[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A colleague working in the same project under a different boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Dilbert.gif (38KB, 560x174px) Image search: [Google]
Dilbert.gif
38KB, 560x174px
A colleague working in the same project under a different boss is asking me via e-mail if it's possible for me to do X for him.

It's possible but it's not as simple as he seems to think and would require a bit of work. Actually, let me rephrase that. It's not a trivial thing in general, but it's simple enough for me since I've done it before. It will still take a bit of work, but in the interest of the project it makes more sense for me to do it in two hours than for that guy to spend weeks trying to figure it out or it not getting it done at all.

The problem is my boss is touchy about people ignoring him and contacting his subordinates directly instead of going through him, which is what happened here. If it was something I could do in ten seconds it wouldn't matter, but in this case it would.

Should I reply to my colleague saying it's more complex than he thinks but I could do it? Should I merely inform him it's more complex than he thinks and leave it to him to properly request me to do it, hopefully through my boss?

Should I cc my boss to the reply?
>>
reply to the dude saying it's going to take a bit of time but you're interested in it and it might be a good venture, and ask the boss, CC the boss in of course.

there, he might get a slap on the wrist OR your boss might think that it's a good idea and give either of you praise.

who cares
>>
>>1401845
I second this

I'd only add "if it's fine with [insert boss here]" Then it's perfect.
>>
>>1401845
>who cares
You've never had someone take credit for your work?

Moreover, this boss is touchy about not being his nose in the middle of every interaction? Is he also the kind of boss that makes you think chain of command is where good ideas go to die?

The safest thing is to tell this colleague (just him) to ask your boss if you can help with X. Don't throw him under the bus with a CC and certainly don't stick your neck out. I know you want to help but you have no idea what kind of tools are lurking in your office waiting to take offense.
>>
>>1401845
>>1402973
Thanks, that's pretty much what we went with and had a three-way meeting later in the afternoon. We ended up arranging for me to do it by Monday. In truth I have already done it but I think I'll sit on it until Monday.

>Moreover, this boss is touchy about not being his nose in the middle of every interaction? Is he also the kind of boss that makes you think chain of command is where good ideas go to die?

Mostly he's touchy about people who aren't his subordinates bugging his subordinates who each have their own work to do.

I think he's trying to make it seem like we're overworked to support his fight for a higher staff budget to get more subordinates.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.