[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /biz/, I'm lost right now. My father owns a (portion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (4KB, 514x98px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 514x98px
Okay /biz/, I'm lost right now.

My father owns a (portion of?) section of the snap-on business, easily raking in 150k a year, and he has offered to help me start up. I'm currently in college for economics. I'm worried about his offer though, because I do NOT want to be stuck in my current area for the rest of my life (DE). Should I say no? Is there a way I can open this franchise elsewhere ?

Oh, and I hardly know a thing about tools.
>>
Take your silver spoon and fuck off you piece of shit
>>
>>1391673
But even with accepting my own silver spoon, do you think I could start up elsewhere?
>>
Leave - you will only fuck up your dads business and he will end up resenting you more than he already does. Your a failure. Realize it and join the army or something.
>>
>>1391668
Off topic, but I love snap-on

I only wrench sling for personal hobby stuff, but snap-on makes some of the best stuff by a mile. If something somehow manages to break, I don't have to deal with any bullshit, I just get a replacement. Practically speaking I can't justify the cost, but damn it's nice to use proper tools.

It's like buying a good set of knives for your kitchen. Once you've used a quality tool it's really hard to let yourself go back to anything else. Little things like the grips fitting comfortably, not trying to reduce material usage and having random flex, and the balance. It's just better, even if you can't articulate exactly why.
>>
>>1392706
This post was completely related. Snap-on is one of the best franchises in the United States. There have only been a handful of closures in Snap-on's entire history because everyone loves the product.

OP, if your father owns a great Snap-on store, he probably knows a regional franchise manager. See if you can open another store or GM your dad's. They are very selective where you put up the store, but it is a cash cow that can run itself.
>>
>>1392706

the garage i work at has a took chest worth 100k...so...
>>
>>1392709
I can easily believe it. Neighbor owns a very successful body shop. He doesn't do much of the work anymore and just runs it, but I was talking about something being difficult to work on. He swung by, took a look at my situation, and the next day he came back with this magical torque wrench that did the exact job I needed in the tiny space I was confined to. It was some 5000 dollar monstrosity of a tool, and it meant I could do what would have taken me 10+ hours in under 15 minutes. That specific tool wasn't worth getting for me, but for his shop I can totally see how it would pay for itself in a couple of years. He says his shop has about 600,000 in tools, and they've been almost exclusively snap-on for nearly 25 years.

Within 6 months of that and borrowing some other wrench from him, I'd spent about 6,000 on various specialty tools specific to my hobby interests, and a bunch of general stuff like ratchets and open ended wrenches. I felt really guilty about it for a while, but I've saved hundreds of hours over the years, and it's just more satisfying using stuff that's properly weighted and fits in my hands. My at the time girlfriend was not happy with how much I spent, but she's bought nearly as many snap-on tools as I have at this point.

So many companies keep trying to cut quality for short term profits these days. Craftsman has gone to pigshit. Snap-on does not compromise. I don't pretend to fundamentally 'know' tools, but I can appreciate quality when I see it, and to me it's worth it, even as a nonprofessional.
>>
>>1392479
>your a failure
Stop grasping for straws when it comes to English. Suck the juices from the cock(tail) of a dic(k)tionary.
>>
>>1392479
>wag stop triggering me I'm assuming you can't learn anything about business so I'm going to whine about it
Okay.

>>1392706
Yeah, I've seen that the business is very relaxed, I didn't think the company would be so giving. A lot of people take advantage though, and my father finds that out more than he'd like. They'll say "oh, my wrench broke, can I get a new one?" But really just rip him off

>>1392707
Thank you. I know snap on is more of a "southern" thing here in the states, but I'd like to move north a little, but like you said, I'll have to see with a manager or someone who can tell me where I'll be allowed to set up.

On another note, how frowned upon is it to leave/sell the business after I've amassed enough to move on to another business that I'd like to start up?
>>
>>1392869
Snap-on is a nationwide thing. No other truck tool company has the market share and penetration of snap on. Sure, Matco and Mac and Cornwell are there, but your safest bet if you're going to start a tool business is snap on.
Not that it's easy, if your route has a bunch of deadbeat techs and dead end shops or you can't collect, you're going to have a bad time and then whoever you sell for is going to start fucking you up.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.