[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you learn to invest? Or is the majority here just gambling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: hillary v trump.jpg (272KB, 1001x879px) Image search: [Google]
hillary v trump.jpg
272KB, 1001x879px
How did you learn to invest?
Or is the majority here just gambling and roleplaying, throwing expensive words around?
>>
>>1406751
>How did you learn to invest?
I've been at it a decade and am still learning.

>Or is the majority here just gambling and roleplaying, throwing expensive words around?
yes
>>
>>1406751
Read a book called Intelligent Investor
>>
>>1406751

You need a sense of common sense is all.
Learn how to save, learn what risks are worth to take and then you van begin to learn about the more complex mechanisms of the market
>>
I started by reading bigger pockets and studying my local market. Going to open houses, reading redfin and rentometer, estimating various costs of small projects around my house, all of that helped.

I eventually got to the point where I could estimate off the top of my head any property's NOI in about for or five different cities.

Then I found a mentor and have been learning from him about more in depth things like depreciation, tax minimization, RE notes, etc.

I'm definitely not a master, but I know a lot more now than when I started.
>>
>>1406751
I read books, news articles, /biz/, played the stock market game, and watched financial news shows
>>
>>1406761
This guy is the realest answer if you mean investing as in "seeking alpha".

>>1406780
This guy is the realest answer if you mean generating normal risk-adjusted returns.
>>
>>1406772
Seeing as we don't live in the 1960's, don't read The Intelligent Investor if you are trying to create abnormal returns. It should read as a love letter to the passive investing styles of index tracking and holding bonds.
>>
>>1407512
You shouldnt try to create abnormal returns. The people who do often take extreme risk,which is the polar oposite of what Graham suggests.

Medium-ish returns coupled with low risk over time. Best way to get rich.
>>
>>1406751

I started with reading a blog about stocks. Then I paper traded a little, after a while I changed to small amount of stocks to learn. I read two books on the generals after that, and started reading a lot on web sites like investopedia. Now I'm currently trading daily and reading books like "Trade your way to financial freedom".

I currently have a 17,7 percent drawdown though. So right now I'm less risky.
>>
12 years of investing and I didn't outperform the S&P 500 (+97%). I decided early this year to stop stock picking, and just use index funds. "Learning to Invest" is a waste of time. If I had used those 2 or so hours a week *12 years growing my own business instead of investing, I would be a much richer man.
>>
>>1409304
>12 years of investing and I didn't outperform the S&P 500
>"Learning to Invest" is a waste of time
Are these two statements connected somehow?
>>
>>1409304
>12 years
>no progress

Tbh you just sound like an idiot. Same as most people ITT
>>
>>1406751
tastytrade
a
s
t
y
>>
I just listen to the memes. Some work. Some don't.
>>
>>1406751
Go to college you faggot
>>
>>1406751
Look up stock you are interested in.
Learn everything about entity behind the stock. Decide whether or not to buy.
Learn how stock market works.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.