[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good physical items you can buy which will probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

What are some good physical items you can buy which will probably increase in value over time, as an alternative to stocks and shares?
>>
>answer your own question with your picture
??
>>
Rolex is a stable investment IF you get it well below retail, the second hand market regarding rolex has high resell, but stagnates after the initial depreciation. You are much better buying gold than using Swiss watches as ' investments' . Many other brands like Cartier and IWC have a yearly increase in RRP, allowing the perceived value of paper to rise, but resell value is FAR lower. So only if you are getting a great deal on price, holding on to the watch for a couple of years and selling it, is at a hgiher risk/ reward than the other methods you had mentioned.
>>
>>1410698
Analog synthesizers.
>>
>>1410712
only because rolex is the obvious answer, and as this guy says >>1410718 even that isn't clear cut.
>>
Classic models from either mid level luxury watchmakers ( rolex, tag, omaga)

Classics and rarities from highest tier of watchmakers. (Patek, vacheron, lange&s)

Luxury classic cars

Rare ww2 era fighter planes (liquidity so close to zero, so niche, rare and dependent on taking care of it that its one of the objects you can buy that is the least correlated to other markets)

Rare books 1rst prints signed by author of classic books. Fairly easy to authentify, liquid compared to other alternative investments and niche asset classes, there is an 'institutional' network of rare book buyers and antiques shops that will always buy something signed by highbrow authors like heminghway or emerson.

Art of course but will plummet alongside the stock market. Paintings and sculptures. High entry barrier as far as knowlexge goes.

Rare or antique instruments.

Rare metals and physical currency collections.

Unusual real estate. I mean REALLY unusual. Frank loyd wright houses and such. The house in which X was born. Historical houses and so forth.

Space memorabilia, rare maps, collector aute couture dress worn by X, some very rare other luxury designer items (birkin bag)

Geek collections. Magic cards, chinpokomon cards, rare computers,

Rare guns/weaponry. Guns being most and foremost affected by the electoral calendar..

And yes those markets are dominated by very high NW and up.
>>
>>1410823
>Art of course but will plummet alongside the stock market. Paintings and sculptures. High entry barrier as far as knowlexge goes.
There is a professor at UT-Arlington who has purchased art like some people buy cars: he gets a bank to finance it.

He's worth millions today and his collection is quite well known. Still teaches at UTA.
>>
>>1410823
I'm just glad you said chinpokomon.
>>
guns and ammo
>>
>>1410823
Even regular real estate can do this, doesn't need to be unusual
>>
Please explain how a Rolex goes up in value
>>
>>1410720
this
>>
>>1410720
Only if you can maintain them yourself. If not, they will depreciate considerably.

Also, the ones worth serious money are usually fuckhuge and have a shallow market. Good luck selling your Arp 2600 in an emergency. It's only feasible if you live in a musical place with constant demand for those products like Hollywood or Manhattan.

>t. moogfag
>>
>>1410976
ammo has an expiration date you fucktard. OP asked for items which will increase in value over time.
>OVER TIME!!!
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Single malt scotches with age statements are also set to rise in the next decade or so. Buy anything aged 12+ from a privately owned distillery (like Macallan), store the bottles upright in a cool place with no exposure to UV and you can sit on them indefinitely. Plus, there's nothing more liquid ;^)
>>
>>1411474
you pro scotch guy ? so i have a bottle of blue label, i opened it to try it, barely had an ounce.
is the value gone or will i be able to sell it ?
>>
>>1410823
>omaga
>>
Artwork
>>
>>1410698
lots of toys increase in value over time. popular license that maintain a fanbase and/or cult following, keep them unopened, and wait until they're no longer available in retail. They will at least double in price typically. It could be months or years before this happens, and this can take up varying amounts of space.

lego is more profitable than gold to invest in, typically.

wines and other "aged" consumables
>>
>>1411474
Yeah but what sort of increase in price are we talking here? A Macallan 18 turned 40, do you get some decent returns for that?
>>
>>1411641
1. Opened whisky is impossible to resell. It's better as a gift to a friend.

2. Johnnie Walker Blue has no age statement (it is a blend of various ages, at the discretion of the company), so it is widely available and is likely to be widely available for years to come.

Just enjoy it yourself.
>>
>>1411662
Absolutely. If you buy a Macallan 18 today, it will likely be from casks from 1997 and older and fetch a price from $210 to $255 in stores. Those are normal 18s.

There is debate as to the merits of vintages. Some professional tasters claim that Macallan 18s from 1988-now should all be of consistent quality (pre-1988 bottles were allowed to have certain additives). However, a bottle stamped 1988 will fetch about $1000 at auction. Mind that they sold for much less than the current market prices of $205-255 back in the day, so they've held up against ordinary CPI inflation. Even a 1995 vintage goes for $350. A friend of mine collects them obssessively and showed me his 1986, '88, and '92-'97. There were considerable differences in color between the '86, '88, and '90s line that collectors will pay for.

In the end, you can't swap this stuff like securites. Don't get into it for capital gains. Spending thousands on scotch is really about having prepaid assets. Better to spend $205 on an 18 and $45 on a 12 now before they go up in the coming decade. They should also be enjoyed over the course of months or years. Have some to drink, some to trade, and some to sell.
>>
solid gold bars
>>
>>1411467

if hillary wins then the ammo will go up you fucktard
>>
>>1410823
Chinpokomon
>South Park

Mah nigga
>>
File: $_57.jpg (121KB, 747x1327px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
121KB, 747x1327px
>>1410823

I want to add to this military uniforms from the past, especially camouflage has an active and growing collector community that is hitting it mainstream.

Like these French Indochina paratrooper trousers just closed on eBay for $2600 US...
>>
>>1410698
Why would you buy some physical bullshit over an index fund?

I was in your place and considered buying a Rollie, but then just found I can invest money in index funds instead. Have never regretted my decision. You can always buy a watch, but if you miss out on stocks early, then you miss out gains and compounding.
>>
>>1411657
Legos. It has been reported that Legos have outperformed stocks for the last 12 years.
>>
>>1412295
I'm in the UK and ideally I'd just invest in a FTSE 100 tracker but with brexit and the uncertainty of when we'll be triggering article 50 and the conditions of leaving the eu etc there is just too much uncertainty for it to be a safe bet
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 750x970px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 750x970px
I have a Gucci watch that looks just like that, it cost $1000

I kind of regret not going for the Rollie though
>>
File: 0041 - pz7fCP9.jpg (216KB, 1195x1151px) Image search: [Google]
0041 - pz7fCP9.jpg
216KB, 1195x1151px
I do not have many yet, but do you guys think WII U games will get expensive when they go out of production?
>>
>>1413077
no, go down to goodwill and see what all the obsolete games are going for
>>
>>1411467
Ammo will not expire in your lifetime if you don't store it underwater.
>>
>>1410698
>>1410718
>>1410712
The problem with the rolex is liquidity. Even if the value increases over time, it will be hard to find a buyer quickly if you need cash. It'll be even harder to convince potential buyers that it's real without showing it to them in real life, which uses up your time
>>
>>1410698
Arcade gaming machines, pinball machines, first gen consoles.
>>
>>1410698
Funko Pop Figures
Comic Books
>>
>>1413077
only a handful of them

even NES games rarely go for over their original MSRP. as high as prices are, even now, most are still around the $10-$20 range

>>1410720
have fun when korg reissues a clone of your old synth
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.