[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, my grandparents are telling me that they'll pay for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: bear.png (2MB, 1237x925px) Image search: [Google]
bear.png
2MB, 1237x925px
So, my grandparents are telling me that they'll pay for college, but my scores are a 1590/2400 on the SAT and a 2.8 GPA and I can only get into extremely average universities that don't even have engineering and actually have 3+2 physics/engineering programs. Should I just go anyway or should I not get involved spending grandparents money on a shitty school? They didn't even bother telling me until just now, about a month before shit starts so I'd have to apply to these rolling admissions places like right fucking now so i need to know what to do.

shitty schools like
>South Dakota State University
>Edinboro University
>Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
>Green River College

universities nobody really gives a fuck about, basically, but I get to go 100% free. What should I do? Is this an opportunity that I'd be retarded to not pass up?

One thing they said though is that they will not pay for community college because they don't believe in the quality of my local CC and they don't want me being around the people in CC. Also because they'd have to pay for an apartment and they don't want me to deal with it and shit like that.
>>
They're totally right about community college. Smart people.

Have you tried Utah State? They have a solid engineering program and aren't too selective
>>
>>1386912
Thanks for the recommendation. They have rolling admission and I'd maybe have a shot getting in. Thank you for that. They're letting me apply up to ten schools so I have quite a list to fill ASAP.
>>
>>1386905

I'd say try to find a state school and really spend some time on your essays to perfect them. Schools have a bell curve in their student body usually when it comes to scores so you'll have to fight for a spot but it's not impossible. Larger state schools generally provide a decent enough education, have a larger active alumni base and also a larger active student body that can be an easier setting to make friends in

What state are you from? Rolling admissions will be tough but if you professionally, and kindly, explain your situation a lot of these school will let you apply late. Your chances are obviously hurt by this but schools are always willing to boost their numbers if you can sell them that you will not drop out by year 2.

You can explain your financial situation in a direct, short manner and that you would work really hard because the opportunity of going to a good school is slim for you and this might be your only chance to make a greater positive impact on yourself and your community around you.
>>
>>1386941
I'm in Pennsylvania. I appreciate this advice. Thank you.
>>
>>1387003
Bloom isn't that bad.

But apply to a Penn State satellite campus, do something like math, get good grades, then transfer to Main after two years as an engineering student.

Your high school guidance counselor should be helping you with this.
>>
Has nobody else ever heard of a transfer before? Boo-hoo you'll have to wait a year to go to the school you want
>>
>>1386905
35 ACT - 2320/2400 SAT here. 3.0 GPA and going to CC for two years, because I fucked around in HS and didn't do any ECs.

I know a bunch of lads (who are going to better colleges right now) who are going two years at a state school to get their GENEDs done and then switch over to Ivys.

This:
>>1387090
>>
>>1387063
I'm not in high school.

>>1387090
Credits don't seem to transfer.
>>
>>1387127
Call your targets and ask them if credits from the schools you can get into (late) will transfer. If not, tell the transfers and enrollment offices (of the school you're going to be attending) that you plan to transfer to a school with an engineering program and that you need the most transferable credits.

You probably will have to take a few classes that weren't transferable, but that's life.
>>
>>1386905
Nobody really gives a fuck about any university. Even the best programs are barely going to touch on the skills needed for real life jobs. Universities are so out of touch it is unreal. Your best bet is to try to do an intro position at a major company related to your field of study while going to school. Internships are probably second best. Last best is to waste years trying to wrangle whatever intro requirements are needed for a 'good' university.
>>
>>1386905
i dated a girl at Edinboro. fun school
>>
>>1387149
From my own research, it seems that universities don't matter much unless you're going to a legitimate, overall top 10 that everyone in the world knows the name of.

>>1387150
It's about 2.5 hours away from me and I'm pretty sure I could get in for Physics/Engineering or CS so that's why I was considering it.
>>
>>1387151
got ya. she studied nuclear medicine tech.
>>
Youngstown state university lets any retard in and has phd level engineering programs. On the downside you will be in yougstown.
>>
>>1387321
too many blacks
>>
>>1387325
Youngstown states black students are only 10% i think. Youngstown though has a lot of niggers but they are easy to avoid just dont go to their shitty hoods
>>
>>1386905
How well off are your grandparents? They are wrong about community college. If you were smart, you would take all your general ed courses that most people don't give a shit about at the cheaper community college and then transfer to a university. You would basically pay for a 4 year degree at half the cost. If at college you find out that it's not for you, at least you'll still have an AA or AS degree for the first 2 years you spent there. The downside is that with rising tuition, a lot more people are going the CC route so you might not be able to get all the required courses in a timely manner. Still, that would depend on your location. If you're surrounded by a lot of CCs, the courses are transferable to each other. You'll just need to talk to a counselor (this is the first thing you should do anyways).
>>
>>1387361
I think what OP is saying is that he is far away from community college (since he was talking about having to get an apartment and move in his initial post). You're in PA, OP, so I'm assuming you're talking about HACC or some shit.

Your grandparents are absolutely right about not getting a complete education and a degree from a community college, they're pieces of shit for full degrees. Especially from places like HACC. However, I saved about $2500 by taking classes (online and in-person) at my local branch of community college by taking general eds there.

Just make sure the credits transfer or you're fucked, dawg.
>>
>>1387361
They're basically willing to pay up to $100,000 but they would like it if I could make it like $60,000 or under as a 4 year total.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.