[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone give me a honest idea of how important math knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1457806020107.gif (2MB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
1457806020107.gif
2MB, 300x182px
Can anyone give me a honest idea of how important math knowledge is in the stock market and investments ?

What type of math should you learn is any?
Also is coding that big of a deal?
>>
Depends on your approach to trading, will you be making analytical models or will you be mainly researching news, hopefuly both.
>>
unimportant IMO
>>
File: 1416604249651.png (351KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1416604249651.png
351KB, 1920x1080px
>>1386122
You could come at it from the math side of things. But as markets are zero sum, you are against autistic level math heads, who have access to massive amounts of hashing power, who work for big banks, who front run the market with HFT algos. You can't win.

Far easier to come at from the macro human psychology angle. Markets go in cycles, the retail investor is dumb, think contrarian.

Tip: avoid real estate and bonds. Go for gold and silver
>>
>>1386122
Learn stats
>>
>>1386291
I can smell how broke you are from reading your advice. You people make me sick.

OP, go learn statistics, calculus, algebra, geometry, and DE. That's all of the maths that underly the market. Also, a little bit of physics wouldn't hurt even though that's a science.
>>
>>1386291
>markets are zero sum
Not remotely true

>front run the market
You don't even know what this means

>You can't win
Aaaand now we know you lost a lot of money
>>
>>1386305
this - stats drive statistical arbitrage and algo trading engines.

coding is a big deal if you're wanting to write your own engines - python at t push, java most usable in the RW, C++ if you're looking at low latency/hft - no offense but if you're asking you're probably not at the hft side of things yet.
>>
mathematics is a way of thinking
>>
>>1386291
"Frontrunning" as the SEC defines it requires violation of a fiduciary duty to ONE OF YOUR OWN CLIENTS. HFT has nothing to do with frontrunning. Please stop spreading misinformation you've read on liberal news sites.

If you're thinking of latency arbitrage, that's not illegal, though plenty of countermeasures have been developed. Here's the latest from RennTech (most baller hedge fund ever):

>http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-07/jim-simons-has-a-killer-flash-boy-app-and-you-can-t-have-it

As a normie investor, this stuff does not even remotely affect you anyways.

>hashing power
The markets aren't bitcoin. There's no hashing involved in trading (but probably in authentication systems surrounding it). There's grotesque amounts of machine learning, both supervised and unsupervised, crazy regression analysis, and nanosecond-optimized, L1 cache resident C++ and Java code. Read the "LMAX Disruptor" paper to get an easily approachable idea of the kinds of approaches actual players are using.

>https://lmax-exchange.github.io/disruptor/files/Disruptor-1.0.pdf
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.