[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since degrees clearly aren't worth the debt anymore, who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: me right fucking now.jpg (14KB, 600x238px) Image search: [Google]
me right fucking now.jpg
14KB, 600x238px
Since degrees clearly aren't worth the debt anymore, who else is /ITCertifications/ here?

I'm studying my ass off and trying to learn as much as I can to escape retail hell before Christmas. I've downloaded the CBT Nuggets series on the Linux+/LPIC 1/Suse CLA and plan on taking that soon. Once I pass that and get the 3 certs, I'm going to get my CCENT and CCNA.

Does anyone have experience with getting the LPIC 2 and RHCSA/RHCE? From the LPIC 1, which one should I go for? I've read the LPIC 2 is far more in depth than the RHCSA since it isn't platform specific but any company running RHEL wants those certs. Which ones make more money?

Down the line I eventually want to get my OSCP and CPT because it'd be fun...but where is the real money at?
>>
File: 1468862086469.jpg (46KB, 400x568px) Image search: [Google]
1468862086469.jpg
46KB, 400x568px
>>1410444

Glad to see Kek is with me.
>>
>>1410444
>Since degrees clearly aren't worth the debt anymore,

[CITATION NEEDED]

Many degrees are very worth it. Business and STEM pays off tremendously. You will never really regret having either of those degrees, even if you end up starting your own business or working unrelated fields it's very easy to leverage them or have something to fall back on. You'll never really regret it.
>>
>>1410452
> regret having the degrees
No
> regret spending my 20's and 30's in debt because degree
Yes.

You get a CCNA + LPIC 1 for under $3000 and get started at 50K as a sysadmin or network engineer, and that nearly doubles in under a decade.
>>
File: 1467727280060.png (188KB, 877x643px) Image search: [Google]
1467727280060.png
188KB, 877x643px
>>1410460
>> regret having the degrees
>No

pic related

>> regret spending my 20's and 30's in debt because degree
>Yes.

That doesn't fucking happen if you're not a dumbass, man.

You're suppose to work and do internships while in College. And if you major in STEM/Business you get a high paying job that easily pays off that debt in a few years at most. You can even go to CC for two years to minimize the debt. Combined with scholarships, grants and stuff it lowers it substantially
>>
>>1410460
Just got my CCNA after studying for 4 months. Have no background at all in IT and am kind of clueless about most of this stuff. Pretty surprised/happy that I actually did it, but do I need an LPIC-1 or more to get a network engineer job? I could definitely get it if I wanted to.

Just got the CCNA and haven't started applying for jobs so I'm just wondering if I'll even get a call back without more than this.
>>
>>1410463

>ha don't be a dumbass, just work your ass off for slave wages and borrow more on top of that. Then work for free to show them how desperate you are. Then after 4-5 years you can start the job you'll have in 6 months if you get your stupid certifications with no debt incurred or working without pay. Obviously the degree is the better choice, you moron, you just have to do it right.
>>
>>1410471
>Then work for free to show them how desperate you are

Internships are paid
>>
File: FB_IMG_1469750007275.jpg (22KB, 325x395px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1469750007275.jpg
22KB, 325x395px
>>1410470

I've worked for ISP's before in bigger cities, and some hiring managers who actually know how to use a command line care more about certifications starting "CC" then they do a BS/BA.

I've seen CS graduates who couldn't program their way out of a paper bag. CCNA shows you're intelligent and self motivated-because you have to be in order to get it; plus it covers everything in more basic certifications like CompTIA's Network+. CCNA is actually better for getting the interview and the job than the LPIC is in my opinion. You should go for it.

The thing about LPIC is the Level 1 also gets you CompTIA Linux+ and SUSE CLA as well- 3 certs for the price of one. They don't start REALLY paying off until you can tackle the LPIC 2 and 3.
>>
>degrees not worth the debt
That depends, there's like 6 undergraduate degrees that will actually get you a job and the pay you what you deserve out of school. Plus, when you start moving up some employers might fuck with you not having an undergraduate degree and prevent you from getting promoted. I don't know to what point they would do that for an Network Engineer. I would imagine with enough experience they wouldn't fuck with you, but don't be surprised if that happens. If I wasn't playing on being an accountant and racking up those CPA points I'd just stay in Community College for Networking or Trade school.
>>
>>1410477
Right on, thanks bro.
>>
File: diyHero-2.jpg (21KB, 280x245px) Image search: [Google]
diyHero-2.jpg
21KB, 280x245px
>>1410472

not with every stupid spic and refugee that shows up to do it for free dumbass faggot
>>
>>1410859
if your job is easy enough for it to be done by uneducated spics and refugees, then you shouldnt be paid.
>>
>>1410869

its not that its "easy", its that they get to go to school for free..so where does that leave you when your paying for classes and they aren;t
>>
>>1410460
Neat. What would the UK equivalent qualification be?
>>
I'm getting a god damn certificate from my community college for some IT shit.

Lel

I've also been working at it for like 3 years since I'm too lazy to actually finish it, but atleast it keeps my parents off my back. Fuck I'm pathetic as shit

The sad thing is, they have a thing where you can test out of classes, and I actually did that for some of the classes
>>
>>1410444
>Since degrees clearly aren't worth the debt anymore

FAFSA? Scholarships? Pell Grants? Work part-time? Go to a community college for your AA/AS and then transfer to the more expensive school when you have money saved from working your first two years of college?

Who says you need debt to attend?
>>
>>1410875
Also, what's the most useful certificate you can start with if the limit of your experience is installing linux? Are any of them doable for newbies?
>>
>>1410900
I'd start with the Linux+ or LPIC 1 since they're basically the same. After playing around with Linux for a few years this has really filled in the gaps and taught me a lot. CBT Nuggets have a good series teaching them.

If the LPIC 1 seems too hard or above your skill level, try this:

https://www.lpi.org/certification/linux-essentials/
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.