[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ Reformatting to windows 7 is shitty due to windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Microsoft_Excel_2013_logo.svg.png (59KB, 2000x1964px) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft_Excel_2013_logo.svg.png
59KB, 2000x1964px
Hey /biz/
Reformatting to windows 7 is shitty due to windows update and I was thinking of maybe maining linux.
Do you have experience with using linux for finance? Im particularly curious about linux alternatives for excel. Is this a bad idea?
>>
selfbump
>>
>>1404282
Also curious, bump
>>
Windows 7 is still fine, you have full control of updates.

Well, try them out yourself. Most open source office suits are multiplatform. One of my previous employers used OpenOffice in 2012. It's mostly like MS Office, they even have a few smarter features I quite liked. I didn't use OpenOffice Calc all that much, but it served all my basic needs. They have online documentation and back then it looked like it could do pretty much everything Excel could (with mostly the same function names as well).

You'll have to look into it, I believe OpenOffice sold out recently, but I'm not sure. I keep hearing LibreOffice passed around as the best non-commercial alternative to MS, but as I said - look into it yourself. You can download them and try them out, they're light-weight and easily run beside MS Office without conflict.

Since the newer MS formats (like xlsx) are XML-based, they're compatible as well.
>>
Dude, just download the rollups and it's done in like an hour. They were made for a reason.
>>
>>1404264
its all web based dumbass
>>
>open Run
>type up "services.msc"
>select the "windows update" service
>disable it

It won't bother you ever again.
>>
>>1404264
traderfag here. Depending on the complexity of your operations, you might get screwed on linux. Openoffice/Libreoffice works fine for basic operations and formulas, but as soon as you get into more sophisticated stuff, the thing might crash without apparent reason, or simply be unable to conduct your calculations.

If you use W7, you can manually adjust the update settings, so they are only done when you allow them manually. That way you can work without interruption, and take like half an hour a month where you do all your updates (and required restarts) in one go.
>>
it depends on what you're doing. in many cases it wont be viable since you will need to use many different programs that arent available for linux. i guess you could emulate them or something but they would probably run less effective / be less stable. the thing about using linux as a main operating system in a business setting is this : unless there is a clear reason to use linux, its best to use windows. the only people ive heard ever have an actual good reason to use linux is programmers that do pretty specific stuff.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.