[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Going to buy a large plot of land around a house >Have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: truffle.jpg (57KB, 534x356px) Image search: [Google]
truffle.jpg
57KB, 534x356px
>Going to buy a large plot of land around a house
>Have a ton of oak trees around it
>Use them to cultivate truffles
>Black truffles: $3,000 per pound
>White truffles: $6,000 per pound
>Timetable: 6 years until it's producing an output

Worthwhile investment? My ex's family does this, and they make a good bit of money from it.
>>
>>1413616
>My ex's family does this

How? These are notoriously difficult to cultivate. You sure they don't just have property with truffles growing on it?
>>
>>1413616
a friend of mine looked into doing this with some of his 200 acre farm, but it's just not really easy to do. there's a reason people aren't doing it left and right.
certainly possible though so you could probably make it happen, but be prepared to fail a lot for the first 5-10 years.
>>
>>1413619

It takes about six years for them to come in, and it's hard as fuck. But yes.

>>1413624

Yeah, it may never pan out, but it's profitable if it works.
>>
>>1413616
Usually you inoculate the trees before planting them, Anon.
>>
>>1413616
My father is currently doing this and it's been 7 years and not expecting output for a little while yet. I'd say it's worthwhile if the soil is right and you don't need the money (immediately) you're about to sink into it.
Just keep in mind that yield isn't guaranteed. as in, trees might not produce truffles. and training animals can be tedious.

Go for it, But it's not easy one bit.
>>
>>1413616
Which countries actually buy truffles for anything over 300$ a pound?
What requirements would the truffle need in order to go in the thousands?
>>
>>1413616

Beware of theives as well, truffles attract them a lot. Get yourself some dogs/weapons
>>
>>1413616
I know a guy who bought a large campground in a rural area for around $120,000. He turned around and had a lumber company do select cutting on most of the older hardwoods on the land. He had about $80,000 worth of wood. Just saying...
>>
>>1413694

Yep. My understanding is that I'll have to go in and plant.

>>1413785

It's not something that I immediately need.

>>1413798

Anything that isn't Chinese truffles.

>>1413837

Yeah, my ex told me a story about how her mom chased thieves off of their property with her and her younger sister in the car with her when she spotted them one day.

>>1413946

I'd rather not run a lumber farm. My cousin is a logger and it's not a business I want to be in.
>>
>>1414174
Do you have to ship those off to some truffles market? I know the mushroom hunters in NA have to hustle pretty hard to get the fungi to the high end restaurants who buy them. I would research the market first, it ain't gold, it's overpriced food - and fungi too.
>>
>>1414174
on the lumber its my understanding that the trees have a lifespan as well. something like 30-50 year average. you're gonna have the loggers go in at least that often to clear some trees.
But you're gonna want to keep your highest 10-20% producers. you are tracking which trees produce what right.
>>
>>1414711

They liquidate quickly. Might have to export them though.

>>1414753

That'd be the end goal. As to the trees, it all depends on the life cycle. If I've got producers going for 30-50 years though I'm already golden.
>>
>>1414174
>Yeah, my ex told me a story about how her mom chased thieves off of their property with her and her younger sister in the car with her when she spotted them one day.
a theft that could have been turned to rape
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.