[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My coworkers tell me stories about their kids - all of whom are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (62KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 400x600px
My coworkers tell me stories about their kids - all of whom are either juniors or seniors on college. During their internships, their sons/daughters are being flown around the country to give presentations to Chief officers of these mid/large sized corporations and being courted to join their corporate programs at management level. These interns typically major in common engineering and business disciplines at well-ranked state schools (Penn State, Rutgers, etc). Many are Indian so I know culturally they get pushed a little harder to succeed, but some are white as well.

While these stories are likely embellished a little, I'm sure the gist of them are true.

What do companies gain from doing this? What generates such an intense interest in some of these students who -aside from having good greats and a good work ethic - probably don't stand out from the 10s of thousands of honors students at other state schools.

It's just foreign to me and maybe you guys can explain it better. The smartest people still need to learn the ins and outs of a company and I don't understand what these interns are doing so differently where they come for two months and suddenly they are qualified to lead a team over the more senior employees, are flown around the country, and have rent provided while they work. I work for a very large, non-sexy company and have never even seen our CEO in person.
>>
>>1389127
Nepotism
>>
>>1389154

/thread
>>
> What do companies gain from doing this?

Internships are largely a marketing exercise. It is extremely beneficial to have a student go back to school and tell all his/her friends about the interesting work they did at McWageCuck Consulting and how much prestige the organization has.

> don't stand out from the 10s of thousands of honors students

Right. 4.0 GPA with nice extra-curricular are fairly common (at that salary range). What they're looking for is a solid student that also has family connections. If your client's CEO has a nephew working at your firm, keeping them as a client becomes exponentially easier.

Chelsea Clinton got a $900,000/year job after graduating. Do you honestly think it was because of her worth as a person or because it was an easy gateway into the Clinton's?
>>
>>1389154
>>1389158
No. They aren't well off enough to have those types of connections. We do well where I work but we aren't in those wink wink nod nod industries.
>>
>>1389127

it's bubble behavior.

-companies have more money to spend, so the budget expands.
-it's a tighter job market, so companies compete with each other.
-the way they compete with young people is by letting them know just how fucking important they are and how they are going to change the goddamn world.

they aren't "management level" programs - they are "management development" programs. it's how 'industry' companies (companies that make things) have chosen to compete with banks, consulting firms, and tech companies in trying to attract talent - they offer titles, pretend responsibility and ego stroking.

a company i worked for tried to institute an intern-to-full time employee development program in my division. the division wasn't very big - 150 people - so after 2 years of bringing on 8 or 10 people each year, we were left with way too many people that had no useful skills or experience.

eventually, nearly everyone that was hired through that program was laid off or quit.
>>
>>1389164
That's good input, but again I'm just talking about my employees who I should have specified, upper middle class wage-slaves. Their kids - along with maybe a handful of others in their program - go through internship programs with seriously good perks. I mean compensating interns for rent? It just is foreign to me. I did a couple of internships and we had resoonsibilities and accomplished a lot but it wasn't anything where a VP or CEO was courting me personally
>>
>>1389190
>where a VP or CEO was courting me personally

They're not. Anything an intern does is going to be at least checked on by two employees. If an intern is allowed to speak to a client then they have to be trusted enough and be talking about something low-impact enough that even if they fuck up it won't ruin the relationship.

This goes back to the internship as a marketing exercise. These kids are going to go back to school (and tell their parents) about how cool working for McWageCuck Consulting is.

The truth is a lot of organizations save the "cool" tasks for interns and leave the boring stuff to employees. They pay them the same as a first year employee (maybe even a bit more - again so they tell their friends how many shekels they raked in at McWageCuck Consulting). It is all a marketing exercise in an effort to attract the best possible employees with the best possible connections.
>>
The kids are lying to the parents.
>>
>>1389272
No. The parents are lying to you.
>>
>>1389167
Its nepotism, young grasshopper. They have family in teh C-level and above. Indians are notorious for this kind of behavior.
>>
>>1389209
>This goes back to the internship as a marketing exercise. These kids are going to go back to school (and tell their parents) about how cool working for McWageCuck Consulting is.
Also this. Everything is designed for you to be at awed of the place so you go back and chill for the company. Most of these companies tend to have toxic work cultures. You're expected to work at home and during your vacation time. There is a reason why some people just don't work in Corporate America and just stick to the small businesses. Tech companies are the worst companies in America. They give you all these perks so you can live at work. Millennials are being groomed for slavery. This is why the Boomers and Xers are pissed off at the Millennials. You guys are promoting toxic work cultures.
>>
>>1389398
>You guys are promoting toxic work cultures
It's funny because all you here about is how mellinials are demanding a better work-life mix, with more time off, more vacation, and less stress. I haven't heard anything like what you're talking about
>>
>>1389209
This.
>worked directly for CFO of a large public company as a bschool intern
>thought I was hot shit
>end of summer get offer
>pay sucks it's a cut from my job before bschool
>take offer anyway bc young cuck
>first day of real job
>find out I work in cost accounting now
>find out the mousey quiet Asians all have MBAs too
>and CPAs and they're all take l3 CFA exam together
>find out I won't work on another strategic project again for probably 5 or 10 years
feelsbad.jpg
Quit 6mos. later to work for a startup hedge
>>
>>1389127
I'm interning at a big tech company. You've heard of it and probably use it everyday. My project will save the company $25 million in storage costs. Tech companies get cheaper labor from interns and when they are done they are trained and proven to be good employees (unless they suck in that case won't get a rwturning)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.