or whatever losses you're willing to accept if the market moves against you. The problem with stop losses is even though you might set it at 15% it will execute at whatever price the market is at. I learned my lesson the hard way last August during the flash crash. Had some stops and the market tanked on opening so the stop losses executed at damn near the bottom and then the whole thing rebounds like nothing happened. Too bad for me I was out. Never going to use stop losses again.
>>
>>1419430
and now imagine the shit went worse, going down 30%. u just had bad luck
>>
>>1419193
"Im going to use a very small window stop loss"

"Hmm, I wonder why every other day I have to rebuy in."
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.