[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know that asking on 4chan probably isn't the best start,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I know that asking on 4chan probably isn't the best start, but are there any valuable communities out there that bring together people to talk about workplace issues, career growth, and the like, especially for people in large organizations?

I've got a few things I want advice on, like hiring, what's appropriate in the grand scheme of things when B2B money is being moved (like partying together), and work-life balance or pay rate kind of stuff.

Is /biz/ a good place for it?
>>
>>1412160
yes there are a lot of online communities devoted to talking about all these things.

/biz/ is an ok place for it as long as you know how to weed out bullshit.

what field are you in because usually the communities are field specific?
>>
>>1412172

Digital Marketing. I'm not really looking for best practice advice in terms of what to do in my job (I have conferences, research, etc. to help with that), but more generalized career advice from those who have experienced successes or failures on large scales.

Most of my friends and family haven't spent time in the corporate world, so anyone I can go to for advice is generally someone I'm asking advice about.
>>
>>1412177
Here's some great career advice: General questions result in general answers that can be vaguely applied to certain situations (it's often unclear which situations) to produce generic results. Specific questions give specific answers that are readily applied to specific problems to yield specific results. So ask specific questions.

One more question, what stage of your career are you in?

Are you a medium/high up digital marketing guy or low/entry level
>>
>>1412187

Medium/High. Depending on your scale, of course. I'm not an SVP or anything, but I'm in a pretty solidly distinguished spot.

Is /biz/ generally on point with this kind of stuff?

An example of a specific question is - how transparent should I be with my boss? She's a very open person in general, we drink a lot together during vendor meetings/dinners, and I've been taught in my career to tighten up and be very walled in. She's not at all, which is more like my real personality. The more I let things slip, the closer our bond, but the bigger the potential fall, since we're in situations that are frequently CLEAR HR violations.
>>
>>1412191
Are you trying to tell us your fucking your boss and so you came to /biz/ for advice?
If so, you're ridiculous and i wouldn't shit where i eat, but make your own decisions
>>
>>1412193

No, not at all - just stuff like drinking together at inappropriate times, she's a little touchy feely, whatever.

I guess a more appropriate question to ask specifically, is when I'm hiring someone under me to manage a team, do I want them to be like me, or different, so our talents complement each other?
>>
>>1412191
/biz/ is generally not on point with this kind of stuff; however, your example question has an extremely easy answer. so easy even /biz/ can answer it.

Open up when
-It can not definitely hurt your career in any way
-You can not think of a way the information could possibly be used to hurt your career or compromise your goals in the future.
-You believe it will help your career

Yes it is that simple. If you aren't already examining every interaction like this, you most likely don't have the mindset to be a high level/executive. You're not at work to make friends/bang hole. You're their to make bank.

>this is the guide to being a high level/executive in the corporate world
>if you don't care about being high level then be yourself

>>1412196
Hire whoever can make your job easier, and make you look good. Essentially the perfect fit would be someone who is great at the job, but has no aspirations to outshine you and is fine with letting you take credit.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.