[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it viable to make a living selling shit online or have all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 00Z0Z_cuCIfFjX9sM_1200x900.jpg (15KB, 646x220px) Image search: [Google]
00Z0Z_cuCIfFjX9sM_1200x900.jpg
15KB, 646x220px
Is it viable to make a living selling shit online or have all those niches been filled by now?

I'm disabled, I can't hold down a real job, chronic pain leaves me unable to function much for months at a time but I can handle stuffing things in envelops and posting them. I started selling shit on Ebay, but there is so little profit margin that it's basically 1 free vidya a month at most.

I don't want to sit on Autism bucks my entire life. I'd rather stand on my own two feet but I'm struggling to find options online. I wouldn't mind training a new skill set but the obvious "dude just learn to code" is no damn use to me since I just don't work in the way coding requires you to.

What sort of options do I have or should I just accept I'm disabled and can't do anything more?
>>
Trade stocks, Can you click a mouse
>>
http://www.profitscraper.com/
>>
Hey man. That sucks to be in your condition. There are still many niches to be found, sure, but it's getting harder since Chinese factories are now allowed to sell direct on ebay, amazon etc. Or so I hear.

You say you don't like coding, but what about website design? I can't stand learning coding either, but I learnt HTML in about 5 hours and CSS in about a week. Top that off with a working knowledge of photoshop and illustrator and you can start your own business making websites. Now, I know it's low entry and hard to make great sums of money from, but if you get good you're sure to make some extra cash that give you a little more independence.

But, if you really want to do something great, get rid of your internet connection, cold turkey. Downgrade to a dumbphone. Read, study a language, draw, paint, whatever. Though your condition is no doubt debilitating, you do have the opportunity here to do what many people simply don't have the time to do. Maybe that's a little bit of a positive in an otherwise shitty situation?
>>
>>1409154
I'm too unreliable for that sort of thing DESU. That's my biggest problem. I can go downhill in literally seconds. One moment I can be fine and the next I need an ambulance to pick my ass up off the floor where I passed out from how much pain I'm in. I can be off my face on pain killers for months at a time, where I can't focus on much more than vidya.

I do /tg/ shit for fun. I've considered trying to turn that into a way to make beer money but it doesn't seem viable because the market is over saturated and you need to canvas locally which I can't do as I can't reliably get to the local stores.

I have done some t-shirt designs in the past and I can write worth a damn but I haven't found a successful outlet for those options as the market is so over saturated.
>>
>>1409041
yes selling stuff online can still be profitable. both through your own venue and through ebay.

ebay is the easiest starting point as it provides an easy source of traffic.

if there is little profit margin for you then youre in the wrong niche or (more than likely) you just need to find a new source of inventory. Yes, many/most of them are difficult to get into. Yes, you will spend a significant amount of time trying different things with decent profit margins and volume of sales. Yes, it is still completely possible to succeed.

The hardest part is to keep going through the difficult stages. For some people the hard parts can take a few weeks, for others it might take a few years. for some reason even after you find the sweet spot, it might dry up and you have to start the process over again.

these rules apply to -any- business practice. ANYTHING you get into will have varying degrees of difficulty to make it financially successful for you, and has the chance to dry up.

there are also various other ways to make money on the internet besides selling physical goods. Look into Online Marketing/Internet marketing. There are literally dozens of methods and infant ways to implement them for profits.

Most/all of them will require dedication on your part to learn, practice, grow and perfect.

There are very few "get rich quick and easy" methods in the world today. If that's what you want then you might as well roll over and die now.
>>
>>1409041

Don't sell stuff online. eBay/Amazon fees are enormous and advertising your own ecommerce site is too expensive.

Instead, write articles for online content mills: BlogMutt, TextBroker, ConstantContent, Upwork, Freelancer.com

(I buy articles from these services for use on my own websites)
>>
>>1409360
I was under the impression those websites are massively over populated and it's only possible to make beer money writing for them
>>
>>1409360
he shouldnt tell you -dont-. he says this because he does not see a possible way to do it successfully, but as I stated before, it -is- possible to build large enough to be completely self sustained through selling physical products online. you just have to work out the details, like creating any business.

the same applies to his countersuggestion. Yes those avenues are highy populated and lots of people probably only make beer money on them, but I gaurentee you theres plenty of people who are living a full lifestyle off of those platforms as well.

it all depends on how much effort you're willing to invest and how long you're willing to try.
>>
>>1410082
I don't mind putting the effort in but the effort can't be wasted. It's no good making chump change on ebay for five years if I could invest my time better else where and make a living.
>>
>>1410117
I invested around 5 years into various internet marketing paths AND another portion of that 5 years into ebaying. I made decent money with IM and wound up becoming a full time ebayer. If i had quit 1 year, 2 years, 4.5 years in all that would have been "wasted"

on the other hand, i continued my "IRL career" and treated the growing process as a hobby. I worked at it knowing I was going to fail and experience downfall, but continued forward because it became a fun learning project/pastime activity for me that eventually bore fruit. Hell, to this very day I -still- consider myself in the learning and growing phase, because I've not gotten it to reach the level I want yet.

Also, I've been "working on it" for 5 years, but it's not like I've spent 5 whole years doing nothing but IM/ebay 24/7/365. The "5 years" ranges anywhere from 1-100 hours a week put in, depending on what I'm working, level of motivation for that particular week, and how absorbed i've gotten into it.

point is, anything you do is in life will take time to refine and perfect, and the only way to truly have it be a waste of time is if you quit before success. that's up to you as an individual to figure out where the line is drawn.

To be frank, you seem to have a very defeatist attitude. the way you've spoken in this thread in -every- post sounds like you've already failed and defeated yourself before you've even started.

you very well may not see what you consider to be success for -years- to come, it depends on how good you naturally are, how fast you learn, and a bit about how lucky you are to jump into a winning path. As I said, going into business for yourself in ANY way requires certain levels of dedication and determination. That's why most people just get a job working for someone else, they lack the drive to push themselves forward.

Question is, do you?
>>
Crohn's?
>>
>>1409041

> I wouldn't mind training a new skill set but the obvious "dude just learn to code" is no damn use to me since I just don't work in the way coding requires you to.

Can you elaborate on that? Coding gigs can be very flexible. I'm on track to earn over $80k this year as a freelancer, which isn't that much after taxes, but I have an insane amount of freedom and flexibility. I work remotely, set my own hours, adhere to no fixed schedule, often take weeks or entire months off from work, and have an endless supply of work from one mid-sized client.

> Is it viable to make a living selling shit online or have all those niches been filled by now?

"Selling shit online" is like bootstrapping your own software company. Sure, it's possible, but it's really fucking hard. Ryan Deiss can consistently do the former, and Rob Walling can consistently do the latter. So it's something that can be systematized and repeated. But make no mistake... Unless you get extremely lucky, it will be an insane amount of work.

I know quite a few people who have earned many hundreds of thousands online at one point, only to watch it all dry up and owe a shit-ton in back taxes.

They still have careers. 9-5's. They make quite a lot of money, but not much more per hour than I do as a web developer, and these guys literally make millions of dollars for their companies through PPC campaigns and whatnot.
>>
affiliate marketing
>>
>>1410674
What programming language should I learn if I want to work as a freelancer ?
>>
>>1410481
If I had a defeatist attitude I would of given up by now. I have limitations I have to work around and it sucks but that's how life goes.

>>1410674
I simply don't get on with coding. I can't see the text and put it into a real situation. Think of it like being a sculptor, if you give me a block of stone I can chip away at it and make it look great but if you give me a blank canvas I go "eh.." Coding is more of a blank canvas than it is a block of stone.
>>
>>1410695

Strong JavaScript skills are in very high demand, especially when combined with a UI framework like React. It'll empower you to build web apps (both client-side and server-side), native mobile apps (via React Native), desktop apps (via Electron), etc.
>>
>>1410860
Thank you
>>
>>1409041
>Chronic pain

>not popping Vicodin and becoming a doctor who plays by his own rules
>>
>>1411006
If only life was TV..
>>
everything is always saturated. just nut up and take your piece of the pie.
>>
>>1410796
this just means you havent learned very much about coding

I was the same way up until I finally had a real desire to create something I needed.

think about what you want/need. is it in a window? Okay, code in that window. is there a button on that window? Alright add the button. What's that button do when you push it? write that in

etc etc. It's a learning curve, but it's really not that hard. the true difficulty of coding (for me at least), is to realize that you have to account for every possible situation that could occur

I've always looked at coding as a street system being built. There's a main path that is the concept of what this software does, but it has a billion side roads that you can travel down, some of them are paths you want to take at some point, many are dead ends. You have to notice all of those paths and tell your code how to handle them, or else you crash.

I'm not saying its easy, cause I know the feeling youre sharing here, but once you get your head wrapped around it it becomes a lot more simple
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.